Previous in Forum: Sodium Hypochlorite as Bleach Sanitizer   Next in Forum: How Do Fuel Cells Work?
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Participant

What is smL/min?

12/11/2009 9:55 PM

I have recently been researching fuel cells, and I found out that the fuel flow is measured in smL/min. Please define this unit, and describe how it relates to common American and SI units.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
Panama - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 213

Re: what is smL/min?

12/11/2009 10:29 PM

smL/min apparently has something to do with gas mass flow rates, from what I can tell. I haven't the slightest idea what the abreviation is, and a Google search isn't much help...I would like to know what it is, too...

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 93

12/12/2009 1:32 AM

One of the CR4 members Chtank, who has not been around for awhile, is an expert on fuel cells. He may have some posts still in the Sustainable Engineering Blog, that may lead you to either him, or to his volumes of educational offerings.

He did link to me on Linkedin within the last three months, so I figure he is still active, and not dead.

If anyone on the forum would know, I suspect it would be Chtank.

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467

12/12/2009 5:49 AM

standard liters/min

(Abbreviated sL/min or SLPM; smL/min is "standard millilitres/minute").

See also and Wikipedia; more here.

Panama - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 213
In reply to #3

12/12/2009 8:58 AM

Excellent, JohnDG. Now, I need some lessons from you on proper search techniques, because I was unable to come up with the answer all on my own. As to this particular question, the Wikipedia citation you provide is totally useless- it does not even mention SLPM specifically. I had reached that reference in my own search. Knowing that we were dealing with flow rates, further searching still did not give me any clue (seems like every time I do a search, I get at least 10 pages of marketing tripe before anything significant even shows up. My search for sml/min turned up a lot of references to ladies' apparel, for instance).

So, how do you get from the Wikipedia page to your first reference or your third reference? With those two little bits of information, it makes perfect sense that one would be most interested in mass flow rather than volumetric flow when considering fuel cells, and your third reference gives a pretty good example of how to go from measured values to numbers you can actually use.

I am jealous of your skill at this...

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #4

12/12/2009 1:42 PM

Can't remember exactly what I did first time (can't even replicate it quickly ) - but a Google search for something like

sml per min gas flow

... comes up with things like ...

Digital flow meter - flow sensor | flow measurement | flow meter ...

Gas Flow Regulators & Switches with LC-Display and Totalizerfunction ... 1 x 10-9 smL/min of Helium maximum to outside environment. ... reported in units such as standard cubic feet per minute (SCFM) or standard litres per minute (SLM). ...
www.directindustry.com/industrial.../digital-flow-meter-65510.html - Cached,

[PDF] Agilent Flow Tracker Series 1000/2000 Gas Chromatography Flow Meters File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
Push to show volumetric flow rate in mililiters per minute. Gas Select- ... with the mass flow rate is called a standard milliliter per minute (SmL/min). ...
www.chem.agilent.com/Library/usermanuals/Public/Flow1.pdf - Similar,

and:

Bios International - The Definer ™ 220 Air Sampler Standard Flow, smL/min sL/min scc/min scf/min. Pressure, mmHg PSI kPa ... Approximate Time Per Reading: 1-15 seconds. Gas Compatibility: Use with ...
www.biosint.com/Products/products2.php - Cached - Similar.

A dip into some of these turns up the right sort of info. Sorry I can't be more specific - it's just a case of throwing likely-sounding things at Google and seeing what bounces back. Google advanced search can sometimes be useful for cutting out the crap.

Re: What is smL/min?

12/12/2009 10:37 PM

Any standard would also have the media measured at a certain temperature, atmospheric pressure to remove changes in volume and mass due to changes in temperature.

Fluids usually expand when the temperature rises, so a litre of fuel at 20C may be 1.05 litre at 40C.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

12/13/2009 10:05 AM

Standard flow measuring instruments measure the pressure & temperature & convert to the equivalent gas volume per unit time at standard conditions (STP).

United Kingdom - Member - Not a new member!

Good Answers: 68

12/13/2009 9:50 AM

Hi electrolyzer,

Perhaps you may like to view this site which gives some examples of this measurement.

Can you tell me what you do with relation to fuel cells please?

SML/min flowmeters

I hope this helps you.

Take care and good luck.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); babybear (1); cwarner7_11 (2); JohnDG (3); Transcendian (1)

Previous in Forum: Sodium Hypochlorite as Bleach Sanitizer   Next in Forum: How Do Fuel Cells Work?
You might be interested in: Fuel Cells, Fuel Testers, Fuel Dispensing Equipment

Advertisement