Previous in Forum: Injection Moulding and Tonnage   Next in Forum: FCAW, GMAW and Filler Wire
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Participant

OSHA Standards for Compressed Air

09/09/2009 9:51 AM

Where does the OSHA Standard address using compressed air for blowing off clothing

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 30

Re: Compressed Air for blowing clothing

09/09/2009 10:21 AM

OSHA STD 1-13.1 talks about reducing the air out of a nozzle to less than 30 psi for cleaning purposes. It does not specifically talk about blowing off clothing with an air nozzle but I think this is the OSHA specification that is used in this regard. When you read it see if you don't interpret it this way.

Sellers of compressed air nozzles refer to this specification, just use Globalspec or google.

Good Answers: 37

09/09/2009 10:43 AM

There are specific blow guns with no dead end heads, that will divert airflow out the sides rather than pressurize during skin or other contact. Pressure should always be at a minimum just in case.

Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

09/09/2009 11:24 AM

The OSHA Standard does imply to the use. It applies to the use of compressed air in a blowgun. As a higher pressure has been shown to cause harm. It has been shown that high pressure air can force air though the skin in to the blood stream causing a clot. That inadvertent miss direction of higher pressures of air while one cleans their clothing off has damage ear drums, eyes and cut skin.

Re: OSHA Standards for Compressed Air

09/10/2009 3:32 AM

Don't know the answer to your question, but "blowing of clothing" with compressed air when sopmeone is wearing it is just bl**dy stupid. Would be a disciplinary offense where I work.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

Re: OSHA Standards for Compressed Air

10/26/2009 7:24 PM

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_id=9849&p_table=STANDARDS

"1910.242(b)

Compressed air used for cleaning. Compressed air shall not be used for cleaning purposes except where reduced to less than 30 p.s.i. and then only with effective chip guarding and personal protective equipment."

I think this is the osha standard that summarizes your question

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 5 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (2); charsley99 (1); DaveB (1); ozzb (1)

Previous in Forum: Injection Moulding and Tonnage   Next in Forum: FCAW, GMAW and Filler Wire

Advertisement