Previous in Forum: febco 765 froze/broke   Next in Forum: chalenge for all the enginners
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Participant

Some facts to discuss behind the Cedarshield Timber Treatment

12/05/2009 8:11 PM

There have been many discussions and comments pertaining to the cedar oil based all natural timber treatment fluid being traded as Cedarshield Petri-Wood deck, dock and fence and as Permatek as it is known in Canada. Both are identical products with the only difference being in the name and label. I joined and made comment on one thread yesterday and felt it was time for someone to start a real discussion where perhaps we can enjoy some critique, compliment, or discussion of an open and sensible nature.

I work in timber sciences and as such, have access to equipment and testing facilities that most people never have an opportunity to even see, never mind use. As per my reply to yesterday's CR4 thread that asked for comments, the Cedarshield fluid is genuinely natural and other than having a strong fermonal odour of cedar, it is completely safe to use and apply with no real need for endless protective clothing. Safety glasses and a pair of latex gloves was all any of our people ever used and at no time did we encounter any issues or even irritation to skin. Indoors, the odour can be strong though not unpleasant.

One of the most common questions I am asked about the product is with regard to how long the treatment is likely to last on timbers. There is no conclusive answer to this question as such. However, if we take into account that the initial treatment is applied correctly in three full coats, allowing for drying between each coat, then from the results of our testing we have concluded that saturation is indeed complete and penetrative to every fibre of the wood. We have also ascertained that the capillaries, fibricidal chambers and molecular structure throughout the wood were completely lined and sealed by the Silanes and hydroxyl tail drops. Even after strenuous and rigorous testing that included simulated extreme weather, severe UV exposure, extreme temperature variations and prolonged ageing and stress tests, the product remained intact and true with continued dimensional and structural stability being recorded and absolutely no ingress or penetration of moisture or water to the treated wood. These results are by no means some kind of miracle, as the basic principal of any wood that can be fully saturated by Silanes is almost certainly guaranteed to remain permanently impervious to moisture, as there is no way possible for the moisture or water to enter. The problem has always been trying to find an appropriate carrier that could successfully penetrate all of the wood and one that could at the same time, scavenge and remove all existing moisture within the wood. Cedarshield's all natural product has successfully achieved all of this and more too, as we did conclude that insects would not attack, lay their eggs in or eat any of the timbers that have been treated by this product.

Accordingly, my conclusion of just how long this treatment will last is basically as long as we want it to last. It is a one time life time treatment but only if applied correctly and we have no reason to believe the dimensional and/or structural stability and integrity of correctly treated timber is ever likely to change. This in itself must represent a major boon to almost all aspects of the lumber and milling industries, where Joe public has been screaming for years now to find long lasting timbers that have not been treated with a mish mash of toxins and poisons. Finally, I am hoping that this information may help to stimulate a more appropriate discussion thread for those CR4 Members who always seem to decry almost any new "Too good to be true" product. Five years ago it would have been too good to be true to be able to purchase a huge LCD flat screen television for under $5,000.00. Yet, here we are rushing Around buying loads of them for Christmas and amazingly enough, these huge screen are now way under $800.00…or maybe that also is too good to be true?

Register to Reply
This discussion was "closed" on 12/06/2009 9:32 AM. No new comments are allowed.
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

Re: Some facts to discuss behind the Cedarshield Timber Treatment

12/05/2009 9:28 PM

lumberman,

You sound like a fraud!

Do you have any snake oil?

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #1

12/05/2009 9:51 PM

You sound like an idiot....can I buy some snake oil from you ?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1662
In reply to #3

12/06/2009 6:58 AM

Sure can. Just send me $100.00USD and I'll send you a certified bottle of SO. How did you get such a good photo of yourself to use as your avatar?

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467

Re: Some facts to discuss?????

12/05/2009 9:51 PM

I think this one was a little - or maybe a lot - early. I agree it's difficult to decide how long to leave - too soon and it's obvious - too long and you've wasted good suckering time.

Definitely too early. Remember for next time: CR4 folks got looooong memories.

In reply to #2

Re: Some facts to discuss?????

12/05/2009 10:29 PM

Yes John.....too soon can always be difficult if you don't know how long too long is, but then again too long could also be too soon if being too soon took too long.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 5 comments
This discussion was "closed" on 12/06/2009 9:32 AM. No new comments are allowed.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

JohnDG (1); lumberman (2); lyn (2)

Previous in Forum: febco 765 froze/broke   Next in Forum: chalenge for all the enginners

Advertisement