Previous in Forum: PSI Calculation   Next in Forum: In Search of a Rotatable Mount for Wood Utility Poles
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 5

Mobile Phone Dangers

04/30/2010 11:52 AM

I got the following in my email. Do you think it is possible? It may be likely as cell phone chargers are SMPS operating at high frequency. When a call comes in, again some high frequency is generated in the mobile phone. Even if the SMPS is an isolated DC charger - will it result in mains voltage getting leaked to output (poor quality SMPS designs?)

A person was recharging his mobile phone at home.

Just at that time a call came in and he answered it with the charging Instrument
still connected to the outlet.

After a few seconds electricity flowed into the cell phone unrestrained and the young man
was thrown to the floor with a heavy thud. As you can see, the phone actually exploded.

He was rushed to the Emergency Room unconscious and with a weak heartbeat and burnt fingers.

Unfortunately he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Cell phones are a very useful modern invention.

However, we must be aware that it can also be an instrument of death.

NEVER use the cell phone while it is hooked to the electrical outlet!

If you are charging the cell phone and a call comes in, unplug it from the charger and outlet

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Power-User
Nigeria - Member -  Member

Good Answers: 3

Re: Mobile Phone Dangers

04/30/2010 12:30 PM

We may ask, where did this incident take place? Where ever it took place must be verifyable at least.

While it is good practice to not use a cell phone while it is hooked to a live electrical outlet and to unplug cell phone from charger and outlet prior to answering a call, it is my considered openion that the e-mail content bothers on the fear factor syndrom.

That mail has been circulating for quite a while.

cheers,

ethobil

Good Answers: 60

04/30/2010 1:03 PM
Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #2

05/04/2010 12:24 PM

completely agreed. Ford Car Guide

04/30/2010 1:06 PM

in answer to mobile phone dangers

the article in question

I got the following in my email. Do you think it is possible? It may be likely as cell phone chargers are SMPS operating at high frequency. When a call comes in, again some high frequency is generated in the mobile phone. Even if the SMPS is an isolated DC charger - will it result in mains voltage getting leaked to output (poor quality SMPS designs?)

A person was recharging his mobile phone at home.

Just at that time a call came in and he answered it with the charging Instrument
still connected to the outlet.

After a few seconds electricity flowed into the cell phone unrestrained and the young man
was thrown to the floor with a heavy thud. As you can see, the phone actually exploded.

He was rushed to the Emergency Room unconscious and with a weak heartbeat and burnt fingers.

Unfortunately he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Cell phones are a very useful modern invention.

However, we must be aware that it can also be an instrument of death.

NEVER use the cell phone while it is hooked to the electrical outlet!

If you are charging the cell phone and a call comes in, unplug it from the charger and outlet

Answer NO. low volatge devices are double insulated to stop this very thing happening

there must have been somthing else, it is likely his hands where wet or theres somthing missing from your information.

if you are right then picking up any out let lead from a charger would result in death.

utter twaddle sorry

peter7lyq

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194

04/30/2010 2:38 PM

Here is a link to a Google search in which there are links to many articles describing this as a hoax.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=cell+phone+electrocution+hoax&aq=2&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=cell+phone+ele&gs_rfai=&fp=a86c207b1c79523e

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Analog and Digital Circuit Design Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Transformers, Motors & Drives, EM Launchers Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Applied Electrical, Optical, and Mechanical

Good Answers: 119

04/30/2010 5:50 PM

Lithium batteries, when badly abused, can burst and cause burns.

A direct lightning strike to the building wire could also cause "explosive" results on a charging cell phone.

However, these conditions are EXTREMELY rare. This story and advice are just internet garbage. I use my cell phone frequently while it is connected to its charger. I also KNOW how both devices (charger and phone) work and there is no danger from my hardware.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #6

05/01/2010 12:03 AM

Thanks for that piece of personal experience.

I suppose it was another internet garbage in circulation.

Nigeria - Member -  Member

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #7

05/03/2010 6:32 AM

Yes, the mail is another internet garbage in circulation and this one too;

"...A man tried to answer a mobile phone call in a petrol station and bang! an explosion occurred...."

In addition to the fantastic theory explained out as the reason for the explosion, people were advised to not make phone calls in petrol stations and so on.

And lot more garbages that I, always ignore on receipt.

cheers,

ethobil

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

a+x=z (1); Anonymous Poster (1); ethobil (2); friendyomi (1); Mikerho (1); mjb1962853 (1); peterg7lyq (2)

Previous in Forum: PSI Calculation   Next in Forum: In Search of a Rotatable Mount for Wood Utility Poles

Advertisement