Previous in Forum: Be Careful Buying Air Conds??   Next in Forum: Bottel Machines
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Participant

Creating Manufacturing Jobs in the U.S.

08/28/2009 11:43 AM

We all know the U.S. has lost a lot of jobs overseas. Increased taxes, rising regulations (sometimes unjust), lower wages in foreign markets have all contributed to so many factories either closing its doors or moving overseas.

However, I read somewhere that the majority of the political leaders in China and India have business and engineering backgrounds. Can anyone confirm this?

Ironically, here in the U.S, our politicians are mostly corporate lawyers, leaders of special interests groups and career bureaucrats. Thus, we're good at making laws I suppose, but not to adapt at generating business, increasing competition and generating jobs. The solution? We need more political leaders with engineering backgrounds.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 105

Re: Creating manufacturing jobs in the U.S.

08/28/2009 12:45 PM

Former president Jimmy Carter was a nuclear engineer.

Guru

Good Answers: 243
In reply to #1

08/28/2009 5:04 PM

FALSE!

Name the nuclear sub he commanded- ???

"I'd like myths the american public that are not true for $200, Alex."

Its just not true.

He aspired to be a nuclear engineer. He spun the press that he was a nuclear engineer. He even pronounced nuclear the same way as George W. 'nuke -you-lur'

Here's the facts from http://atomicinsights.blogspot.com/2006/01/picking-on-jimmy-carter-myth.html:

One myth correction, however. President Carter was a submarine officer, but he was not a nuclear engineer.

He graduated from the US Naval Academy in June 1946 (he entered in 1943 with the class of 1947, but his class was in a war-driven accelerated 3 year program) with an undesignated bachelor of science degree. Even if the Naval Academy had offered a majors program for his class, it is unlikely that it would have included Nuclear Engineering as a option - after all, the Manhattan Project was a dark secret for most of his time at Annapolis.

After graduation, Jimmy Carter served as a surface warfare officer for a two years and then volunteered for the submarine force. He served in a variety of billets, including engineer officer of diesel submarines and qualified to command submarines.

In November 1952, he began a three month temporary duty assignment at the Naval Reactor branch. He started nuclear power school (a six month course of study that leads to operator training) in March, 1953. In July 1953, his father passed away and he resigned his commission to run the family peanut farm. He was discharged from active duty on 9 October, 1953. According to an old friend of mine who served as Rickover's personnel officer at Naval Reactors, LT Carter did not complete nuclear power school because of the need to take care of business at home.

The prototype for the USS Nautilus was completed in Idaho in May 1953, so LT Carter might have had some opportunity to see it in action before leaving the Navy. However, the USS Nautilus did not go to sea until January 17, 1955, so there is no possibility that he ever qualified to stand watch on a nuclear powered submarine.

He never experienced the incredible gift of being able to operate a power plant that was so clean that it could run inside a sealed submarine, so reliable that it could power that submarine even deep under the Arctic ice, and so energy dense that the submarine could operate for years without new fuel.

When I think about the 1976 campaign and the importance of the energy issue at that time, I cannot help but wonder why Jimmy Carter's promoters made such a big deal about his nuclear expertise. My wonder turns to cynicism when I think about the policies that his administration imposed and the damage that they did to the growth of the industry just at a time when we most needed a vibrant new energy industry player.

Best regards,

Rod Adams
Editor, Atomic Insights
www.atomicinsights.blogspot.com
www.atomicinsights.com

milo

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

In reply to #3

08/29/2009 12:10 PM

I stand corrected about he being a nuclear engineer, but at least he had an engineering background as an engineering officer on a diesel sub which supports the question raised by the OP.

In reply to #4

08/29/2009 1:49 PM

Does it? How many people lost jobs under bumbling technocrat Carter?

If his Presidency is what an Technical and Engineering President stands for, I'll stick with screen actors. I was let go with 175 other supervisors at the height of the Carter 19%-21% interest rate years.

I recall that there were a few hostages in IRAN that COMMANDER IN CHIEF CARTER couldn't even find, let alone rescue...

Carter is an example that DISPROVES the original posters point. Same with Hoobert Heever, I mean Herbert Hoover, As fine a mining engineer as their probably was... He Made it possible for 3 terms of FDR...

No thanks.

milo

Re: Creating Manufacturing Jobs in the U.S.

08/28/2009 3:44 PM

Thanks Ron. I'm sure there are a few U.S. politicans here and there with business or engineering backgrounds, but not many. Naturally, engineers and business leaders are too smart to get into politics. Nonetheless, they can do far more than the law makers we have today.

08/30/2009 5:18 PM

"generating business, increasing competition and generating jobs."

Unfortunately, the one thing that guarantees new jobs is war. During WW II, unemployment was at an all time low.

In reply to #6

08/30/2009 7:38 PM

I agree on that!

milo

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

mfgmatch.net (1); Milo (3); ronseto (3)

Previous in Forum: Be Careful Buying Air Conds??   Next in Forum: Bottel Machines

Advertisement