Previous in Forum: FRP   Next in Forum: Burned Relays
Close
Close
Close
11 comments
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 105

Hard Ball vs a Reamer

08/08/2010 6:12 PM

When can I use a hard ball to size a hole instead of using a reamer? I know balls are forced through holes to size them. Is it the hardness of the materials that govern or the degree of precision? Obviously the piece containing the hole has to be softer than either the ball or the reamer.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Power-User

Good Answers: 15

Re: Hard Ball vs a Reamer

08/08/2010 7:47 PM

Hello Ronsetto,

I have used both methods. A reamer is more conventional and in fact easier to set up and to use and very repeatable. In my case using a hard ball was not easy as it tended to wander a little and subsequently a gage pin .0002' below the diameter of the ball was not able to go thru the hole.

Hope this helps.

Good Answers: 1666

08/08/2010 8:25 PM

Broaches and hobs I know. What's the advantage of a ball? What guides it through the hole?

Register to Reply
Power-User
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Aeromarine Vehicle Engineer

Good Answers: 5

08/09/2010 7:29 AM

Usually reamer is used for closed tolerance holes. Hard Balls are used when you want to improve the fatigue properties of the hole. That is how we do it in aircraft manufacturing.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor
Netherlands - Member - New Member

In reply to #3

08/09/2010 11:04 AM

Gannet is correct,[/P]

The only reason to use hard balls or so called mushroom pins in order to reshape the hole is for introducing compressive stresses in the surface area in order to enhance the materials fatigue strength.[/P]

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 105

08/09/2010 11:56 AM

As a rule, I would go 1/64" under the final hole size when using a reamer. In other words, for a .5000 hole, I would drill a 31/32" hole. What would be the initial hole size if using a ball?

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Aeromarine Vehicle Engineer

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #5

08/09/2010 12:34 PM

I do not know what type material you are using but 1/64 on the diameter seems excessive to me. We usually ream the hole to be 0.004 undersized and then we would ballized to final. We were not sizing the hole we were cold working it to improve fatigue properties because of the cyclic shear loading it would be experiencing.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 182
In reply to #5

08/20/2010 11:52 AM

It depends on several parameters as:

- young modulus of the body in which the hole has been drilled (and even better pre reamed)

- wall thickness since if the wall is too thin (all is relative) the ball will deform par of the wall elastically and the resulting hole will be less

- the ball will deform plastically part of the wall but a small spring back is always present.

- the ball has to be as mentioned by other either wolfram carbide or ceramic if you intend to use it on steels, for soft materials and low number of operations you may use ball bearings balls.

- the lubricant is an important parameter since if its viscosity is not the right one the wall will be scratched

- I used the method for hydraulic pump elements d=1/4" and l/d about 5..6 without problems, balls from ball bearings manufacturers very well guided by a bar with a 90° cone angle I had to test several oils till it worked. The balls were used only 1 time. Piston block soft steel the scope was as well the hole calibration as the strengthening of the wall to increase its wear resistance. Results were OK.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 109

08/10/2010 4:11 AM

Hi,

we did calibrate inner diameter (12.7mm or 0.5") of bronze rings with carbide balls and oil lubrication, length of rings was near 5 mm, inside was pre-machined to 10...12µm.

The rings should perfectly match to the OD of ball-bearings - no play allowed and no radial stress on rings (shape deterioration) wanted.

Necessary besides very good cleanliness:

a. regular inspection of the balls if wear is beginning somewhere.

b. control of oil viscosity and temperature and amount applied

c. sorting the ball-bearings into µm classes

d. using different balls for the different classes

e. gaining experience about the amount of back-spring in the rings and thermal pretreatment to achieve a reproducible elastic/plastic behaviour

Today I would try Si3N4-balls first.

RHABE

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 93

08/10/2010 4:25 AM

I've used ball sizing on holes which could be 1.5m long, not easy to find a reamer that long. Ball sizing can have the advantage of burnishing the hole surface to improve finish but, as mentioned earlier, they can wander if not properly guided.

Good Answers: 1

08/10/2010 7:14 AM

Forcing the hard ball through the hole is BURNISHING. It is used only to even out the ridges & valleys or peaks and troughs of the surface of the hole. The uneven surface is formed during previous boring or drilling. No matter what process, the surface is always uneven. The degree of unevenness or roughness depends on the process. Drilling is quite rough process (H9 tolerance), reaming (H7 or H8), grinding (H6) and honing (H5). As discussed by others, reamer removes the material. But, in burnishing, there is no removal.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 57

08/10/2010 8:07 AM

Not trying to be a wise guy, but the elastic modulus of the ball material has as much to do with its effectiveness in hole sizing as its superficial hardness. A low modulus ball will deform as it is pushed through the hole, while a high modulus ball will exert higher force on the hole wall.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 11 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

2tinker (1); Gannet (2); hpi001 (1); lyn (1); nick name (1); Nigh (1); nitin47 (1); RHABE (1); ronseto (1); welderman (1)

Previous in Forum: FRP   Next in Forum: Burned Relays
You might be interested in: Hard Drives, Ball Bearings, PCMCIA Hard Drive Cards

Advertisement