Previous in Forum: Bearing Designation   Next in Forum: Caterpillar Engine - Faulty Injectors?
Close
Close
Close
37 comments
Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

Good Answers: 9

Sourcing Little Clips

07/23/2009 11:55 AM

Hello Everyone.

I'm back again with this stinkin' little clip. I was here a couple months or so ago, and many were very helpful at least naming this beast. At the bottom are images of them.

25 years ago I used these by the thousands! Literally! averaged 70,000 a YEAR! And had no problems getting them. And this was even before the internet! But can I find them anyplace now? NO! I just do not understand. They grip a small 1/8" OD shaft.

If they do not make them anymore,, then something had to replace them. If so What?

Can anyone find these for me?

I have been looking almost daily for them and just am coming up empty. here are the pictures.

Thanks!

Joe

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Re: Need Help Sourcing Sourcing Clip

07/23/2009 12:24 PM

Thank You,

I dropped them a E-Mail, they have no sizes listed on the page. If it goes as it has, they of course have them, but not this small.

Everyone else please keep suggesting. Someone out there has to still make these things.

I have tried litterally dozens of companies like was suggested here. But no one has gone small enough.

Joe

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

07/23/2009 12:40 PM

Perhaps these folks can help you out: http://www.asbg.com/protoshortrun_services.php

I am assuming from your sample photo you need more contact area than a simple formed-wire clip will provide, but perhaps a multi-turn wire clip?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #2

07/23/2009 1:19 PM

Hello Joe,

I am sorry to advise that Associated Spring does not carry this type of item in stock.

Regards

Karen Gesner

Associated Spring Sales Office

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 28
In reply to #3

07/23/2009 4:24 PM

You could try a Self-Locking Retaining Ring as an alternative to your clip.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#98430a116/=2vhcot

Regards Woody

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

07/23/2009 4:36 PM

No, Those will not work. They need to be adjustable, and possibly removed from time to time. Thanks for trying tho. Joe

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #5

07/23/2009 5:30 PM

How much holding force do you need? Can you just use a snap-ring (Rotor-Clip) without a groove? They make those really tiny. Do you need enough quantity to justify a short run of a custom part?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

07/23/2009 5:52 PM

Do you mean a retaining Ring like this?

Yes we did try them, and yes they do hold, but sometimes the shaft is of a softer material, and by the time you have a tight enough fit to keep from slipping, then it is soo tight that it deforms the shaft and then has made a grove of it's own and makes the fine adjusting nearly impossible.

See this is what really puzzles me. 20 to 30 years ago I was able to locate these without the aid of the internet even and had them easily, and used 70 thousand a year.

Now I can not find them anyplace, they served a purpose, what is NOW doing the job that they used to do back then?

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #7

07/23/2009 6:26 PM

How about a one-hole rubber lab stopper:

http://www.labstoppers.com/one_hole_lab_stoppers.htm

They have them with 3mm holes - pretty bloody close to your 1/8" shaft size!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

07/23/2009 6:29 PM

That is pretty good, Too bad they are soo long! it's almost a inch long ug! But good thinking and thanks too!

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #9

07/23/2009 6:55 PM

Then how about just a rubber o-ring?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

07/23/2009 7:36 PM

Tried that, not too bad, I have some smaller one hopefully coming. I tried ones that said they have an ID of the 0.125" but actually are smaler. they do grip but not tight enough. I do have some samples of smaller ones hopefully coming. but thee also are hard to locate yeally. Not as hard i have found several places ,, so at least they are findable, but this clip still is sooo perfect I just do not understand why they do not exist anymore.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 15
In reply to #12

07/23/2009 11:40 PM

I work in the PCB testing industry here in Australia, and we have some "Drill Bit Collets" for the NC drill I have been using for the past 11+ years, the length is 1/4" (6.35mm) and the ID is a friction fit onto a 1/8" (3.175mm) tungsten Carbide drill bit.

Location: Zagreb, Republic of Croatia (native name Hrvatska) ,EU, Europe
Good Answers: 8
In reply to #9

07/24/2009 9:15 AM

If you cut that in half by fine saw, would they be too short?

Good Answers: 12

Re: Sourcing Little Clips

07/23/2009 6:51 PM

Is that shaft really only 1/8 inch in diameter.

As you probably know that clip is a hose clamp and pretty common, especially on cars made outside the US.

What are you using them for?

Would a common screw adjustable hose clamp, the type with the slots and worm screw driver adjustable hose clamp work. I'm pretty sure some of those get small enough. If need be you can always cut off the excess after adjustment.

Nonetheless, at 70,000 you ought to be able to get one of the firms that make that type of clip to make you a batch of 70,000.

j.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #10

07/23/2009 8:40 PM

Is that shaft really only 1/8 inch in diameter? Yes that was my first time doing this problem people kept sendin me stuff that was like 1" or more. Look at the pictures, that is one on a 1/8" drill bit on a ruler, so Yes 1/8" Joe

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - USA! Hobbies - Musician - Sound Man Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - More than a Hobby Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 99

07/23/2009 7:55 PM

try these guys:

http://www.asbg.com/

Good Answers: 290
In reply to #13

07/24/2009 4:33 AM

See posts #3 and #4

07/24/2009 1:29 AM

My dear friend,

If your requirement is in large numbers we can source these materials for you from India, if interested please mail to eetatransmissions@yahoo.co.in

Register to Reply
Guru

07/24/2009 2:25 AM

I had selected that exact part about 15 years ago for a electro-pneumatic controller that I was involved in developing. The controller is manufactured by Leslie Controls in Tampa, Fla, and goes by the name PMC-1. I haven't been there for 10 years BUT if you call them at 1-813-978-1000 and ask for Rich Rochford in marketing and let him know that BOB K. referred you, he might take the time to look through the parts list for spring clamp or hose clamp and get the manufacturers name. We only used one style of clamp and bought this part directly from the manufacture. I know they have a minimum order but might send samples if you only need a few. Specing them is a little tricky due to I.D. and tension values as I recall. If you have access to a set of Thomas Register books, you can find it there also. That's where I found them.

Just had a thought. I think that Leslie is having the controller made for them now outside the plant. If so, maybe they still have a few clamps in stock and Rich can get a handfull to you as a spare parts order. That way you can get the clamps through them.

In reply to #17

07/24/2009 2:44 AM

We used them on a 1/4" O.D. urethane hose over a Clippard 1/8" barbed fitting. If that size not useful to you, Rich will have to look up the manufacture.

Power-User
Hobbies - Musician - New Member Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 20

07/24/2009 2:32 AM

How about set screw collars like these ?

We used this type of collar to hold 1/8" o.d. & 6mm o.d. rods in film wrapping machines that abused the rods terribly and we never had one come off. Maybe this is what they were replaced with?

Just an idea.

United Kingdom - Member - Not a new member!

Good Answers: 68

07/24/2009 9:21 AM

Hello NSS,

Hope you are well?

This page and many others has the clams you want.

=

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en-gb&ei=IbNpSveRF9ShjAf6n8y6Cw&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=3mm+band+clamp&spell=1

=

Also known as "bessey" clamps.

=

It really is up to you to choose the Country you want to buy them from. All so far have been Chinese, but then I found this page. The ones I looked at were Chinese but theres many more so there is bound to be some in a place near where you live?

=

Take care and let me know how you get on please.

07/24/2009 9:22 AM

Hello NSS,

Hope you are well?

=

I think I have found the type of pipe clip you want. Not sure on size though.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.stainlessclamp.com/productsimages/bandclamp_145409.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.stainlessclamp.com/hoseclamps-spring_clamp.htm&usg=__IXz-VPqSSyh0IiGCPn4h3k_KLdk=&h=500&w=500&sz=52&hl=en&start=90&sig2=3IRLyu_Z4ispZO-fAmGUgg&um=1&tbnid=yNDxF1_UIJNHgM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3D3%2Bmm%2Bpipe%2Bspring%2Bclip%26ndsp%3D21%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den-gb%26sa%3DN%26start%3D84%26um%3D1&ei=xLBpSp7KMI-njAffifymCw

=

=

=http://www.stainlessclamp.com/productsimages/bandclamp_145409.jpgp]

=

=

http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2f0j00nCMESBsgEThlM/Hose-Clamp-Spring-Clip.jpg

=

=

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/hose_band_clamp.html

=

=

07/24/2009 9:51 AM

They look like clips for gasoline lines on small engines. Maybe auto parts distributors or small engine repair shops.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #24

07/24/2009 9:58 AM

Been there tried that it's just soo small no one seems to carry them that small.

Register to Reply

Good Answers: 1

07/24/2009 9:51 AM
Register to Reply
Guru

07/24/2009 10:22 AM

Hello NSS,

http://hoseclamp.en.alibaba.com/product/213180380-200488221/Spring_Band_Clamp.html

Not sure if you want Chinese clips or not? Tell me please? And or read my post.

In reply to #27

07/24/2009 10:27 AM

Thanks for the lead, but as you can see from that page they do not go anyplace near the size I need. 1/8" or ~3mm

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

07/24/2009 11:17 AM
Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

Good Answers: 104

07/24/2009 12:03 PM

Would these work?

In reply to #30

07/24/2009 12:08 PM

Those are current state of the art functional replacement for the part in question, but I had thought it too obvious to mention...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #31

07/24/2009 12:43 PM

Yes and way overkill,

But thanks!

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

07/24/2009 3:31 PM

If the application of this clip would work with a strong rubber material and you can provide the specs, I could see what we can come up with. We do a lot of smaller custom rubber manufacturing for HVAC applications

Shoot over to our website, Timco Rubber Products

Hope you can find what your looking for,

Nick Kuzmick

Register to Reply
Guru

07/25/2009 8:28 AM

Hello NSS,

I wrote to one of the many Chinese contacts mentioned in a link I sent to you and it may well be worth you getting in touch with them. There is an email below for you to contact.

I have removed my name and email, other than that the basic answer from 'LULU' is the same and unchanged.

==============================================

Hello Mr:

good day!

Thanks a lot for your letter.

Attached is more information on this kind of hose clamp for your reference. Please check it and confirm the sizes you want.

Other sizes which are not shown on our catalogue are also available.

regards

LULU

----- Original Message -----

To: "Tianjin Kainuo Industrial Co. Ltd" < lulu@tjbchg.com >

Sent: 2009-07-25 02:00:14 +0800

Subject: Global Sources Inquiry: 3 mm spring clip band

==========================================

I hope you have luck with this or any other requests.

I emailed them, and got what I think is a positive result. You could do the same instead of say something like, 'I have searched and they all seem to be the wrong size'? No insult intended, but you should be more patient and you will get to find the spring clip band you want.

In reply to #34

07/25/2009 10:14 AM

Thanks Bear, I dropped them a note and was able to attach thise images also so it's clear as to what I am looking for.

About being Paitient tho, this IS getting frustrating.

This is the second time I asked for assistance from this wonderful group here to help me locate these things. last time as also a bust too.

but timeframe wise,, I have been looking since march. seems soo very crazy that something that was so easy to get 30 years ago has vanishe from the earth.

Joe

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #35

07/25/2009 12:10 PM

Hello NSS,

I hope you did not take my remark as an insult, and does not seem that way from the phrasing of your post to me.

I actually got no response for these items from the USA or Europe. Perhaps it is one of those things which may have been replaced on most car and motor building schedules?

I do not understand the replacement, if that is what happened, as the little clamps take a second to put in place, where the screw type can take a m.inute?

I do not recall your last request for details. I may have posted a reply but cannot recall it.

I cannot remember the number of sites in China who make or sell this product but there are very many more than the single one I sent to you.

I will send you the small 'rest' of the email in which they give the factory address. It will be under the 'off topic' so look out for it. The only thing I will alter is my name and email, which I will remove. I think I still have it.

Some people do not to buy from anywhere but the US, but sometimes you have no choice? I am surprised the US and or Europe do not list this item for sale even though they may not make it. I found the search field details makes a lot of difference to the search replies.

I also realise some of the address' in my posts were not available. But I should have tried them out before I sent you them, sorry.

You know it may well be listed under 'flat sheet' or 'sprung flat sheet' in the US and or European Continents? As I said the name you search under makes a great deal of difference.

Take care..................

In reply to #35

07/25/2009 1:33 PM

Hello NSS,

I found those clips easier to find, when I search under 'images'. Just a note. Bye for now.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (9); babybear (6); BuzzardBait (1); Henrik14 (1); Jack Jersawitz (1); Jaguar (2); NSS (11); Randall (1); RVZ717 (1); Snaketails (1); snygolfgs (1); StandardsGuy (1); woodygb (1)

Previous in Forum: Bearing Designation   Next in Forum: Caterpillar Engine - Faulty Injectors?

Advertisement