Previous in Forum: Advantages on Star-Delta & DOL Connection on 3-Phase Submersible Pumps   Next in Forum: Admin/Finance Manager - Fuel Consumption
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 297

Administrators: Please Include an Instruction Not to Use Acronyms.

04/14/2010 3:18 AM

Please include an instruction not to use acronyms in the Tips for Posting on CR4:

CRMINAL

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 822

Re: Administrators: please include an instruction not to use acronyms.

04/14/2010 3:36 AM

Ban TLAs ASAP!

Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

04/14/2010 7:07 AM

so no more psi, mm, cfm, kw, ft, AM or PM, ect.. LOL

In reply to #2

04/14/2010 7:40 AM

Yesterday there was a thread about wooden cable drums: the OP wanted to know why they don't use GI or MS. Several contributors to the thread had no idea what GI and MS were. I tried several acronym finders with no success; fortunately JRaef put us out of our misery.

Most people would probably know all the ones you've mentioned: but maybe someone unfamiliar with imperial measures would struggle with psi and cfm: I don't know, it just seems better not to assume.

Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266
In reply to #3

04/14/2010 1:19 PM

Everyday should be a learning experience. That was yours. Even with full names applied it is some times difficult to decipher what some one is asking. Years ago while in south working for electrical contractor was asked to get some one some kindorf. Didn't know what he was talking about until he showed me. Where I grew up its call unistrut. Both are trade names of the manufacture for about the same identical product.

Re: Administrators: Please Include an Instruction Not to Use Acronyms.

04/14/2010 8:13 AM

See FAQ. Please RTFM. :)

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 284

Administrators: What Say You RE: Acronyms?

04/14/2010 3:58 PM

Hey there Randall.

Well, I think admin might resist your plea... on the margin of my screen, I see CR4 acronyms FAQ, RSS, and CR4.

And ozzb got me thinking... is it an apartment or a flat? Is it a lorry or a truck? Who thinks bonnets and boots are parts of a car? In USA, a silencer fits on a firearm. In USA, we cannot purchase items with a pound, the pound is where vagrant dogs and cats end up!

I have found many posts contain some vague, indecipherable acronym or reference... I usually can find out what it means, if I am interested enough in the remainder of the post. If I cannot, I just ask them. If they want an answer, they need to communicate more clearly... and it seems that really is the point of your thread.

In reply to #6

Re: Administrators: What Say You RE: Acronyms?

04/15/2010 3:05 AM

Pounds is a good example here's a post where I've converted the £ cost in a link to a $ cost for the OP (original poster nearly caught me there) (note that the price has dropped considerably since the thread was active). The point is that for every post there is one writer and many readers: so, it seems more efficient to me if the writer puts in a bit more effort so that the readers can each put in a bit less.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Doorman (1); ozzb (2); PWSlack (1); Randall (2)

Previous in Forum: Advantages on Star-Delta & DOL Connection on 3-Phase Submersible Pumps   Next in Forum: Admin/Finance Manager - Fuel Consumption

Advertisement