Previous in Forum: All Thread What is Grade 12   Next in Forum: Cancellation of Steam Boiler Tests
Close
Close
Close
16 comments

How to Separate a Soundtrack/Melody

08/11/2010 9:59 AM

Can anyone help me how I can separate a soundtrack ( so only the melody is clear) and not song or backing-group.

Thanking you in advance.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 36

Re: how to seperate a soundtrack /melody

08/11/2010 10:07 AM

Voices have a distinct range of frequency. You can try making a band-stop filter or a notch filter and pick cutoff frequencies at either end of the voice frequency range. For additional information on filters, check out my blog on filters. I also go through how to calculate cutoff frequencies. There are definitely external sources of information in addition to the blogs that I have written, try googling for the voice frequency range.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer

In reply to #1

08/11/2010 10:26 AM

Dear Jaxy,

First many thanks for your information-but I think its a bit to technical for me ,

(I´m not proff. in that sence) ,I was lokking for a "easy" way to seperate the melody from the backinggrup and voices ,

Melody is : Shake- from Sisters Act 13:

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 36
In reply to #2

08/11/2010 10:37 AM

If you are looking for a software (or premade hardware) approach rather that a diy hardware one, I can't help you.

Your best bet is to try to find software that can help separate the two.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Power-User

Good Answers: 32
In reply to #2

08/11/2010 12:03 PM

Find someone with a "Karaoke" or a "voice-killer" device. Often the various parts of the song are panned to different locations in the stereo field and can be almost (but not quite) eliminated. That and some EQ'ing, as mentioned above, should get you close. PS... Many home musicians / home studios would have some sort of voice-killer device. Ask. Success

Good Answers: 93
In reply to #2

08/11/2010 10:53 PM

Hey Sven-Erik Boots, it takes what it takes and costs what it costs. If this place is too technical for you, so be it, go somewhere else. Some many things are simply just not that easy.

What exactly are we supposed to tell you? Are we supposed to tell you that you can get quality sound recording without knowing what types of microphones to use, where to put them, and what programs now are used by professionals, who still have to know the difference between a Cardiod, Ommni, or Directional Microphone, and pay good money for Pro Tools as in the past we worked with two inch tape, after 1 inch wasn't good enough? Stevie Wonder recorded on videotape by the way.

I myself actually had my ears tested.

Oh my God! I did it! -Go to the Amateur areas of the web! Don't come here with insults to professionals who may well want to help you, but get cranky with people who want everything to be given to them, and all things to be "easy" regardless of the fact that no matter what you do, you need to know quality in all pursuits requires work.

In reply to #9

08/12/2010 7:06 AM

Your a very nice man, very, very nice.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 3)
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #9

08/15/2010 7:03 PM

Transcendian, why are you so angry?

Register to Reply

In reply to #1

08/13/2010 3:50 AM

Again ,thanks to your all for take the time and effort to find a solution for me,

I will try to work me hrough all the fine answer, and be back

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

Re: How to Separate a Soundtrack/Melody

08/11/2010 11:15 AM

What is the medium? If it's taped with multichannel recorder you may be able to isolate that track and mute it.

If it's disc, then you'll have to do it electronically.

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467

08/11/2010 11:57 AM

Try searching for "karaoke filter". Here's something I came up with for Audacity - you may need to do a bit of trial-and-error, but you should get an acceptable result. Also see here.

There are many other hits from the suggested google search - some for freeware, some you pay for.

Oh, for anyone who hasn't met it, Audacity is an excellent free piece of "sound studio" type software.

Anonymous Poster

08/11/2010 5:50 PM

Years ago, a friend of mine asked me to build her something to use her Discman (remember those?) on her desktop to listen music at low volume, and said mono-aural was Ok.

I quickly found a small speaker and the appropiate hardware to canceal it. But it happens that inadvertently, I made a bad connection (used R channel instead of common), thus having the speaker connected from L to R; when I tried it, I heard the instruments, but not the voice of the singer . I took my scope and checked both audio channels, saved both wave forms and found that, among the audio signals, there were two identical frequencies on both channels (the voice) except that they were of opposite amplitude, thus cancelling each other accross the speaker. I took advantage of this and went all happy to my voluptuous, but soooo sweet friend, and told her I put a "karaoke" switch as a plus to her gadget. Oh, man ! we already liked each other, but this granted me "special considerations" by this lovely and intelligent young lady.

Yahlasit

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - New Member Australia - Member - Torn and breading Engineering Fields - Nanoengineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 74

08/11/2010 7:41 PM

Ask a musician to do it for you in real time. Just tell him/her what you want and if he/she is worth his trade he/she should be able to do it using an instrument of your choice or combination's thereof.

Musicians? They guys that do it with there hands, yep, that's them!!

Active Contributor

Good Answers: 1

08/12/2010 12:10 AM

If your audio is on your Windows (specifically Windows 7 or Vista) computer, and you're not fussy about the sound, then

1. Start menu > Control Panel > Sound

2. On Sound window, select Speakers, then click Properties button

3. On the Speakers Properties window, select the Enhancements tab

4. Enable the checkbox "Voice Cancellation"

May also work in Windows XP, and Mac may have similar function.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Power-User
Australia - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 22

08/12/2010 12:22 AM

Buy the backing track, or as stated above, pay a friend to play it & record the track.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Associate

Good Answers: 2

08/12/2010 9:10 AM

Id go with ed's suggestion first then probably approach a pro.

Good Answers: 70

08/12/2010 2:17 PM

The trick here (as several of the posts have stated) is to combine the left channel and right channel out-of-phase. This means reversing the polarity of one channel. The result is that any signal that is in both channels (as is usually the case with the vocal track) will be eliminated by phase cancellation, and only the signals that are mostly on one track or the other will remain. I think this is what you are looking for.

If you then combine this signal (again reversing the polarity) with the original, the instruments will (mostly) cancel out, leaving (mostly) the voice. Or you could hire some musicians.

This phase cancellation works pretty well. The Grateful Dead used it in live performances. Each singer had two microphones mounted side by side about a foot or so apart. The singer would sing into one microphone, but both would pick up the sound of the instruments coming from behind. The microphones were wired together out-of-phase, so the instruments were (mostly) cancelled out, resulting in a much cleaner sound.

Register to Reply 16 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (3); Ed A (1); Jaxy (2); JohnDG (1); johnfotl (1); kendall (1); ky (1); Lancoz (1); lyn (1); OldTechNewToys (1); Sven-Erik Boots (2); Transcendian (1)

Previous in Forum: All Thread What is Grade 12   Next in Forum: Cancellation of Steam Boiler Tests

Advertisement