Previous in Forum: Steering Problems While Driving   Next in Forum: diesel engine
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Participant

Walk Behind Forklift Stuck on Forward (Crown 30WT)

05/28/2010 1:41 AM

Just today when I disconnected the charger, our forklift has stuck on forward. Pressing the Stop button does not stop it. Turning off the key does not stop it. The Raising and lowering of the steering mechanism is the only way to stop it. I have toggled the key and even removed it. It still moves forward. I had to disconnect the battery to stop it. Plug it back in and it starts forward again. Shouldn't the key off and removed be failsafe? Is there something simple I should check? I have a multitester. Crown Walk Behind (30WTL) Kris Dahlin 310 399 4729 Kris@EandKWood.com

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: crown Forklift forward
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 781

Re: Walk Behind Forklift Stuck on Forward (Crown 30WT)

05/28/2010 2:31 AM

It sound as though the motor contacts are welded closed. Maybe a panic button and shunt-trip load switch could fix this.

Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

05/28/2010 8:31 AM

Check the belly buttom switch on the end of the handle. Some times they get stuck. It is there to keep from having the equipment pin some one against something. Sets on the handle so that in operation is about belly height. Since it is a safety item it over rides the other controls. Letting the pallet truck move in only one direction away from you. In a panic situation where the pallet truck has pinned someone against something with the handle they don't want the keys switch or the stop button to function. The belly button switch will move the pallet truck away from you. The dead man switch which engages with the tilting of the handle is with in this circuit. As the belly button switch has no need to function if the handle is up. If pinned with the handle and the pallet truck goes forward. The operater if hurt will most likely take his hands from the handle. The handle will then raise and the pallet truck will stop.

Good Answers: 60
In reply to #2

05/28/2010 11:50 AM

As ozzb says the most likely cause is the belly switch or crush switch on the tiller arm its between the handels and it works by putting the truck into forwards if operator is trapped between truck and side of container/lorry side/wall etc

Very common for the plastic cover to jam the switch even known some operators to jam it on purpose cos they dont like using it.

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #2

05/28/2010 12:45 PM

You're a genius! I disconnected the single wire from the belly switch and the forklift acts normal. I'm charging it back up to final check it. I never would have thought of the Belly switch. Thank you.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266
In reply to #4

05/28/2010 2:14 PM

Thanks but please fix the switch so that it works proper. Too many people have injured themselves backing a load up and being pinned against something with the handle. A 4000 lb load is too much to stop once it's rolling with brute strength. So something has got to give and it's not going to be the handle. At least not until it passes through you and hits something solid. The cost is no where what you will pay to have broken rib or busted spleen repaired. Then there is the pain. Even when it works properly the pain you will remember with out the internal injury. So be safe and fix it right.

Genius maybe? In this case spent a few years doing service in material handling industry. So it was an easy diagnostic with the info provided. The clincher was the deadman switch if the contacts where welded shut it would not have stop it. The deadman switch and the belly button switch were things on the safety check list upon completing any repairs. If they didn't work you were not done until they did. Or you tagged it out for non-use until repairs could be completed.

Good Answers: 35
In reply to #6

05/29/2010 9:47 AM

Good answer.

Bottom line: Tag it out as NON-OP and get a forklift technician in there to fix it.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 283
In reply to #2

05/28/2010 1:22 PM

Well done, ozzb! A Good Answer vote for you, my friend.

In reply to #2

06/02/2010 1:07 AM

Ok. The try this one: There's a shaft with the knob missing on my Exide Forklift charger. It's as old as my Crown 30WT forklift, I suppose. It can rotate thru OFF, DAILY, WEEKEND. It goes off on OFF, then I can rotate and guess maybe where it is. Where should I try to point it and for what purpose? (It only has that dial and an amp gauge that starts at 40 and descends to zero) (I apologize! I'm new at this forklift stuff.)

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 8 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

cr4jkd (2); Doorman (1); Janissaries (1); ozzb (2); peterg7lyq (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Steering Problems While Driving   Next in Forum: diesel engine

Advertisement