Previous in Forum: How to Separate a Soundtrack/Melody   Next in Forum: Lead Acid Battery
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Anonymous Poster

Cancellation of Steam Boiler Tests

08/11/2010 4:06 PM

Could you please give me your views on the cancellation of daily steam boiler tests.

I am working in a hospital running 2 steam boilers that are unmanned. The steam that they produce is used for the sterilisers. It is a legal requirement that they should be tested every day. and the types of tests differ from day to day. These tests can take from 1.5 hours to 3hours per day.

My manager has told me that If he wants me to go out on site doing other work whilst in the middle of doing these steam tests that i should leave them and do as he wants.

This would invalidate the tests that are in progress and they will need to be started from the beginning again to comply with the legal requirements.

the manager is under the impression that these tests can be carried out at any time.

As I am the appointed person for this boiler house and if these tests are not carried out I am the one that would be responsible for not complying with this legal requirement. Not to mention the steam quality.

Do any of you have suggestions as to how i can tackle this situation.

thank you.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Anonymous Poster

Re: Cancellation of Steam Boiler Tests

08/11/2010 6:44 PM

Have you presented the manager with the legal requirements, which presumably spell out the presence of someone during a test?

Anonymous Poster

08/12/2010 7:32 AM

You do not state where you are, but in every country in which I have worked their is a state/government inspection authority governing fired pressure vessels. Ask this authority to view your records and procedures and to rule on your duties.

Might not make you popular with your boss, but will cover you from a legal perspective if things go wrong.

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #2

08/12/2010 12:01 PM

I am in the UK. The company that i work for is a contractor to the hospital. This company has only just taken over the site within the last month. So as such i am a new employee as is the management.

In this short space of time we have had 3 managers. current permanent manager ( the manager that wants to change the boiler testing system who has only been with us for a week). who answers to an area manager that only comes in once a week.

This contract is starting from scratch. But the boiler have been on site for over 5 years. ( all of the staff that looked after these boiler are no longer available).

But yes they kept a daily record log.

Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 781
In reply to #3

08/13/2010 1:41 AM

In the UK you might or might not know of "Dilbert," the Scott Adams comic strip. I do not envy your having to deal with a succession of pointy-haired bosses. It sounds as though the Peter Principle is alive and well over there, too.

In reply to #4

08/14/2010 9:59 AM

Where have all the guru's and managers gone now. They do not seem to be able to advise me in this situation?.

The company that i work for is supposed to be the 3rd largest in America and Europe so it is more than likely that Dilbert is part of our company, that has managers crawling out of the woodwork. (I do not know where they keep finding them from at such short notice).

So don't laugh this might be happening in your own country.

Reply to Forum Thread 5 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: How to Separate a Soundtrack/Melody   Next in Forum: Lead Acid Battery

Advertisement