Previous in Forum: Part Assembly in SolidWorks2009   Next in Forum: Toshiba Laptop and Windows Vista
Close
Close
Close
26 comments
Commentator

Good Answers: 2

Image Conversion to .EPS

06/23/2009 9:47 AM

Hi All

I am a trustee for an animal charity www.rhodesianridgebackwelfaretrust.com this weekend we have our annual rally. It is our intention to give an award to the guy who has organised this event for the last twenty years. The award is a crystal disc which amongst other script we wish to include our logo. All fine so far, however the manufacturer has at this late stage stated that he requirers it to be in EPS format. we currently have it in jpeg and pdf. can anyone out there assist at short notice

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467

Re: Image Conversion

06/23/2009 10:01 AM

imagemagick seems able to do it, but I have no personal experience.

In reply to #1

06/23/2009 10:13 AM

Hi John

Looks ace but am unable to download for some reason

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 9

06/23/2009 10:42 AM

exemmet - Good for you & thanks....funny you jog my memory as I used to have a Ridgeback way back when & even bred him - he was an astounding beast! Peaceful with kids & friends, proud, and strong...loved him for 7 years, but alas we are in the country & one day a local farmer who lived about a mile down the mtn. came by & said that he had just slayed a 250# Hog on his farm...cost me good to make it right.

Wouldn't ya know - about 25 min. later my dog comes back to the house & he had the blood on him...he never let it go either...the impulse I guess was stirred as he went after some more in a couple of days...had to put him down

The history on these dogs are amazing....

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #3

06/23/2009 11:51 AM

CUTiger

I could have cured that for you (not the hog) same way we stop them from going for sheep you just put them in a pen overnight with a boar or in the case of sheep with a ram. Takes a while for the bruising to go down but they would swim a river to avoid them after

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 9
In reply to #4

06/23/2009 12:52 PM

Dayum....that's strong medicine !!

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200
In reply to #6

06/24/2009 2:29 AM

Still better than putting the dog down I feel.......if it works, go for it!

Good Answers: 73

06/23/2009 12:46 PM

Google "pdf to eps".

Good Answers: 138

Re: Image Conversion to .EPS

06/23/2009 6:16 PM

My copy of GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) has an eps output option. Almost every Linux desktop has GIMP. I'd be happy to convert it for you, but by the time we coordinate email addresses, time zones, going back and forth over the pond, etc. it is probably easier if you just remember which one of your friends uses Linux.

GIMP is a wonderful "Photoshop like" program that is free (100% legal free). It is very common on a Linux box but can also be downloaded for Windows. As I recall the Windows install is easy, but you do need to read the instructions. If I recall correctly it is necessary to download and install something else first (gnutools?, GTK-toolkit? I don't recall). Then GIMP can be installed. After the downloads the remainder of the install process was about 10 minutes the first time I did it (reading instructions word for word) and about 2-3 minutes the second time I did it (sloppy speed reading).

The menu structure and GUI menus are a little strange. It takes about 2 minutes to figure them out for most Windows users. Everything that matters works GREAT, so menus that are not quite like Windows menus is a very small price to pay.

GIMP is worth having even if you already got your image converted. I always use it to crop and fix-up digital pictures before taking them to the drug store for printing.

Bruce

United States - Member - USA! Hobbies - Musician - Sound Man Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - More than a Hobby Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 99

06/23/2009 7:21 PM

Adobe Photoshop will do it fine... If you haven't already converted it, I'd be happy to do it for you. Send me a message, and we can get it done lickity split like.

06/23/2009 10:09 PM

exemmet

No idea of how to solve your problem, but then there are plenty of experts for that.

Good on you and the rest of the people involved with the charity for the work you are doing. Rhodesian Ridgebacks are fantastic animals.

TP

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 49

06/24/2009 12:17 AM

I don't want to be the wet blanket at this party, but you may be in for a disappointment. Essentially, you're trying to convert a bitmap graphic into a vector graphic. These are two very different animals.

Bitmaps store info as a field of colored (or B&W) dots - pixels. The concept of pixels is unknown in Encapsulated Postscript. In EPS, the image is a bunch of instructions and vector functions. It's complicated, but it allows EPS graphics to be resized without bound, and they'll always look perfect - not "blocky" the way over-sized bitmaps look.

Also, I'm guessing that the guy that wants the EPS files is going to be doing something with a Postscript driven device. Further, as was suggested, Photoshop can change jpg files into a weird form of Photoshop-centric EPS that's really strange! These EPS files cannot be loaded into Adobe's EPS-specific editor, Illustrator. Instead, they have to be linked, and look messed up.

If someone out there has found a good way to convert bitmap graphics (jpg, tiff, bmp...) to EPS, please let me know. However, I suggest you find out what you're going to wind up with before the event is over and it's too late.

Good Answers: 115

06/24/2009 12:22 AM

I can't vouch for the following (ie - use it at own risk !), it's just one I noticed on the web which may be worth a look;

http://www.go2convert.com/

Not sure if/what the catch is.

In reply to #11

06/24/2009 12:35 AM

It does convert to a Postscript file (.ps), but it's not encapsulated Postscript. This might be OK, but I'm just saying you'd better check first. The typical use of .ps files is to create PDFs.

In reply to #12

06/24/2009 1:08 AM

huh?

I did put in a wee disclaimer, and the menu seems to indicate encapsulated (EPS?);

What am I missing here ?

In reply to #13

06/24/2009 1:19 AM

Oops! Didn't scroll upward. Tried it, and it seems to work well, but I don't think that it becomes a true vector graphic. It's more like importing a tiff file into an Adobe Illustrator picture.

Still, just sayin' check to see if this format is acceptable to your guy.

Good Luck!

In reply to #14

06/24/2009 1:28 AM

"I did put in a wee disclaimer" - how many times have I got to repeat myself......

'My' guy ?. Look, I've only just posted to him, so give us time ! Anyway, I'm almost offended that you arent jealous - or is that what it is ?

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200

06/24/2009 2:41 AM

There are do many software products (a lot of them free) around to do this, you should have no trouble in converting. If you Google jpg to eps there are even more......but Gimp will do all you need, it handles EPS, PDF and JPEG files.......

Converting files to vector graphics is an everyday job for any GOOD CNC company, are you sure that you have a good company to do the glass/crystal job???????? I personally find them VERY suspect if they cannot do such a small job!!!! Be carefull......

Popular Science - Biology - life lover Hobbies - Musician - music lover Safety - Hazmat - better safe than sorry United Arab Emirates - Member - desert trek Technical Fields - Procurement - procurement

Good Answers: 58
In reply to #17

06/29/2009 6:49 AM

having owned and managed a signage company, I believe I understand the request made by this company. my guess is that they are not asking for client to do the file conversion, but rather, they are asking for the original EPS file itself. this is mostly the case, that client would still have the original file with them, rather than the signage company converting the file, and later on receiving a complaint from the client about the logo appearing 'strange'.

they're only playing it safe.

OP should be able to validate my conjecture.

In reply to #23

06/29/2009 10:18 PM

I tend to agree with you. If the original graphics (copy, print, lettering, logos) were created in a vector graphics program like Illustrator, the printer will never run into trouble with sizing. There's a lot of difference between that and converting a bitmap to an EPS file.

06/24/2009 3:48 AM

Hi all,

many proposals for conversion are made, so no additional one is required really but maybe some remarks:

Gimp will do it and is available for Windows as well as for Linux, etc. - it's open source. Anyhow, there are a lot of other freeware tools who can do it, but the quality?

As Andy I am surprised the making company can't use the pdf-source:

Postscript had been the first scalable (vector) printer language - coming up with the first laser printers for the print business, able to handle all the type fonts. It had been enhanced to capebility of "encapsulating" pixel areas (foto, scan-results).

Encapsulated Postscript (eps) to my information will include an image preview (possible as tiff or wmf preview), though you can see the image in programs like word processing (office) or grafic viewers, whilst the nativ postscript (ps) would lead to simply an empty frame of image size.

Postscript was launched by ADOBE and became the standard exchange format in professional printing (and for associated software). Therefore the best transformation result can be expected from ADOBE graphic tools (e.g. Photoshop). However, so far my knowledge Postscript (ps, eps) development had been suspended because ADOBE developed PDF to the more modern successor. Means, today any printing company can use PDF (sufficient quality and resolution is mandatory) alternativ to ps/eps. Therefore it is somewhat surprising the maker of the disk can't use your PDF.

Many of the third-party PDF-makers are employing a double conversion: first converting the file to ps/eps with a postscript engine - then converting the postscript into a pdf (might be a requirement due to licenses).

Albert

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 292

06/24/2009 4:35 AM

Just another 30 day trial:-

http://www.contenta-images2eps.com/

Engineering Fields - Construction Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - Member - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Location: Latitude 38.701979 Longitude -90.439540 Coordinates 38.701979, -90.439540 N38°42.11874, W090°26.3724
Good Answers: 15

06/24/2009 5:56 AM

I'm really surprised the manufacturer doesn't have some way of converting the more popular formats to EPS far their customers.

What beautiful dogs. I've heard of Ridge-backs but don't think I've ever actually seen one.

Popular Science - Biology - life lover Hobbies - Musician - music lover Safety - Hazmat - better safe than sorry United Arab Emirates - Member - desert trek Technical Fields - Procurement - procurement

Good Answers: 58
In reply to #20

06/30/2009 3:11 AM

"I'm really surprised the manufacturer doesn't have some way of converting the more popular formats to EPS far their customers."

please see post #23 above

06/24/2009 6:40 AM

Hi All

Totally overwhelmed by the offers of help on this one , state of play is we have two commercial data centres working on it one it consultant and worldwide advice.

As soon as I have a result I will let you all know.

Thanks again

Regards

Exemmet

Good Answers: 6

06/24/2009 9:34 PM

Regards.

I recommend Irfanview since the developer was a student.

I can say that it is a TOP_SEED in its field

Some info:

This free image viewer and converter supports an extensive list of formats: Supported file types: AIF, ANI/CUR, ASF, AU/SND, AVI, AWD, B3D, BMP/DIB, CAD formats, CLP, DDS, Dicom/ACR, DJVU, ECW, EMF/WMF, EPS/PS/PDF, FITS, FPX (FlashPix), FSH, G3, GIF, HDR, ICO/ICL/EXE/DLL, IFF/LBM, IMG (GEM), JPG2000, JPG, JPM, KDC, LDF, LWF, MED, MID/RMI, MNG/JNG,OV, MP3, MPG, MrSID, NLM/NOL/NGG, OGG, PBM/PGM/PPM, PCX/DCX, PhotoCD, PNG, PSD, PSP, PVR, RAS/SUN, RAW, Real Audio (RA), RLE, SFF, SFW, SGI/RGB, SWF, TGA, TIF, TTF, TXT, WAD, WAV, WBMP, XBM, XPM, CRW/CR2, VTF, DNG, NEF, ORF, RAF, MRW, DCR, X3F, PEF, SRF, EFF, DXF, DWG, HPGL, CGM, SVG etc.

Support for Apple QuickTime allows IrfanView to read following formats: MOV, QTIF, Mac PICT, FLI/FLC

Some features of IrfanView: Multi language support, thumbnail option, preview option, slideshow, skins, drag-and-drop support, fast directory view, batch conversion, e-mail option, audio CD player, print option, change color depth, scan support, cut/crop, IPTC edit, effects (sharpen, blur, Adobe Photoshop filters), capturing, extract icons from EXE/DLL/ICLs, lossless JPG rotation, EXE/SCR creation, many hotkeys, many command line options, many plug-ins

& more every new version

IrfanView a verstile PIX & Media player & converter <http://www.irfanview.com/>

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Commentator

06/30/2009 4:42 AM

Good Morning All,

Update, with help from many contributors we were able to laser etch the logo and get delivery on time for our presentation at the rally, the award looked excellent and the recipient lost for words.

So a huge, huge thank you to you all.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Albert Caspers (GER) (1); Andy Germany (2); Anonymous Poster (1); ba/ael (1); BruceFlorida (1); CUTiger (2); exemmet (4); Haajee (1); JohnDG (1); Kris (3); langyaw (2); Randall (1); RVZ717 (1); scotchdrnkr (1); vermin (4)

Previous in Forum: Part Assembly in SolidWorks2009   Next in Forum: Toshiba Laptop and Windows Vista

Advertisement