Previous in Forum: Moulds   Next in Forum: Concrete Constituents Calculation
Close
Close
Close
17 comments
Participant

Petrol Mileage Formula

11/21/2006 5:16 AM

I drive to work everyday. There are two routes I can choose. One is a normal 10-mile road that takes 40 minutes. The other one is motorway that is around 20 miles long, but only takes 20 minutess. I'm thinking that the normal petrol-mileages formula (as I remember) shows the petrol usage vs. the distance. Does it take the time into account? Suppose, in the extreme case, that the road is very congested, so the car is running but not moving; then the petrol usage could be very high. Back to my case, is there any formula to assess which route is more economic?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: mileage petroleum
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Power-User
United States - Member - Germany - Member - Spain - Member - Trabajo en Pamplona

Re: Petrol Mileage Formula

11/21/2006 11:49 AM

Wouldn't which ever one has the highest MPG be the most economical? If you sitting in traffic then your fuel consumption will increase and your MPG will drop, this will be reflected in your standard calculation which doesn't include time. Sounds like you need to take a sampling of the moving average speed for each route and weight it against to MPG and make a value judgement on which is the most economical choice for you. Personally I'll take which ever route is the shortest amount of driving time.

Register to Reply
Guru
Philippines - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Who am I?

Good Answers: 51

11/22/2006 3:00 AM

I made an answer to this post but it didn't appear.

Do what I did.

I tanked up and noted the reading on my odometer. Then I took one route for several days until I needed to fill up again. I noted the number of kilometers I ran on that one tankful.

Then I repeated the same thing except, this time, I took the second route. Then I compared the number of kilometers travelled for each route. Whichever got the highest number was the route I took thereafter.

The technique works even if there's traffic. If one route gets more traffic than the other, it will show in the number of kilometers. Take the one with the higher number.

Good Answers: 130
In reply to #2

11/22/2006 4:15 AM

Wouldn't it be better to note the number of journeys per tankful using first one route, then the other? Whichever gives you more journeys on a tankful is the better route, the kilometres travelled doesn't matter.

Philippines - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Who am I?

In reply to #3

11/22/2006 8:17 AM

Yes, but I thought he was also interested in getting the mpg (or kpg in my case). You'd need the number of kilometers to get that figure. If you're just interested in finding out which is the more fuel efficient route then, yes, just count the number of trips.

11/22/2006 5:59 AM

Calculate your gas mileage for each type of driving and divide that in to the number of miles you will travel on each route for a week. The faster longer drive will have less wear and tare on your car as I assume the shorter route has a-lot of starts and stops. Last, isn't your time worth something. I know I could use the extra 40 minutes a day.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

11/22/2006 8:26 AM

Aha! But if the faster route turns out to be the most economical, he'd be killing two birds with one stone!

If the slower route turns out to be more economical, then he has to decide which is more important to him. Apparently, our friend is more concerned with economy than time saving. I suspect, however, that your question will give him food for thought.

In reply to #6

11/23/2006 5:15 AM

Cheers all. I totally agree with you guys that several repeat-drivings with each route will give some clue which one is more economics. The answers I really want to found out is if there is any empirical formula exist which including the time inside.

I went to watch the "an inconvenient truth" yesterday, it really touched me. Riding a bicycle to commute is too much to do, but still thinking which route will generate less CO2 emission etc.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

11/24/2006 7:20 AM

My old teacher would be wringing my ears now. "Read the question!" she'd say.

Okay, I tried to see if such a formula exists. No luck. I tried to see if I could derive it. Unfortunately, I'm not that good .

If you ran without any traffic, the long route is less economical. However, since traffic figures in the shorter route, the problem gets more complicated. The way I see it, you'd need to determine the relationship between speed and fuel consumption. Your average speed on the short route is half your speed on the long route. Generally speaking, the lower the speed, the lower the fuel efficiency. If you can determine the mpg per mph, you'd have a chance at getting a workable equation.

Therefore, I believe the way for you to get the formula is to do the repeat-drives and get data.

Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member

11/22/2006 9:03 AM

Read this thought. I am a student, I earn $10 per hour. My Father-in-law has a much higher pay scale. Our time is not worth the same amount. For him the MOST economical would most likely be the high speed route, irregardless of MPG(KPL). For me who has less money for my time, and less money in the bank, my MOST economical route would probably be the higher MPG(KPL). Economy of time for one, Economy of money for the other. As for a formula to add time i don't know.

In reply to #7

11/22/2006 9:52 PM

Our time is not worth the same amount.

Precisely, different people have different ideas of what's important to them. At this time, it may be hard to determine how important time is to you and it may be that the priorities may change with different situations (like when you're late for a date ). Overall, what we think is important to us is what determines what our decisions and actions will be.

By the way, if I earned $10 per hour, my own priorities would change!

11/22/2006 11:23 AM

Heck, for only 10 mi. I'd bicycle it at 1200 MPG,

get some exercize, save some money, and

save the environment as well.

Thats only a one hour commute,

not much longer than the 40 min it takes by car.

If there's a laziness factor, alternate days.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200

11/25/2006 12:37 PM

In reply to "Job", unless I see a very wellknown agency prove these claims fully, I will just believe its a con......so if the claims are found by the British AA or the German ADAC or the AAA in the USA to be accurate, then I am sure that it will make front page news for weeks and weeks.....but until then I will just not believe such claims!

I also feel that CR4 is not the correct place to be advertising either....

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

11/27/2006 4:29 AM

I have not the slightest interest in reading probable bogus claims from unknown agencies. Such claims for such products have been around for many years, it looks like they won't go away, sadly.

Only if one of the agencies I have already mentioned finds a positive effect, that MIGHT get me interested in reading more, nothing less than that.

12/01/2006 4:20 AM

I think that "Job" (whose comments I see have been eradicated - good) does not realise that generally speaking the people who submit comments to CR4 are not the dumbest people around. We know that if a car manufacturer could find a way, anyway, suddenly to improve the mileage for his cars by 25%, he would jump at the chance as most people check the mileage out as part of checking out the car before purchase.

As that has not happened (all improvements in this area take years and a lot of effort to get working correctly), we can safely say that the claims from "Job" were completely bogus and were designed to get people to part with their money unfairly....

Thankyou for removing his comments and ads.

12/31/2006 11:42 PM

yes there is formula.....

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #15

09/30/2008 1:19 PM

And it is....?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #16

09/30/2008 9:12 PM

...a secret...

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (3); Anonymous Poster (4); Codemaster (1); Jazzy1oh1 (1); stilljester (1); tuir (1); Vulcan (6)

Previous in Forum: Moulds   Next in Forum: Concrete Constituents Calculation

Advertisement