Previous in Forum: British Sniper Shoots Over a Mile   Next in Forum: Substitute for ISO46 Hydraulic oil
Close
Close
Close
27 comments
Anonymous Poster

Transocean Oil Spill - Backup plan for containment dome?

05/07/2010 1:21 PM

http://drillingclub.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=wellcontrol&action=display&thread=4837&page=26

Here is the concept I had for separating the water/oil mix at the sea floor and piping the separated crude up to the ship. The package of three separators should output 190,000 gallons of crude/day from 3,600,000 gallons/day of seawater/oil mix if my calculations are correct. I am leaving it to better minds to ponder.

The JPEG is too large to install here.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Anonymous Poster

Re: Transocean Oil Spill - Backup plan for containment dome?

05/07/2010 6:50 PM

Sorry about the previous post containing a picture so large. It was like trying to identify an elephant using a microscope. This is what happens when you stay up till 1:30 in the morning trying to draw centrifugal separators. Please see the Drilling Club link below.

Here is the concept I had for separating the water/oil mix at the sea floor and piping the separated crude up to the ship. The package of three separators should output 190,000 gallons of crude /day from 3,600,000 gallons/day of seawater/oil mix if my calculations are correct. I am leaving it to better minds to ponder.

http://drillingclub.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=wellcontrol&action=display&thread=4837&page=28

The closest equipment I could locate that seemed to be a good match for the concept:
http://pdf.directindustry.com/pdf/alfa-l....02-13324 8.html

It would likely need to be equipped with a secondary pump to get the separated crude back to the surface and a pump to discharge water out the side.

Concept:
Enclose the entire skid in a tank. The tank would only need to be rated for 5 to 10 psi differential pressure. The bottom would be weighted so it could be submerged without tipping.
Pressure equalization system: Similar to a second stage scuba regulator only the diaphragm would be biased so 2 – 5 psi higher pressure is maintained within the tank. It would continually adjust the pressure during descent/ascent.
Purging system: A dump valve with a float would be installed in the bottom of the enclosure. If water rises to trip the float the internal higher pressure would exhaust the water out the bottom.
Effects of pressure on machinery components: Would need to ensure that all components are solid. E.g.: No foam gaskets or seals, no voids in epoxy that could collapse under pressure. The seals may need to be replaced after recovering the unit to surface if it hasn't been decompressed. They could rupture.
Umbilical: Would allow passage of separated crude oil back up to the surface and power from the ship down to supply the motors. Could also contain booster pumps if needed.
Power: Could be hydraulic taking into account the pressure losses with this much travel. Electrical power has been considered in the past for diver tools. I am not a sparky so I would defer that to the Naval Civil Engineering Lab. The power requirements for equipment this large are considerable if you consider the possibility of multiple units.
Intake: Could be a fabric cone with lift bags at the top and anchored to the sea floor. A hose would be attached at the top of the cone and the other end connected to the centrifuge through a bulkhead fitting in the side of the enclosure.

Placement of the cone, hoses, anchors, etc would all depend on ROV capabilities.

Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194
In reply to #1

05/07/2010 11:53 PM

Hello Guest,

Why not register here? Not only would we get to know you more quickly and easily, but you could get automatic email alerts when someone replies to your post.

Nevertheless, welcome to CR4.

Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

Good Answers: 204
In reply to #2

05/08/2010 12:20 AM

that's too funny! ahahahaha.

Guest is Kyzine (I think...) got banned for bad behaviour in Feb, but is still an intelligent and well loved contributor.

You can generally tell by the quality of the posts, so he usually skips the signature..

Chris

Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

In reply to #3

05/08/2010 1:05 AM

Hi Chris,

Of all Kyzine's posts that I've seen, none seemed offensive to me. Now that you say it though, the quality seems to match. The other thing is that the link he offered was to the Driller's Club. It was just recently brought up in the oil spill threads, so I thought he was new here.

Anyway, very knowledgeable on the issue.

I've been following these threads with interest because the subject matter is one that I am unfamiliar with. Until this spill and it's impact, I had never thought about exactly how underwater oil well drilling is done. I am learning so much on this subject. I am content just to read posts and internet articles.

By the way, nice models of POVs! What do you use for a modeling package?

Mike

Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

In reply to #4

05/08/2010 1:14 AM

Hi Mikerho,

I'm not sure what a POV is at the moment.. but the accumulator system I show was in Solidworks 2007. I'm also an Inventor user, and have dabbled a bit in 3ds max. I have quite a few things here that I made in the freeware Moray/Povray raytracing system. I also use Visio quite a bit for 2d. (although I originally trained in Autocad)

Chris

Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #5

05/08/2010 1:40 AM

Sorry, I've gotten my acronyms a bit confused (WTF?). I meant a BOP - blowout preventer.

I am fairly new to 3D modeling. I purchased my own copy of Alibre Design about 2 years ago. It only cost me $500 which, at the time seemed a pretty good deal. However, to keep technical support and get upgrades, there is a yearly fee. Not unreasonable, but I just couldn't afford it. I have been pretty happy with it.

Now, seeing as my company is building a new plant and I am the only degreed engineer, maybe I can justify a SolidWorks License.

In reply to #4

05/08/2010 9:27 AM

I am using Solidworks 2010.

I haven't worked in the oil industry since the early 1980's. About my only offshore experience was on a Gulf jack up rig once for a tubing conveyed perforating job. Mainly designed draw works for land rigs and power units for offshore wireline use. Also worked a bit on undersea diver power tools.

Guru

In reply to #7

05/08/2010 12:42 PM

sounds like interesting stuff!

How do you like 2010? I haven't used it. My license stopped with 2007, so I have to wait to get another job with solidworks, or win some money.

Chris

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #9

05/08/2010 1:41 PM

This little project is really the first time I have used it. It doesn't seem that different from 2009 so far.

Guru
Australia - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 23
In reply to #7

05/09/2010 7:58 PM

What power tools were they ? Hydraulic?in the Gulf just curious.

Unfortunate to see the gas expansion is freezing sea water round collection dome causing it to float away from location. Complications of the system not being able to seperate gas from oil untill it hits the surface also causing oil to thicken up, I dont envy the engineers problems.

In reply to #17

05/09/2010 9:01 PM

Hello Garth,

I worked on the prototypes for two of the four seawater powered diver tools for the Naval Civil Engineering Lab. They were an impact wrench and rock drill. There was also a manufacturing study for a right angle grinder and bandsaw. The company I worked for at the time also provided larger underwater oil hydraulic impact wrenches, grinders and a chainsaw. One of the impact wrenches was set up for ROV capability.

I was attempting to conceptualize a ring style pump inlet that would allow the gases to free flow through the middle and pull the seawater/crude oil mix into the ring. Anyway you look at it the people on the ship above the leak are at risk due to the gas pockets.

Commentator

In reply to #4

05/09/2010 9:18 PM

OK, you talked me into it. I registered. And, no, I am obviously not Kyzine. This incident is what finally convinced me to go online.

Guru

In reply to #19

05/09/2010 9:35 PM

Hello KDS,

Welcome to CR4!

Mike

In reply to #19

05/09/2010 10:14 PM

I apologize.. You look just like 'im.

Welcome aboard!

Anonymous Poster

05/08/2010 12:05 PM

My basic question regarding separation equipment:

How much of this equipment is already capable or could be adapted to sea floor use by means of enclosing the equipment in a nitrogen filled pressure chamber 5 – 10 psi higher than the ambient sea bed pressure?

The goal: Fast deployment of emergency response equipment to deal with the collection of freely escaping oil/seawater/gas/contaminant mixture at the sea floor level and process it for transport up an umbilical to the ship supplying power to the subsea equipment. The equipment would need to be configured in deployable packages. Any sea floor connections would need to take into account ROV capabilities.

Links for oil/water/gas separation:

http://www.epmag.com/archives/features/663.htm

http://www.eurekanetwork.org/showsuccess....4_groupId=10137

http://www.offshore-technology.com/features/feature2096/

Separator for Multi-Phase Slug Flow and Method of Designing Same
http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20090218278

Water-Oil Emulsion Separator:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5286383.html

Multi-Phase Flow and Separator:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5149344.html

Anonymous Poster

05/08/2010 1:22 PM

Is anyone familiar with a pump inlet device at the end of a hose that would separate liquid from gas? The concept that comes to mind would be similar to a large centrifugal pump housing completely open through the center. If placed directly over one of the oil leaks at the sea floor could a pump inlet be designed to allow gas to escape through the middle of the housing into open ocean and the crude/oil mix directed to the suction pump? The nozzle would need to be able to withstand kicks from the well without being blown out of position.

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #10

05/08/2010 7:37 PM

I remembered the vortex tube since it has been advertised so heavily over the years. Could a variation be used in a situation like this (Reverse flow) to use mild centrifugal force to partially separate the seawater from the crude oil and allow the escape of a potential gas kick? It would need to be powered by the differential pressure generated by the pump inlet. The other risk that would need to be avoided would be crystalization of the gas unless you could ensure it would be ejected out the top and out of the pump inlet flow.

http://www.exair.com/en-US/Primary%20Navigation/Products/Vortex%20Tubes%20and%20Spot%20Cooling/Vortex%20Tubes/Pages/A%20Phenomenon%20of%20Physics.aspx

If there is merit for this in this application is anyone up for the challenge?

Anonymous Poster

05/08/2010 9:34 PM

I just added this to the Drilling club site:

http://drillingclub.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=wellcontrol&action=display&thread=4837&page=32

Re: Transocean fire
« Reply #956 Today at 1:17am »

Don't know anything about it since I haven't used it but here goes...

Another option to the flash set cement could be low melting temperature bismuth alloys or indium alloys if they aren't reactive to what is in the well and could be properly heated and injected.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#casting-compounds/=708ske

Could they be heated to melting temperature and suddenly injected into the BOP using something like a chemical cutter propellant charge? Drive the molten metal through the burst disc.

Anonymous Poster

05/08/2010 9:47 PM

Sorry, I was off a couple pages on the link.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#bismuth-alloys/=70974z

Different melting temperature grades are available for each metal.
Bismuth melting temperature range: 158 - 338F
Indium melting temperature range: 117 - 260F

Anonymous Poster

05/09/2010 11:34 AM

In light of the current situation I decided to add an earlier entry from the drilling club discussion just to throw it out there to spur thought of other possibilities.

http://drillingclub.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=wellcontrol&action=display&thread=4837&page=11

« Result #10 on May 3, 2010, 12:30am »

I have not worked in the oil industry since the early 1980's but would like to contribute some possibilities for what they are worth.

To divert the flow from the riser:
Use a fitting similar to a banjo fitting typically used in automotive fuel and brake systems. It has a "U" shaped cross section with radial seals on both ends and a fitting out the side. If the back pressure isn't too extensive it could be fairly lightweight and split to saddle over the riser. Hopefully with lift bags for neutral buoyancy it would be manageable by the ROV. Once attached a hose would be attached to the side port and the housing purged of seawater. The end of the hose could potentially be attached to a large bladder on the sea floor. I believe they are available for fuel storage. Inside the banjo housing would contain a set of small jet perforators facing the OD of the riser. When detonated, the perforators would allow flow into the fitting housing and out the hose. In order to minimize the pressure multiple taps may be needed.

Closing the riser:
Review the movie Fat Man & Little Boy depicting Los Alamos in the 1940's when they were experimenting with imploding cylindrical pipe. If this technique were successful using a series of wedge shaped HE charges placed by the ROV around the riser it may serve to swage the riser to a reduced diameter or potentially closed.

Severing the riser:
If severing is required you could potentially use linear shaped charge around the OD. Another alternative is to adapt a chemical cutter to operate on the OD Vs ID. It offers a clean cut.

If the previous methods are not viable:
Saddle a clamp over the riser with a swing out plug or split annulus if needed. Sever the riser and drill string then attempt to swing the plug into place sealing the annulus, drill string or both.

I am assuming a deep water JLAY vessel may be available to pipe out the captured oil.

That's my two cents worth.
Guru
Australia - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 23
In reply to #15

05/10/2010 7:32 AM

Hi KDS Welcome to CR4,

I appreciate the shape charge pipe crimp method, I believe I mentioned this on a previous CR4 post. Considering there desperate situation if they can place one it might be the only way to reduce the flow in a reasonable time scale. It would need some carefull caculations.

Somehow I do not see the entrapment tank working in this situation, certainly your suggestion on the centrifuge system has merit, but construction and application could be to long in this case.

My interest in the UW tooling design was peaked I did some hydraulic tool and pumping systems for torque wrenches in the North sea many years ago. I like the idea of sea water powered tools, how did you handle the reaction, a short dump hose tied off somewhere, or opposed exhausts?

In reply to #22

05/10/2010 11:20 AM

After learning more regarding the hydrates complications I am of the opinion that a full separation system would likely be needed requiring multiple submerged skids. I would hope every available centrifugal separator would be in use right now for processing surface oil. What I would like to see at this point would be an emergency plan going forward with equipment and a fast response team that could address the problems at the sea floor before the oil dissipates. If the hydrates could be dealt with at that level it would solve a host of problems.

There is still plenty out there regarding the seawater hydraulics. Most of what I worked on is ancient history now, going back to the mid 1980's.

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #15

06/05/2010 7:10 PM

KDS/Guest, I proposed your idea of shaped charges to crimp the pipe at multiple points where it was laid over at right angles to the riser on another forum of non-drillers. Interestingly enough the only response was a sever flame coming from a member of the United Kingdom Business Association (Stuart Baird) who seemed to be a little miffed that I would criticize what BP was doing to stop the blow out.

Commentator

In reply to #26

06/11/2010 11:23 AM

It is too bad that we can't seem to apply basic research from the 1940's to today's problems (Collapsing tubes at Los Alamos). I am refering to the movie "Fat Man & Little Boy"

Anonymous Poster

05/09/2010 7:15 PM

« Reply #1057 Today at 7:18pm »

Just some hair brained questions for what they are worth:

http://drillingclub.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=wellcontrol&thread=4837&page=36#14056
What are the limitations of welding/cutting capabilities for the ROV's?
Could a fiber laser be set up topside and a fiber optic cable set up for the ROV?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber_laser
It appears the fiber laser power can be up to 50 kW. Need to determine the line losses over that much fiber optic length and whether they can cut or weld through seawater. Keyhole welding is so concentrated it may be an option.

http://wwwsoc.nii.ac.jp/aesj/publication/JNST2001/No.10/38_891-895.pdf

http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/lsj/36/APLS/36_1195/_article

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1P3-125488731.html

Commentator

05/10/2010 6:54 PM

http://drillingclub.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=wellcontrol&action=display&thread=4837&page=42

« Reply #1254

Today at 10:42pm »

Don't know if this has been suggested before. If the pipe connected to the top of the containment dome is pulling a slight vacuum could a check valve be installed at the top of the dome to purge the hydrates? Ideally the check valve should be at the highest point with the pipe to the ship at a lower location on the dome. One could reverse flow the line from the ship to blow the hydrates out the top. Pulling a vacuum would reseal the check valve. What comes to mind is an industrial duckbill valve. These valves are manufactured in very large sizes. There may also be advantages if experiencing a kick. If designed correctly, the valve should burp and reseal allowing the gas to escape.

http://www.bvsde.paho.org/bvsaidis/caliagua/peru/usacca009.pdf

Commentator

05/11/2010 6:02 PM

Here is the image of the Oil & Water centrifugal separator so you don't have to become a member of the drilling club to view it. As stated later this would likely need to be combined with other seabed systems to separate the liquid from gas emissions prior to delivery to the centrifugal separators.

From initial Thread:

Here is the concept I had for separating the water/oil mix at the sea floor and piping the separated crude up to the ship. The package of three separators should output 190,000 gallons of crude/day from 3,600,000 gallons/day of seawater/oil mix if my calculations are correct. I am leaving it to better minds to ponder.

Reply to Forum Thread 27 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (12); chrisg288 (4); garth (2); KDS (5); Mikerho (4)

Previous in Forum: British Sniper Shoots Over a Mile   Next in Forum: Substitute for ISO46 Hydraulic oil

Advertisement