Previous in Forum: Temporary Welded Blanking Plates for Pipe Spool Testing   Next in Forum: ASME Section VIII Div-1
Close
Close
Close
3 comments
Active Contributor
India - Member - New Member

Drill Bit Clearance Angle

03/01/2010 11:18 PM

if the clearence angle of a drill bit is increased wt happns to the machining

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: drill bits
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering -

Good Answers: 71

Re: drill bit

03/02/2010 12:06 AM

If I understand your question, if you increase the angle of the cutting face, it will cut faster and deeper. This isn't a problem with soft material, but you will bind up the drill if the clearance angle is too steep on tougher materials.

This picture shows the cutting face at 2 and 7 o'clock. This is usually close to parallel to the center axis of the drill bit. Trailing away from the cut face is what I think you are describing. If you visualize this angle varying from perpendicular to the axis of the drill bit it is usually about 30°. If you decrease this to about 10° the drill will cut much slower but be less likely to bind, increase it much more than 30° and it will bite too deep and either produce too much material for the spiral to get rid of or just wedge itself into the material.

I have an old textbook about basic metalworking that goes into detail about it. If you require, I can upload some images of the text, I didn't read through them, but here are two websites with information too.

Drill bits

Drill bits

Drew

Good Answers: 143

Re: drill bit

03/02/2010 7:22 AM

There can be no simple answer, although the previous post (which gets a GA) is pretty comprehensive. There are several factors you must always take into account: hardness; stickiness; cutting fluid; chip formation; feed rate; drill size (you can get away with 40° clearance in a 0.063" drill, but not in a 0.500" one); and machine (higher clearances typically need a steadier quill and feed). So, you need a machining handbook and some trial-and-error.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 57

Re: Drill Bit Clearance Angle

03/02/2010 10:20 PM

The rule of thumb is the harder the material, the flatter the drill angle. A steep angle for wood, a little less for aluminum, normal (37 deg?) for mild steel, and real flat for tough steel and stainless. Brass is funny, you should use a shallow angle, but grind a flat on the blade so the bit does not dig in. In many soft materials, especially lead and brass, a bit will try to bite off more than it can chew. Controlled feed is important.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Drew K (1); mike k (1); TVP45 (1)

Previous in Forum: Temporary Welded Blanking Plates for Pipe Spool Testing   Next in Forum: ASME Section VIII Div-1
You might be interested in: Guides Bushings and Drill Bushings, Drill Bits, Drills

Advertisement