Previous in Forum: mechanical   Next in Forum: What is Thermic Corrosion?
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Participant

Coating and Painting Aluminum Composites

04/27/2009 8:27 AM

i am in the search for a solution for coating/painting aluminium composite. It is a special ACP, called hylite, and has a core of polypropylene (all others have polyethylene). The problem is that the manufactures (alcan) can provide it only in natural aluminium, and they say anodize is not possible. I have to believe them as i don't know what is the anodizing process for ACP. does anyone knows more about? especially if it is done before or after sandwiching the core.

Of course, any suggestion for having coated the aluminium panels is welcome. I tried the powder coating but it ends melting the core, so it is not a good option.

Thank you

Marius

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: ACP Anodize hylite Powder Coating
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194

Re: Coating and Painting Aluminum Composites

04/27/2009 1:36 PM

Hi nicubila,

"HYLITE® is a new composite aluminum panel with an aluminum look and a
polypropylene core. Its great appeal concerns the extremely reduced weight
(65% lighter compared to steel, 30% lighter compared to aluminum) combined with a considerable flexural strength.
HYLITE® offers a wide range of processing options. One unique feature, however, is the ability to 3-D form the material in the conventional way. In addition, it is possible to achieve almost all surface effects by powder coating. The additional temperature resistance up to 150 °C makes HYLITE® the first choice for a wide range of industrial applications. An extra new feature concerns the possibility of using the core of the sandwich construction as a hinge – and one that has been tested for its endurance strength by RWTÜV.

This means HYLITE® is making inroads into completely new applications such as the office environment. There are almost no limits imposed on your creativity."

This is from Alcan's flyer: seeing that it says that it is typically powder-coated ("In addition, it is possible to achieve almost all surface effects by powder coating."), call them and see what they recommend.

Mike

In reply to #1

04/27/2009 1:54 PM

Hi Mikerho

and thanks a lot for the reply.

I already followed your suggestion and I called the guys, talked with the person responsible for hylite. He confirmed the powder coating possibility, but could not give me more details. He said there are some companies in Germany that successfully made the powder coating, but they do not tell the secret. To coat it with them is very expensive. furthermore, he aesthetics of the finish are not the best ones with powder coating, while I need it for office furniture.

I'll try to see what happens if i do anodizing. All other composite panels that have PE core can be anodized, cannot see the reason why hylite with a PP core cannot (did a lot of research and PP has the same properties related to the chemicals involved in anodizing). Lets see.

Anyway, if you have any further idea, it will be much appreciated.

regards

Marius

Register to Reply
Participant

04/28/2009 1:32 AM

This link is the latest in functional powder coatings. With this method, your aluminum composite would not melt. www.xiom-corp.com/en

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 13

04/28/2009 10:59 AM

Alodine® 1200 two component brush-on process of

Yellow chromating of aluminium should meet your need.

Google search "Alodine 1200" for further information.

Register to Reply
Participant

04/28/2009 11:35 AM

I am looking more for a dark grey or black finish, less in yellow/gold or other strong colours. anyone knows about such coatings?

resistance to scractch is important, but more important the look. as i said, anodized looks like the best so far. I found also something like this:

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/metalcast.html

so i ordered one pack to see how it works.

if other suggestions, happy to hear them

thanks a lot to all

Marius

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 5 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Ionizer (1); krishnan.ng (1); Mikerho (1); nicubila (2)

Previous in Forum: mechanical   Next in Forum: What is Thermic Corrosion?
You might be interested in: Core Shafts and Mandrels, Coating Services

Advertisement