Previous in Forum: Hard Drive problem   Next in Forum: Mobile Tower Regulations in India
Close
Close
Close
13 comments

Differential Pressure Level Transmitter on Stand Pipe

05/26/2009 3:13 AM

I wonder wheather we can install Differential Pressure Level Transmitter on Stand pipe or it should be installed directlly on the tank?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 817

Re: Differential Pressure Level Transmitter on Stand pipe

05/26/2009 3:53 AM

What's in the tank?

In reply to #1

05/26/2009 4:02 AM

oily water

crude oil

Register to Reply

05/26/2009 4:04 AM

oily water

crude oil

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
In reply to #3

05/26/2009 4:27 AM

What make and model of differential pressure transmitter?

Is there any need to isolate the instrument for replacement, calibration or maintenance?

What are the ambient temperature swings where the tank is located?

In reply to #4

05/26/2009 4:41 AM

it is possible to install the transmitter on the stand pipe, I mean the model, temperature and other enviornmental conditions allow this type of installation. My question is that if it is common or technically true to install a differential pressure transmitter on the stand pipe or not. Because I have not seen such a thing yet.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

05/26/2009 4:46 AM

What are the ambient temperature swings where the tank is located?

In reply to #6

05/26/2009 4:59 AM

Maximum ambient temperature: 55 ºC

Minimum ambient temperature: -2 ºC

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #7

05/26/2009 5:47 AM

Then there is a risk of any small diameter impulse line freezing, which would seriously affect the reading from the instrument. The best solution, therefore, is to mount the transmitter directly on a low-level tank flange, and thermally insulate the connection heavily.

In reply to #8

05/26/2009 6:02 AM

and if there was no risk of freezing, could we use a stand pipe?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #9

05/26/2009 8:33 AM

Not with a minimum ambient of -2degC.

Guru
Philippines - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Who am I?

Good Answers: 51
In reply to #8

05/26/2009 8:01 AM

Concur. Fortunately, I've never had to contend with freezing temperatures here .

As a rule (my rules that is), I only use standpipes if the medium is a clean, low viscosity liquid. If the fluid has sediments or tends to stick, I'd stay away from standpipes as they will cause problems galore.

If you do use a standpipe, provide isolation valves between the pipe and the vessel. Provide a drain valve at the bottom and a cap at the top. This is to allow draining the standpipe for zeroing and cleaning.

Oh, and if the liquid is a food product, don't use a standpipe. The liquid in the standpipe may stay on the pipe wall and spoil, ruining the product.

regards,

Vulcan

In reply to #10

05/26/2009 8:33 AM

Quite.

In reply to #12

05/27/2009 1:36 AM

thanks PWSlack and Vulcan! great help!

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 13 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

golnoush (6); PWSlack (6); Vulcan (1)

Previous in Forum: Hard Drive problem   Next in Forum: Mobile Tower Regulations in India

Advertisement