Previous in Forum: body building   Next in Forum: Medical Animation and Mechanism of Action (MOA)
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Commentator

kids now adays and drug (Ritalin)

07/31/2009 10:48 AM

what is your take on the drugs parents are giving to kids to treatment attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADD or ADHD). there are alot of these type of drugs on the market today.

here is some info on Ritalin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylphenidate

but before i go into it, lets take a look at back in the day.

when my dad and dad's dad and so on, where kid and in school they didn't have these drugs. i say in school, because it is mostly related to school and trying to focus in class without getting distracted. they didn't have these drugs and they did ok, right?

now aday these drug in my opinion are given out to easily. i have friends that take these drug every day no mater what, according to there doc's orders; to keep him inline. but i just take them when i need to focus because of ADD, for school (collage). i notices i do much better when i am on them, but at the same time i notice that i am not myself.

these drugs have a small dose of speed in them or something like it, what i was told, kind of.

i what to know what is your opinion on them and would you give it to your kid if s/he need them, or to keep them in line.

i am find more and more kids are going on them because for parents it is easier to control there kid when the are on them.

at the same time more and more kids have ADD and or ADHD because of the food/water or something.

where you are are you finding the same thing?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 143

Re: kids now adays and drug (Ritalin)

07/31/2009 1:32 PM

There are some preliminary studies out now from the people who do fMRI and the like that suggest kids are getting acquired ADD. Because of all the quick digital input and very short bursts of information, their brains are rewiring themselves to something that mimics ADD. There is even one study out of Harvard that is looking at whether they get a dopamine "hit" from that sort of activity. If this is even partly true, that means us OF's will be the last generation that can actually read an entire book from beginning to end.

In reply to #1

07/31/2009 1:54 PM

that is believable, about acquiring ADD. because the media is every with short add of info/garbage.

i guess they will have to start writing 3-5 page books.

Good Answers: 243
In reply to #1

08/01/2009 9:46 PM

"what's a book, Pop-pop?"

There are several other sidebar issues that ought to be addressed.

1) Who is doing the actual prescribing?

The MD writes the form, but the teacher is the actual 'prescriber' whose "learned opinion" initiates the act.

2) WHat is the object of the act?

Is this "medication" intended to make the classroom teachers job easier? or is it to improve the health of the patient?

3) As probably the zero case for the underlying issue (i was tested by the school psychologist in 3rd grade for my inability to concentrate and my constant 'activity'. I dodged a bullet in that they weren't offerring drug cocktails to pupils in the early 1960's. However, My folks got plenty of notes and conferences about my inability to do schoolwork. Eventually I got to be functional. and a sucessful post graduate student. But the system expects immediate results. And minimum class room disruption.

WHY NOT TEACH KIDS WITH DIFFERENT LEARNING STYLES DIFFERENTLY?

<rhetorical question-we knw the answer>

Good luck with whatever issues you or the peope you love are facing. While better things for better living through chemistry is a good motto, its not appropriate for teachers prescribing pharmaceuticals.

milo

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 145

07/31/2009 10:18 PM

Other views on ADHD: http://borntoexplore.org/hunter.htm

I wish I could give you advice on what to do about the classroom. It's a fact, we have to get through formal education in this world, but the classroom hours are a big stress for some of us.

I am not in favor of the drugs. Although I have no personal experience I feel very suspicious of them. You're right, the generation before did fine without them. But the traits that are called "ADHD" are not unhealthy necessarily, they just are not a great fit for the society of this day.

I think the amount of sitting still we're forced to do is unhealthy. Some of us need to move more than others. Setting aside time to go hiking, get out in a natural setting, can help to burn off some steam, relax, integrate your senses, and give you the patience to sit still when you have to be in class (at least, for a while!).

Independent learning can be good. When you study online, at home, you can move around and that can be helpful to maintain your focus. On the job, hands on training is a great option as well. Doing stuff instead of sitting still and listening, it's much easier to focus and be comfortable.

08/05/2009 3:19 PM

but at the sametime people with ADD and ADHD are better at muti-tasking. so there is a up side?

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 145
In reply to #5

08/06/2009 7:18 PM

Love your brain. There's an up side, and there's a great up side.

Maybe it's multi-tasking I don't know about that myself. I know it as non-linear searching, following tangents, and being able to assimilate and process huge amounts of detail, so that you find something in a way that others might not. The sensory side, the data collection side of your brain is hyperactive, and that's good for a lot of things, it's the way your brain needs to work if you were surviving in the wild.

I don't envy sheep. I don't wish I was one of those people who go looking and never leave the trodden path.

Anything you need to do, to get along in the world and in society, you can teach yourself, you can train yourself to overcome the obstacles that go with ADD/ADHD.

A good general key, afaict, is to tweak your environment when you need to focus to make progress in the necessaries of modern life. Just dealing with visual distractions, for example, can be incredibly helpful. Too much detail or clutter will switch your brain into that sensory processing mode, and it's hard to get out of. Give yourself some empty space.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

artsmith (2); Ice-Man (2); Milo (1); TVP45 (1)

Previous in Forum: body building   Next in Forum: Medical Animation and Mechanism of Action (MOA)

Advertisement