Previous in Forum: Excel 2007 ASCI Converter   Next in Forum: Universal File Format
Close
Close
Close
Page 3 of 4: « First < Prev 1 2 3 4 Next > Last »
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 114

Installing an Operating System without a CD

02/11/2010 12:08 PM

my old gateway gz7339 laptop xp

had been giving me intermitentint blue screen o death warning [too fast to read at start up]

finally wouldn't restart anymore, so I finally gave in & tried to do a full on destructive restore

I can get to bios

I can get to the recovery console, but it won't complete [ locks up around installing drivers after the restart]

no boot from cd as the player is broken

no boot from usb, not an option in bios

booting from FDD [floppy disc drive] is a bios option

booting from network is an option

the computer has usb, ether, phone & what looks like a monitor ports

I have a working unbuntu 8.04 old fullsized machine on the same network, which also has working cd/dvd, usb's, internet...

I have a 4g usb flash.

can't install the HDD in the fullsized, connector not compatible

any way to make a patch to use a fullsized cd/dvd on a laptop?

which port & how would I do a floppy boot?

any others methods

I try most anything that doesn't require spending much money [I've progressed to under employed]

I have a few full sized pc asst connectors & a soldering iron I'm not afraid to use

yes I know the HDD may be bad

worth a shot though

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - bwire Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member

Good Answers: 96
In reply to #216
Find in discussion

Re: further procedures for Installing an OS without CD 1.1

03/06/2010 12:03 AM

I'll just set back with the dbl clicking crowd an observe you two demonstrate the simplicity of Linux

Panama - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 213
In reply to #218

03/06/2010 12:21 AM

Bwire-

You are obviously much more knowledgeable in all matters computer than I am, so I am hoping you will monitor these procedures that I am posting, and catch me as I make mistakes.

Actually, during all of my search for the bst approach to this problem, I have discovered there are similar utilities available for Windows as well, although I don't know if one can run Windows from a CD or usb drive.

I do find Ubuntu friendlier than Windows, if one can avoid the command line- but the command line really is no different than the old DOS prompt- except it has a lot more functionality, which makes it seem more comlicated (when I am forced to use the command line, I usually have to read the manual page for the command I want to use). The last Windows "distro" that I found easy to use was 98SE- it's been downhill since then, and it was XP that finally got me to thinking there has to be a better way. I haven't tried Windows 7 yet, and probably won't, because I have found an alternative that does what I want it to do, and is a whole lot cheaper (including applications, like FEA, the mathCAD look-alike SciLAB, some pretty good 3d rendering (not, however, as user-friendly as some of the 3D packages for Windows). If gaming is your thing, Windows is probably better. If desktop publishing is your thing, then I would suggest Apple.

The beauty of it all is, with more options out there, we have more choices...

Also, some of my favorite applications (except my FEA package) come in Windows versions as well. However, I am of the opinion that the operating system should be transparent- it is the applications that matter. And, for me, Ubuntu is more transparent than anything Windows has put out in recent years.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #219

03/06/2010 12:46 AM

I don't know if one can run Windows from a CD or usb drive.

One can...

What Apple hasn't made known is the next platform which is fast approaching will be one without the MAC GUI it will be Intel through and through and in light of the fact open source is primarily supported by MS all this is folly no...

How to create a bootable live ubuntu 9.04 USB drive:

http://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/how-to-create-a-bootable-live-ubuntu-904-usb-drive/

Panama - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

In reply to #220

03/06/2010 12:53 AM

This is not good news. I have trouble with Intel integrated graphics with some of my applications. I wish I could afford an NVIDIA card...

My understanding is that OSX is closer to UNIX than Linux...Back in the '80's, UNIX was my preferred operating system- on a small HP PC, actually, running a Motorola 68004, in the days when everyone claimed UNIX was too big to run on a PC...Today, I wouldn't own an HP product, and raw UNIX (like I used to use) would not be my choice of operating system...but, boy was that old machine FAST!

Guru

In reply to #221

03/06/2010 12:58 AM

I just edited post #220 and there is now a useful link on it for your 9.04 USB boot-able drive...

try a 7300 LT

In reply to #222

03/06/2010 1:43 AM

I will give it a try- since the Ubuntu creator doesn't recognize my newly-downloaded *.iso file as a disk image...

Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200
In reply to #223

03/06/2010 3:41 PM

Of course not!!

Its a CD or DVD image. Most (good) Burn software will recognise it as such and burn a CD or DVD, most probably in a bootable form......but not necessarily, but you will see now that it is many files, each in a "normal" format, not just one huge file....!!!

In reply to #230

03/06/2010 4:12 PM

Supposedly, USB creator recognizes CD image files, but in this case it did not. I am wondering if this is because I am trying to make a bootable usb of Ubuntu 9.04 from Ubuntu 8.04? Or, perhaps, the *.iso file got corrupted during download- need to check md5sum, or try burning a CD from it...

Power-User

In reply to #220

Procedures for Installing 9.04 on a usb

03/06/2010 7:48 AM

I was too tired last night, too many hrs of looking at addresses & driving

I got stuck not being able to find the page CW was trying to direct me towards [we'll get him to use active links, yet]

I'm on the page B posted [looks like a bookmark for the unbuntu tab] & wondering if the coffee is done..

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

In reply to #224

Re: Procedures for Installing 9.04 on a usb

03/06/2010 8:03 AM

oops that was my wife's account, she likes to break bath & yell at the animal lady

testament to the user friendliness, she jummped right on the 8.04 box, I think there have only been a couple of questions

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #225

03/06/2010 9:03 AM

I'm in that spot again

I've got it downloaded, but don't know what to do with it?

what application?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #226

03/06/2010 10:54 AM

Now that I'm playing with it

I've never successfully used anything except the package manager, which can't find what I'm downloading.

have to go have a search about that

finally fixing the cross fencing the horses keep knocking over

back in a bit

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #226

03/06/2010 11:30 AM

The UNetbootin application from bwire is provided as a ready to run program, but you have to change permissions to get it to run. First thing I would do is change the name of the program to something simpler- it downloads with the name "unetbootin-linux-08", which, in my opinion, is too complicated (since we are going to have to go to the command line and type this, we want a nice, short name that we will remember). My preference is change it to "unetbootin"- unlikely to get confused with any other program. But first, we have to find where Firefox put the file. In Firefox, go to "Tools", "Downloads". You will find the program listed as one of the downloads (unless you have cleared the list). Right click on the entry, and select "Open containing folder". This will open a file manager window where the file is currently stored. It makes things a whole lot easier if we move the file to your home folder. Highlight the file, right click, and select "Copy" (cut works also, but copy leaves the original in place so we can find it again if something doesn't go as planned). In the "Tree" panel, right click on "Home Folder" and select "Paste into folder". Now, open that folder, and select the new copy of the file. Right click, and at the bottom of the pop-up menu is a selection "Properties" which brings up a new popup window. Select this, and then, at the top, select the tab "Permissions". If we are lucky, you will be listed as the Owner of the file. Access for the file should be "Read and write". Below the list of permissions is a checkbox labeled "Execute"- check this, and close the window. The icon for the file should have changed in the file manager view. Now, when you double click the file in file manager, you should get a warning asking for your password. Entering the password will give you a nice little pop up window that is pretty self-explanatory...

Note- I am working on a Ubuntu 8.04 macine, trying to make a bootable usb from an *.iso image downloaded to the machine, trying to emulate the setup you have described.

The only problem now is that, on my 8.04 machine, I am running an American Megatrends v. 2.59 BIOS (recently replaced motherboard, likely a Chinese clone). In advanced setup, BIOS doesn't like my attempt to add a usb bootable device to the boot menu. However, when the computer is booting up, I am given the option to "Press F11 for boot options" (the particular key for this is different for different machines, as bwire has pointed out). I get a window asking to select a boot device, and it now has an entry "USB Flash MemoryPMAP". Selecting this takes me in to the "UnetbootIn" menu, telling me it is going to Automatic boot in 10 seconds, but in 10 seconds, it starts the count all over again. When I select "Default" and press enter, nothing happens.

bwire- HELP!!!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #228

03/06/2010 12:56 PM

ah

ok

I can find the file after I download it,

the add remove or package manager not so much

so I went to the file changed the permission

I didn't bother with any of the name changing stuff, as I just cut & paste when I use terminal

it gave me 2 packages to bring on board

mtools

p7zip-full

I'm gonna go to the electronics disposal day & see if I can scrounge some bits

I understand the packages part I think

more later

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #229

03/06/2010 4:19 PM

well that was mostly a bust, they didn't really want me to pick, no laptops, got a xp tower & a regular optical keyboard, usb's are a pain for the set up & take up a slot

got net bootin working doesn't like the file system of my flash

next mision

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #232

03/06/2010 4:42 PM

OK- made progress. Using Unetbootin from bwire, letting it pick and download the *.iso file (I selected Ubuntu 8.04-Live from the Unetbootin pop-down lists- next we will try 9.04), using the same usb stick that I had tried to use before that did not work, I was able to build a functional, bootable usb that pretends to be a LiveCD. I think the key is that when selecting the *.iso image, one needs to insure that it is the "LiveCD" version, but I don't know about this. The usb stick I am using is a 4GB- instructions say you need at least 1 GB. Unetbootin over-wrote my previous attempt (after asking for permission to do so).

Putting this in to my machine with the American Megatrends BIOS thad did not want to let me activate the boot from usb, cold boot (power off then on again) with the usb stick mounted, hit "F11" on the startup screen gets me in to boot manager (on my laptop, it is the "F12" key that gets in to the boot manager). If you can read fast, the BIOS intro screen should give you the appropriate key for getting the boot manager. Select the usb entry in boot manager, and you get the LiveCD menu with options to try, install, memory check, etc. The usb stick MUST BE MOUNTED BEFORE TURNING THE COMPUTER ON!

If you can get a good bootable usb stick this way, you may be able to salvage the old laptop, which is what this whole thread started with...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #233

03/06/2010 6:21 PM

I just tried building an Ubuntu 9.04 bootable usb stick, using the same procedure I used for the 8.04 stick. It did not work. Back to 8.04...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #233

03/06/2010 6:21 PM

I haven't been able to get the iso on the stick

I was trying for 9.04live unbootin says the stick need to be reformatted

when i did a restart w/the stick in

gpart says format is right

retried loading stick now I deleted out the other iso 1st, so the only thing on it should be 9.04live

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #235

03/06/2010 6:30 PM

I may still have the same problem, not being able to boot from usb, but I'll give it a try, of course the only place I can check is on the vista laptop, which even if it doesn't work I still won't know anything

or can I try it as a demo here on the 8.04 box?

Shyt only works sporatically for me there, can't ever be sure if it's the media/app or not understanding vista

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #236

03/06/2010 7:00 PM

If you have successfully built the bootable stick, it should work on the machine you are working with. I had to revert to Ubuntu 8.04_Live because Unetbootin did not build me a proper bootable stick with 9.04_Live. Apparently, one does not need to delete the old system or reformat the stick when working with 8.04. There may be some fundamental change in the file structure with 9.04 that is causing the problem.

I think, once we get a bootable stick, we may be able to boot from it on the laptop- we just need to figure out which function key gets us in to the boot manager...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #237

03/06/2010 7:07 PM

you mean bios?

am I gonna be able to give it a test on the 8.04 machine, by just opening it up?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #238

03/06/2010 7:24 PM

When you have finished making the bootable stick, it gives you the option to reboot now. Reboot the machine, but press the boot manager key when the initial screen comes up. There should be a line that says something like, "Esc to enter BIOS" Followed by a line that says "Press F[?] for boot manager" or something to that effect. You have to be quick- this stuff flashes by so fast it is hard to see. I had to reboot about 6 times before I was finally able to have my focus on the proper screen position to be able to catch the instruction. Boot manager is not BIOS set up. It gives you a listing of all available boot devices and allows you to chose one. If you have a good bootable stick, it should show up on this menu. When you select this and press enter, you should get the LiveCD menu, which gives you options to try without installing, installing, memory test, boot from first hard drive, etc. If you are testing in the machine you built this on, you most definitely do NOT want to select install (although you will have plenty of opportunities to abort the install if you make the wrong choice). I have built and rebuilt the 8.04 stick several times, and it works. I can not get 9.04 to work.

Once we know we have a bootable stick, we move on to the laptop...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #239

Re: Procedures for Installing 9.04 on a USB

03/06/2010 8:56 PM

You guys are showing profit, forget about 9.04 for the moment and resurrect the computer...boot menu is ESC or F10

In reply to #240

03/06/2010 9:07 PM

f10

I'm still waiting for the 9.04 to download to finish before I write it off...

I learned about permissions today which is cool

my connection is painfully slow on the weekends, marginally faster than a dial up connection

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #241

03/06/2010 9:14 PM

I have the same problem with download speed- but i agree with bwire- go with 8.04 for now. Once we get the operating system running on the laptop, we can upgrade to 9.04 using Ubuntu tools. Bwire- my desktop uses F11 for the boot menu, and my laptop uses F12. I have seen other computers use other keys, such as "esc". If I can't catch the screen prompt, then I try each one until I find the one that works. The laptop gives me a line along the bottom of the initial screen that holds the instructions a bit longer...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #242

03/06/2010 9:22 PM

my desktop uses F11 for the boot menu, and my laptop uses F12. I have seen other computers use other keys, such as "ESC

Yep, but on the gateway I expect it will be F10 or ESC

If there be extenuating circumstance you may inactivate the HDD in BIOS so the only HDD the system will see is the USB then re-activate the HDD later

In reply to #243

03/06/2010 9:57 PM

it is f10 on the gateway, I never thought much about it since there was only one choice

I got to what I assume is the boot menu on the microstar MOBO'd 8.04

there were a few variations [8 maybe] of 8.04, recovery & such

no 9.04

so looks like a bust

starting over

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #244

03/06/2010 10:05 PM

The few variations of 8.04 tell me you are not in Boot Manager, but in GRUB, which loads after you lose your shot at boot manager. To catch boot manager, I had to do a cold reboot- power off. The stick has to be mounted. As t he screen that tells you what BIOS you are using shows up, you have to hit the right key to get into boot manager. Boot manager should look like an old DOS screen, and should give you some options like HDD, CD/DVD, Floppy, and, hopefully, usbDevice (they most likely will not be called exactly that). If you are getting multiple variations of 8.04 (which tend to accumulate as the system gets updated), then you are past the point you need to be.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #241

03/06/2010 10:29 PM

You're further from the switch...an other's are jumping in between.

In reply to #246

Procedures for Installing a fresh 8.04 on a USB

03/07/2010 9:11 AM

The frustrating part is the shiney fiber optic right outside my gate & no time line on when we can hook up

started on the new download [8.04]

running pretty fast before everyone wakes up

the slowest times are when it snows hard & we all stay home

Guru

In reply to #247

Re: Procedures for Installing a fresh 8.04 on a USB

03/07/2010 11:05 AM

Got the 804, which overwrote the 9.04

found the boot agent, which was behind shift f10 [would have taken awhile to guess that]

Below is most of what was on the screen, I increased the time it appears, so I can find it next time

Real tek boot agent configuration Menu V2.11

RTL1839 (A/B/C)/RTL8130

Network Boot Protocol: RPL or PXE [no explanation]

Boot Order:

ROM Disable [Network disabled, Boot Local]

Int18h [ uses bios setup]

Int19h [ Network then Local devices]

PnP/Bev(BBS} [BBS Bios If Present]

I only understand some of this stuff, I won't get time on the vista lap for a while & haven't ever been to bios on it so I'm gonna see if I can decipher some of this stuff

I had to type it all in someplace here is as good as any where

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #248

03/07/2010 11:19 AM

That is not what I was expecting from boot agent...What I get is a list like this:

1st FLOPPY DRIVE

VDC WD800BB-63JKCO [This is my hard drive]

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4081B [Obviously, the CD/Ram Drive]

USB Flash MemoryPMAP [This only with the bootable stick installed]

Of course, on my computer, I have network boot disabled, and it appears you have network boot enabled. I would think that either ROM Disable or Int19h should give you a list of local devices, but I am guessing here. bwire- any advice?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #249

03/07/2010 11:40 AM

I did try those choices & ended up back booting from the HDD, after the other modes failed

realize I'm still on my 8.04pc

& trying to confirm the stick

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #251

03/07/2010 11:57 AM

RPL I used to have a RPN calculator..bbs bios =bios boot specification

PXE

BBS= Bios Boot Specification

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #248

03/07/2010 11:36 AM
Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #250

03/07/2010 12:01 PM

OK, what you are getting with your Shift F10 is a Realtek Boot Manager- Realtek makes network cards. This would allow booting the machine from the network. Unless you have your network set up for this, I don't think this would help, but bwire may have more insight here.

What we are looking for is the BIOS boot manager. bwire suggested disabling the HDD in BIOS boot order temporarily. That should force the machine to look for other devices...

By the way, I thought the Gateway we were trying to rescue was an xp machine. The last couple of posts, you talk of a vista machine. Have we somehow upgraded this laptop?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #253

03/07/2010 12:12 PM

We have a working HP vista machine & I'm not about to incur the wrath of my wife by screwing it up

I plugged the USB into it [vista] hot, it tried to do a wubi install. so I think we can assume I have a good 8.04 on the stick

what's my next step on the busted gateway lap?

leaving for a few hrs

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #254

03/07/2010 1:04 PM

Sounds like we are making progress. Plug the stick into the Gateway. Plug in the power supply (we don't want the batteries to go dead during an install). Turn the machine on, and see if it boots. If it doesn't, then we go in to BIOS and play around with the boot order. Are you set up to use Pidgin? That is Ubuntu's answer to Instant Messenger. Maybe we should go real time at this point. I use it with my MS Instant Messenger account. You have my e-mail address...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #255

03/07/2010 4:18 PM

I'm running without the battery to make restarts faster

so far I only get one choice on the boot menu

the stick lights up

no go yet more choices to try

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #256

03/07/2010 5:27 PM

The boot menu has all the usual choices it had for XP & only one choice of operating system, no device choices. when I try safe mode with prompt, no cursor, cause no complete windows.

I concentrated on BIOs

cut it down to 2 boot devices, disabled the 2nd device

ran all 3 choices with stick in & tried disabling all choices

always asks me to put in the boot media & Reboot

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #257

03/07/2010 5:44 PM

Open advanced USB modes, set to 'on', set legacy floppy to 'on'

next step is open the case

In reply to #258

03/07/2010 6:17 PM

on the advanced cmos bios menu

I see USB legacy devices [enabled/disabled].

no other mention of USB on any of the tabs

getting closer to money

http://www.amazon.com/Notebook-Hard-Drive-Desktop-Adapter/dp/B000YTR53W/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_2

so far that's the winner

down to like $5

doesn't give me any other uses

not sure about the ide to usb converter option, would it let me use a pc cd/dvd?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #259

03/07/2010 6:42 PM

In BIOS, Advanced Setup, below the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Boot Device listing, you should also see "Hard Disk Drives", "Removable Drives" and "CD/DVD Drives". There should also be another entry, "Boot other devices", which I think needs to be set to "yes". With the stick inserted before powering up, go to the line, "Hard Disk Drives" and press "enter". You should see a second drive now listed- Mine says "USB Flash MemoryPM". Select this. You may have to disable the first hard drive- I don't on mine. But apparently, BIOS sees this as a second hard drive. This is probably dependent on the particular chip set you are running...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #261

03/07/2010 7:04 PM

It's detects the:

primary master IDE HDD

secondary master none detected

no way to flash the cmos, just reset to default

if I set to boot from HDD I get a blue screen when I push boot menu f10

listing IDE HDD & no other choices to scroll to

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #263

03/07/2010 7:12 PM

What are the items offered on the BIOS Advanced Set Up page? I gave you mine, hoping they would be similar. How many USB ports do you have?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #264

03/07/2010 7:25 PM

4 USB's, last I knew they all worked, the stick flashes in all of them

advanced cmos

IDE HDD

FDD

Broadcom network something or other

disabled

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #266

03/07/2010 8:44 PM

What do you get when you select "disabled"?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #267

03/07/2010 8:49 PM

I disabled both the 1st & 2nd boot options

I get a B/W screen with blinking cursor, asking me to install boot media.

I get this same screen if I choose anything except IDE HDD

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #268

03/07/2010 8:54 PM

No other options on Advanced Set Up page?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #269

03/07/2010 9:29 PM

nope

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #270

03/07/2010 9:37 PM

What other tabs do you have, besides "Adanced Setup"?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #271

03/07/2010 10:24 PM

I may have confused them earlier, here's all the bios tabs in the order they appear

Standard: primary/secondary master, [I can only choose the order, of devices detected]

Advanced: IDE [choices: Disabled, pri, sec, both]

USB legacy [en/dis]

intel speed step [en/dis]

embeded controller [en/dis]

hyper threading [en/dis]

network boot [en/dis]

wireless power [en/dis]

Auto Dim [en/dis]

Security: password

Boot: up to 4 boot devices each with 5 choices [ HDD, FDD, cd, network, disabled]

Exit

the boot menu only comes up if I choose [in bios]a device that is detected, otherwise I get a prompt to install the boot media

the usb has been in the whole time

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #268

03/07/2010 10:25 PM

with USB loaded try typing J:\ enter

In reply to #273

03/07/2010 10:35 PM

the full text is:

Reboot & select proper boot device

or

insert boot media in selected boot device & press a key

there is a blinking cursor, but when you start to type anything, the message just replicates

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #274

03/07/2010 11:17 PM

Go to recovery and select to restore from USB or do a factory restore or spend 5 bucks or call microsoft

In reply to #275

03/07/2010 11:48 PM

microsoft is about as helpful as gateway

telling me to restore from USB aint possible

can't spend it till I got it

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #276

03/07/2010 11:53 PM

Maybe they are hiding things on another page. Wish I could find a Gateway to play with down here in Panama, but they aren't too popular around here- too upscale, too expensive for the local market...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #276

03/07/2010 11:55 PM

my neighbor prevented the horses from breaking the corners of the cross fencing by using steel gate panels welded together at the corner locations.

In reply to #278

03/08/2010 5:38 AM

for our older horse,

I had used logs about one foot around & five feet long for posts, buried about 8"-10" [treated w/copper cromate]

The rails are smaller ponderosa pine trees that I had thinned

pinned em together with pieces of rebar

sunny respects fences, even a thin rope is enough to keep him in or out

We got a younger horse, who is a bit more energetic & operates under the axiom the grass is greener on the other side & she better have a nibble to confirm that, also being a bit shorter would push the posts over

my solution is to bury deeper & pound in a "t" post adjacent, used a piece of topwire to join the 2.

the perimeter fencing is all standard wire fencing & plenty secure [keeps the rat terrier on board]

the cross fencing is just to keep the pastures separate

I'd love to have material to build metal panels & I do keep my eyes open

Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #257

03/08/2010 7:49 AM

Sadly, exactly the problem I mentioned before.......until the latest BIOS is installed, no USB boot is possible.......

Vindicated AGAIN!!

In reply to #280

03/08/2010 8:38 AM

I did make sure i have a good working file on the stick

I did confirm what i believed to be true also

I also learned about permissions & was able to get a couple of other programs working

CW was very helpful

there is no update for the bios, being unique to gateway...

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 145
In reply to #281

03/09/2010 6:57 PM

I just checked in and sorry to see the USB approach couldn't work.

I got internet back today myself - it was an outdoor thing, cable crashed to the ground during an ice storm. No linux required, and the service provider also brought the ladder. lucky me.

In reply to #203
Find in discussion

Re: Installing an Operating System without a floppy disc drive

03/04/2010 11:19 AM

I would rather have a false positive (if that is truly the case?) than no warnings at all.

The site appeared to be exactly one of those "type" of sites with such Malware.....

By the way, I seriously doubt if its a false positive, as Kaspersky has a list of suspect sites, so that when I go on a site, the list is consulted, its that simple........its not software "judging" as to whether its doing something dangerous, though of course there is also software "ready" to block anything nasty from kaspersky.....

We must all make and live by our own judgements in such areas......

In reply to #197
Find in discussion

Elnav's sound problem fiber

03/04/2010 7:11 AM

Can't Elnave make the questionable HDD the secondary [change jumppers] to reformat w/the partition manager?

Register to Reply
Guru
Canada - Member - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 39
In reply to #206

Re: Elnav's sound problem fiber

03/04/2010 11:38 AM

Correct!The situation being, the drive came direct from factory still heat sealed in static protection bag therefore no formatting whatsoever. Evidently the UBUNTU 8.04 was intended for use when upgrading or changing an EXISTING computer where the HDD was already formatted. My fault for making an assumption. The 40 GB is working fine for what I am doing. And now that I do have an alternate communications link I can risk a screw up during my attempts at fixing the original UBUNTU drive. My router allows up to four computers to plug in so I can have this one reading Bwires's excellent explanation on screen while following the instructions on the other machine.

In reply to #195
Find in discussion

03/04/2010 10:14 AM

Linux uses ext2 or ext3 formating for disks- NTFS and FAT32 are both Microsoft formats. I suspect the new disk had no formating at all- Ubuntu can format in any of these. There may have been a problem with not specifying format of the drive. Or it is possible that the BIOS did not auto-detect the drive configuration (number of heads, cylinders, etc.)

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #181
Find in discussion

03/03/2010 10:19 PM

well that was a bust

AMI doesn't support the MOBO & consequently can't supply an update for the bios

gateway was about as helpful as they have always been in my experience with them dealing with this machine.. not

tried a chat with support their response was, pay us money & we'll help you, out of warranty too bad soo sad

saw a few updates, all exe's

http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Gateway/7000Series/4997nv.shtml

I tried this search

102156Gateway Notebook Motherboard bios update,

Didn't find any thing useful

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #194

03/04/2010 5:57 AM

The AMI or Award BIOS id appears at the bottom of your screen after power on, during memory count up. The PAUSE key should work at that point, allowing you to write down the BIOS number, the BIOS date, and the version. You must copy it exactly.

In reply to #194

03/04/2010 6:04 AM

In reply to #199

03/04/2010 6:28 AM

For this to work, he appears to need a ruunning windows system/hard disk to download to or execute.....which he still does not have.......!!

Here is a screen print of part of that website (it may not be clear, but it ONLY offeres windows versions/Manufacturers Windows versions....:-

In reply to #202

03/04/2010 6:41 AM

Yes that's what he needs then later he can ubuntu

In reply to #181
Find in discussion

03/04/2010 3:57 AM

Thats not the way I understand it should work, but I am prepared to be wrong of course.......

Please give Garth full/complete details....as that was simply not enough to be useful...

In reply to #196

03/04/2010 6:10 AM

Garthh doesn't follow directions...

In the BIOS under USB advanced modes set to legacy USB on

BTW this mobo has PCI so what's wrong with a PCI/floppy interface??

In reply to #137
Find in discussion

Re: Installing an Operating System without a CD

02/26/2010 10:38 AM

Andy-

It appears that we have two separate issues being addressed in this particular thread- the first was the boot issue from the original poster, and the second a request for help with a sound problem. It is hard to keep track of which problem is being addressed by any particular respondent. That's what makes this an interesting thread...

Guru

In reply to #142

02/27/2010 4:16 PM

You are so F*****g right!!

In reply to #133
Find in discussion

02/26/2010 2:58 PM

There are two conversations in this thread the original posted by Garthh and a secondary by elnav.

I was replying to elnav and his BIOS does support USB.

On another note I tried to inform Garthh that his BIOS does support USB boot from Dos 7.1 with which he could then enable a BIOS update.

In reply to #145

02/27/2010 4:20 PM

I am slowly getting there......slowly!!!

In reply to #131
Find in discussion

02/26/2010 10:25 AM

elnav-

There are procedures on the Ubuntu site for building the equivalent of the LiveCD on a memory stick. All of the latest Ubuntu's come in either 32 bit or 64 bit- one selects which one wants when one selects the image file to download. My impression is that 32 bit is more stable than 64-bit. Unless you have some serious computing tasks like intensive 3D CAD or Finite Elements Analysis or the like, there is little advantage right now to 64 bit, and you can run the 32 bit software on a 64 bit machine. Most of the packages come in either i386 or AMD versions- my understanding is that the AMD versions are mostly 64 bit while the i386 vesions are 32 bit, but I am not sure of this. I know that a lot of the AMD stuff will run on my 64 bit Intel machines- but I do not know if the i386 versions will run on AMD machines. For now, I think 32 bit software is much more stable. My favorite version of Ubuntu so far is the 9.04, 32 bit. I am running 9.10 54 bit on the same machine as an experimental set up, and I am running 8.04 64 bit on a machine that had been running 7.04 32 bit- this machine is used for FEA and other computationally-intensive projects- and is set up for the wife to use for intenet and office type applications (one of the things I like about Linux is that I can set it up to work in two languages- the wife works in Spanish, and I work in English. Dual language capabilities keep peace in the family...).

Register to Reply
Guru

02/28/2010 12:40 PM

In the DOS days, I used to make a cable (serial or parallel) that would allow two DOS computers to exchange files.

I never tried to use it to boot though.....if it worked (unlikely), it would be really slow......

03/07/2010 6:38 PM

You'll find this very interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N51B0gi-g0U

In reply to #260

03/07/2010 7:02 PM

Interesting little program- I can see some applications for this, but when I read through the instructions (quick read, not in-depth study), I get the impression that to get it to work in this case would be pretty complicated...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #260

03/07/2010 7:22 PM

really cool,

still the same problem

what is the procedure for getting plop

seems like there is a possible point of entry via the usb legacy route.

the usb port is active, the stick lights up, I tried a usb mouse it does work when windows is trying to restore on screens that the touch pad is active

Register to Reply
Guru

03/10/2010 10:40 AM

Bought the HDD interface last night of amazon

I'll burn a CD of a 9.04 install, since the PC won't boot from USB either

Install the notebooks HDD as the primary[only] & see where that gets me.

there are other ways I'm sure but this one is the least complicated

I'll post back when I get the part

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 145
In reply to #283

03/11/2010 5:08 PM

good luck! at last I hope!

03/15/2010 9:15 PM

just did the install, never burned a 9.04 cd

so I'm on 8.04

does weird stuff on start up since it's trying to confirm the drivers, which were set up for the pc I used for doing the reformat & install...

if I skip the step, starts up fine

ran all the updates

think I'll see if I can do a fresh install online

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #285

03/15/2010 9:25 PM

Excellent!!!

Attaboy!!!!!!

XP installs wonderfully after Linux

In reply to #286

03/15/2010 9:36 PM

same problem? or no

how do I get it off the disc without a cd/dvd

I would probably need to make a fat32 partition?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #287

03/15/2010 10:13 PM

Carefully read this...

I have also updated gateway, best buy, dell and a few other BIOS; once the EOM is no longer supporting the computer, by using the Intel BIOS update for the Intel board.

I download from MS to disc and reboot with the disk in optical drive and let the machine work it out itself; it takes about three or four days.... Then you may boot from USB with the updated BIOS.

So get an optical drive.

In reply to #287

03/15/2010 10:44 PM

Have you no network boot option? (RIS) remote installation services; install O/S through the network?

In reply to #296

03/15/2010 11:32 PM

as I understand it I need a static IP address to do a network boot, my service provider thinks this is worth a couple of bucks per month, the modem/router is not helpful or I would have given it a try a month ago.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #299

03/16/2010 4:35 AM

Moving onto windows deployment services (WDS). Though the article doesn't indicate up front it WDS will function installing XP O/S.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc498718.aspx

In reply to #286

03/15/2010 9:43 PM

Why would anyone want XP when one has Ubuntu available???

Guru

In reply to #289

03/15/2010 9:48 PM

Depends on how familiar, lazy or forgiving one is

In reply to #290

03/15/2010 9:57 PM

When you are as lazy as I am, Ubuntu is definitely the operating system for you...

Guru

In reply to #285

03/15/2010 9:42 PM

I'm curious about the "wierd stuff" it does on start-up...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #288

03/15/2010 10:09 PM

grub loads, I get the unbuntu start up screen

fails after checking8% dev sba [partition]

goes to a b/w screen

fsck died with exit status 4

a bunch of inconsistencies are listed

when I pull up the list of problems, 300 items

or if I just do control d at the root prompt

restart & skip the partition check [esc]

fires right up

I took messenger back out [vista] as it was nagging me about when & where I was signed in, generally slowing things down...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #292

03/15/2010 10:16 PM

Disabling Messenger in Services is prudent always...

In reply to #292

03/15/2010 10:21 PM

"sda" should be your hard disk. You may have some bad sectors on the hard disk. Exit Status 4 means no errors were corrected. You should have a text file in your /etc folder named "fstab" (which stands for "file system table" which would tell us for sure what file system "sba" is referring to- I suspect it may be looking for your usb stick, but I am not sure...Copy the contents of your fstab file and paste into a message here...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #295

03/15/2010 11:23 PM

I did a full install, using the entire HDD

The files in the order they are displayed

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/sda1
UUID=ef32be38-0099-4e21-9d47-cf7d9a74b523 / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /dev/sda5
UUID=042b63d4-731b-4576-be34-f432b4e7b88d none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
/dev/scd1 /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

next file

# Format:# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>## dump(8) uses the <dump> field to determine which file systems need# to be dumped. fsck(8) uses the <pass> column to determine which file# systems need to be checked--the root file system should have a 1 in# this field, other file systems a 2, and any file systems that should# not be checked (such as MS-DOS or NFS file systems) a 0.## The `sw' option indicates that the swap partition is to be activated# with `swapon -a'./dev/hda2 none swap sw 0 0# The `bsdgroups' option indicates that the file system is to be mounted# with BSD semantics (files inherit the group ownership of the directory# in which they live). `ro' can be used to mount a file system read-only./dev/hda3 / ext2 defaults 0 1/dev/hda5 /home ext2 defaults 0 2/dev/hda6 /var ext2 defaults 0 2/dev/hda7 /usr ext2 defaults,ro 0 2/dev/hda8 /usr/local ext2 defaults,bsdgroups 0 2# The `noauto' option indicates that the file system should not be mounted# with `mount -a'. `user' indicates that normal users are allowed to mount# the file system./dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,noauto,ro,user 0 0/dev/fd0 /floppy minix defaults,noauto,user 0 0/dev/fd1 /floppy minix defaults,noauto,user 0 0# NFS file systems:server:/export/usr /usr nfs defaults 0 0# proc file system:proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

Next File

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# The following is an example. Please see fstab(5) for further details.
# Please refer to mount(1) for a complete description of mount options.
#
# Format:
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
#
# dump(8) uses the <dump> field to determine which file systems need
# to be dumped. fsck(8) uses the <pass> column to determine which file
# systems need to be checked--the root file system should have a 1 in
# this field, other file systems a 2, and any file systems that should
# not be checked (such as MS-DOS or NFS file systems) a 0.
#
# The `sw' option indicates that the swap partition is to be activated
# with `swapon -a'.
/dev/hda2 none swap sw 0 0

# The `bsdgroups' option indicates that the file system is to be mounted
# with BSD semantics (files inherit the group ownership of the directory
# in which they live). `ro' can be used to mount a file system read-only.
/dev/hda3 / ext2 defaults 0 1
/dev/hda5 /home ext2 defaults 0 2
/dev/hda6 /var ext2 defaults 0 2
/dev/hda7 /usr ext2 defaults,ro 0 2
/dev/hda8 /usr/local ext2 defaults,bsdgroups 0 2

# The `noauto' option indicates that the file system should not be mounted
# with `mount -a'. `user' indicates that normal users are allowed to mount
# the file system.
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,noauto,ro,user 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy minix defaults,noauto,user 0 0
/dev/fd1 /floppy minix defaults,noauto,user 0 0

# NFS file systems:
server:/export/usr /usr nfs defaults 0 0

# proc file system:

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #298

03/16/2010 12:27 AM

From your fstab file, it looks like the hard disk is partitioned properly (one root partition and one swap partition), and it is the root partition that is not passing the file system check- which suggests there may be some bad sectors in the hard disk- i.e., the hard disk may be dying...I would suggest use it as is for a while, and see if it starts going crazy. I would not at this stage use it to store anything of critical value...The system should now recognize any usb stick you mount, and you can use those to store your data.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply Page 3 of 4: « First < Prev 1 2 3 4 Next > Last »
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (36); Anonymous Poster (1); artsmith (23); bwire (78); cwarner7_11 (64); DrMoose (3); elnav (18); Garthh (103); gussosa (1); mike k (1); Mrs.Rabbit (1); YWROADRUNNER (8)

Previous in Forum: Excel 2007 ASCI Converter   Next in Forum: Universal File Format
You might be interested in: USB Connectors, USB Products, Optical Storage Media

Advertisement