Previous in Forum: Empty Soda Cans   Next in Forum: Weapons of the First World War
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 54

Anthromorphic Climate Change & Creationism?

09/14/2009 11:59 PM

I've noticed there are "climate skeptics" among the CR4 readers. That is they deny there is any demonstrated link between human activity and increasing temperatures.

I've wondered if there is a link between this position and a belief in creationism.

Without arguing the merits of either subject or either view. could people post their personal opinions?

A - Man made climate change True & Creationism True.

B - Man made climate change False & Creationism True .

C - Man made climate change True & Creationism False

D - Man made climate change False & Creationism False.

I'm assuming a "don't know" equates to a False. Creationism is also called "Intelligent design"

This discussion was "closed" on 09/15/2009 7:54 PM. No new comments are allowed.
Message from admins:
From the CR4 FAQ: Posts focusing on politics or religion will likely be removed. There are plenty of places on the Web to talk politics or religion. This isn't one of them.
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376

Re: Anthromorphic climate change & creationism?

09/15/2009 12:13 AM

Both questions have very large grey areas rather than a simple black/white yes/no answer. People cannot deny that mankind has caused environmental damage and climate change (eg-Ozone layer damage, massive resource depletion, pollution, deforestation, etc) but you can certainly argue as to the amount and the lasting effects of our actions and presence.

<hmmm>

If I had to choose out of only the above options then I would have to say

C - Man made climate change True & Creationism False

Good Answers: 1662

09/15/2009 12:14 AM

Did you mean: Anthropomorphic climate change

Politics and religion: this smacks of both.

Have you investigated "thermitic materials"?

No further comment.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 48

09/15/2009 12:32 AM

I agree with BOTH prior posts-

However- no matter whether you believe in climate change or consider it one more piece of "falling sky", there is one issue that EVERYONE agrees with.

The NOx created by high temperature thermal loads using AIR as the oxidizing agent- cars, boilers, diesel engines, turbo-generators, etc. is REAL and does cause smog when mixed with airborne hydrocarbons and sunlight.

SO- even if the combustion is NOT causing us to start choking on CO2, we will be choking on the SMOG if we aren't more careful. Steps are available to reduce this impact, but we must think about our directions carefully.

Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 97

Re: Anthropomorphic climate change & creationism?

09/15/2009 1:53 AM

People irrespective of religion, believes, race, gender occupation etc produce pollutants just by being alive and because of the increasing numbers these must be managed to reduce the effect.

In addition to that some people take the liberty of causing additional pollutants. (These people should be buried 20m deep because deep down they are all good people)

Nature itself also create pollutants but nature provided some remedy to compensate to some extent.

The human pollution should be reduced to a minimum and should be managed. Methods should be devised to use these pollutants to some advantage, after all it only consist of natural occurring elements.

Finally we should grow compassion for somebody else's "debased" but honest attempt to curb pollution.

Good Answers: 182

09/15/2009 4:03 AM

This is the definition of the notion you used:

Anthropomorphism (pronounced /ˌ├Žnθrɵpəˈmɔrfɪzəm/) is the attribution of human

characteristics to non-human creatures and beings, phenomena, material states and objects or abstract concepts

Words have a meaning and it is better if they are used according to it.

As for answering your questions there is no doubt an influence of the human on the planet climate but it is still difficult to say if it is the only source of changes since climate changes occurred also when humans did not exist on the planet earth.

It is interesting to compare what a single volcano eruption did as a change with the whole effect of years of human efforts.

To be honest I do not see any relation between the 2 parts of your questions.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

Re: Anthromorphic Climate Change & Creationism?

09/15/2009 10:19 AM

I'll take D. What climate change? I'll probably roast in Hel.....what am I thinking? It will all be a moot point when the next catastrophic event happens. Anybody worried about that? And where is the data on solar variation.

If life is found on another planet, creationism is in trouble. Perhaps creationism will evolve......now, there is a concept to ponder

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 6 comments
This discussion was "closed" on 09/15/2009 7:54 PM. No new comments are allowed.
Message from admins:
From the CR4 FAQ: Posts focusing on politics or religion will likely be removed. There are plenty of places on the Web to talk politics or religion. This isn't one of them.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); energygod (1); Hendrik (1); jack of all trades (1); lyn (1); nick name (1)

Previous in Forum: Empty Soda Cans   Next in Forum: Weapons of the First World War

Advertisement