Previous in Forum: Can a Fish Tank Interfere with a Wireless Network?   Next in Forum: Parabolic Mirrors for Generating Steam
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Anonymous Poster

Pest Control Methods for Food Processing

02/28/2010 12:03 AM

What is the best method available for the prvention of ,insects, rats and snakes into the food product industry.It is given to understand that Carbonic acid ,if it is sprayed on the walls may prevent the entry of insets.Can anybody throw somelight on it.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

Re: Pest control

02/28/2010 12:55 AM

Despite various religious constraints and general squeamishness, most of these critters are actually edible. It's just a matter of finding good recipes. Deep frying would work pretty well for these examples, especially if you slice-and-dice the big ones into bite-sized morsels. If you don't want locusts to eat your crops, then eat them first. Not only is this Biblically sanctioned, you can relabel them as "prairie shrimp," and they will be just as delicate and tasty as, say, clam strips. (Rather like deep-fried pork rinds, but smaller.) Neither kosher nor halal nor vegan, but yummy, especially with a good beer!

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #1

02/28/2010 5:05 PM

Hi "Tornado."

Your "inspired suggestion" about eating them critters took me back quite a ways, both in distance and time. On a bombed out military airfield in Java, Indonesia, there sat a bunch of Javanese laborers... they had a little fire going on the ground and a basket full of large locusts. They skewered them on a thin bamboo skewer and roasted them over the fire. The smell was good and the crackle between their teeth inviting. But I declined their offer to join in the feast. It was cowardice, I suppose. Just did not have have the guts to chew a locust. If I had a similar chance today, I would go for it without hesitation. Thanks for inducing a little trip down memory lane.

Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

02/28/2010 1:20 AM

On a more realistic and conventional view, pest entry can be mitigated by such measures as these:

Tight-closing doors or screens at all openings into the facility.

Traps for rodents or the like.

Air curtains for any openings that must remain open.

"Bug zappers," which consist of an ultraviolet fluorescent lamp to attract insects into a high-voltage grid in front of the lamp.

General plant hygiene, such as no food scraps allowed to lie around.

If minks waddle into your plant despite these measures, shoot them with a pellet gun. All the better if you know how to tan the pelts...make a stole!

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 409

Re: Pest Control Methods for Food Processing

02/28/2010 10:49 PM

Depends on how bad the infestation is and where it is.

In this contry there are exceptable amounts of insects/creatures in grain, vegtables, fruit.

Bakeries, always have issues where their flour is stored.

Peas, corn and the like......small frogs and such.

As far is mice and rats. traps at every entrance/exits of buildings as well as rooms.

Try calling an expert see what they have to say. such as maybe Orkin?

03/01/2010 3:31 AM

Snake repellent is the same as moth balls, except moth balls are significantly cheaper

Bob

Commentator

In reply to #5

03/01/2010 9:43 PM

Hi,thanks.

Would like to know more about moth balls.

Associate

Good Answers: 3

03/02/2010 9:03 AM

There are different method depending on pest you wish to control. I do suggest you follow HACCP procedure for identification of the problem and make correction action to solve the problem.

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Commentator

In reply to #7

03/03/2010 11:13 AM

I have not received reply to my querry regarding moth balls.Appreciate if it can be exexplained in detail.

Participant

09/29/2018 6:32 AM

Thanks for sharing.

Reply to Forum Thread 9 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Alexander M. Berlin (1); Anonymous Poster (1); Mohamed Wahab (1); phoenix911 (1); pokalasrao (2); RobertEchols (1); Tornado (2)

Previous in Forum: Can a Fish Tank Interfere with a Wireless Network?   Next in Forum: Parabolic Mirrors for Generating Steam
You might be interested in: Pest Control Products and Equipment

Advertisement