Previous in Forum: Electrical Engg. question   Next in Forum: Nicad Charging, Cuttoff Circuit for Large Pack
Close
Close
Close
25 comments

8 Pin Relay -How to Wire it

08/21/2010 1:13 PM

I'm a novice and have an existing 110VAC 8 Pin DPDT Normally Closed Cube Relay Model #275-0217 w/ 275-220 socket by Radio Shack.

I will supply power to the relay with a 110VAC Photo Cell and need to power a 110VAC Water pump. Need to know in depth how to wire the relay, In other words which wire goes to which pins on the input side and which wire goes to the output pins. I can wire the Photocell, it has very clear instructions on it. (White to White and also will go to relay), (Black to Black into photocell), (Red coming out of Photocell will go to relay). White and Red will supply power to relay.

Thanks in advance.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Relay
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 180

Re: 8 Pin Relay -How to wire it

08/21/2010 1:27 PM

2 & 7 coil

1 & 3NO or 4NC

8 & 6NO or 5NC

Why didn't you look on the RadioShack site?

Ii will also be printed on the relay

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467
In reply to #1

08/21/2010 2:04 PM

Far as I can tell, the Radio Shack site doesn't give the pinout.

I assume it's like this:

(relay shown de-energized).

I don't know how the numbering goes on the base (RS doesn't list that either).

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #1

08/22/2010 7:55 PM

Whoa, there, TonyS.

Get that effing great chip off your shoulder[1] - read the OP, check out the references and stop talking sh*t.

You have quoted the pin-out according to IEC 67-I-5B (a European standard, among others). This applies to an octal base type relay - NOT the relay which was very accurately cited by the OP (novicearc), but which you didn't bother to look up, because ... (I could add "You were too smart", "you already knew the answer", "you didn't realize that things had changed in the last 35 years") ... ?

Wake up and smell the coffee (as I believe they say in the US).

[1] "TonyS got his terminal numbering from Google, the numbering hasn't changed for the last 35 years, it's been added to by our euopean friends (NOT)"

Re: 8 Pin Relay -How to Wire it

08/21/2010 5:06 PM

RS bases are printed with both annotations

08/21/2010 11:16 PM

Use a continuity teester to check the:

1. coil (use 1000 ohm scale)

2. NC contacts (take notes and draw pin diagram)

energize the relay

check the NO contacts. You'llo get two sets of readings. on each pair of readings, there will be a "common" teminal.

Now, for the 64,000 dollar question: Where did you get a 110VAC photocell?

Register to Reply
Guru

08/22/2010 4:31 AM

And now, for the 128,000 dollar question, why do you want a photocell to control a water pump?

Good Answers: 10
In reply to #5

08/22/2010 6:08 AM

I can only surmise that he is using a dusk till dawn sensor to either shut off the pump overnight or visa versa, either way I don't see the need for a DPDT relay when a SPDT would suffice. I have some 20 different relays & they are all marked the same as I've set out below so I don't know where TonyS: got his numbering from. If "novicarc" is using dusk till dawn sensor you might want to think about using a starter box, these have a coil that engages the contacts, these keep a lot cooler than small relays.

If any ones interested I have a huge quantity of electronic components that are for sale, if you are,Email me:- barrful@hotmail.co.uk or barry@poletopoleelectronics.co

Bazzer.

08/22/2010 5:27 AM

First understand it, the terminals marked A1-A2 are the operating coil,the coil can be 12volt,24volt,110volt or if its a special built job any voltage thats specified, so make sure of the voltage first, of the other six terminals (which are together at one end),the middle two are the power in live/neutral,it doesn't matter which way round as long as you keep all the live cables to one side and all the neutrals to the other,on the majority of relays the two terminals closest to the coil terminals (A1-A2),are the normally closed (NC)terminals Marked 3 7 or 22 12, with no power to the coil but power to the middle terminals Marked 8 4 or 21 11 you will have power to 3 7, you can put a tester between terminals 7&8 with the relay on the bench & no power connected to confirm this, the last two terminals Marked 5 2 or 24 14 are normally open (NO), these are only live when power is applied to the coil,OK? to sum up,

:- coil live/neutral,terminals A1 - A2,

permanent live/neutral,terminals 8 & 4,

NC terminals live/neutral 7 & 3,

NO terminals live/neutral 5 & 2,

Good Answers: 6

08/22/2010 7:10 AM

Sample pinouts below, Pin # markings may differ.

Register to Reply
Guru

08/22/2010 9:23 AM

TonyS got his terminal numbering from Google, the numbering hasn't changed for the last 35 years, it's been added to by our euopean friends (NOT)

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Location: California, USA, where the Godless live next door to God.
Good Answers: 796

08/22/2010 3:51 PM

An 8 pin Radio Shack relay has about a 99% chance of being an Octal socket, i.e. round. The pin-outs should be printed one the side of the relay, but every octal base relay is the same: Pins 2 and 7 will be the coil, 1, 3 and 4 are one of the DT contacts with 1 as Common, 3 as NO and 4 as NC; 8, 6 and 5 are the other set respectively.

So wire your photocell to pin 7, the neutral to pin 2 (convention, but it really doesn't matter) then wire your pump power to 1 and 3, neutral to neutral.

In reply to #10

08/23/2010 5:53 AM

If as you say that they have an octal base then they plug into a base which have the same numbering as I've laid out previously.

Bazzer

In reply to #14

08/23/2010 6:00 AM
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

In reply to #15

08/23/2010 12:30 PM

Interesting. At my local RS, they don't have any of the relays shown in their on-line store (but you can order them). All (both) of the relays in my local store are octal base, and they don't show those on-line.

Good Answers: 18

08/22/2010 5:29 PM

Jraef, there's always that 1%, huh?

If the Radio Shack relay is actually like its photo (not a given, by any means),

then it's not likely to fit an octal socket.

I couldn't find a pinout for the relay or the socket on RS site. How convenient!

But it does appear that the top of the relay is labeled.

And one might guess that the bottom pair of terminals is the coil, and each row of 3 terminals is one set of contacts. Which is NO or NC? Hmmmm.

Register to Reply

08/22/2010 7:01 PM

Thanks to all for the reply's and the help. U All R da guys! OOHRAH, Semper FI GENTLEMEN.

First R/S did not have any wiring info, therefore the question. The 8 pin relay is the only one that I found that was N/C and inexpensive. I was looking for a 4 Pin N/C buy no luck. The relay is square as looking from top view / side view rect. I am using a dusk to dawn photo cell. And the pump is on a bird bath. The wife is tried of messing with the plug in cord. Thus the project, how lucky can I get. I will add more info to any other questions that I may post in the future.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

08/23/2010 6:03 AM

If thats all it's powering forget the relay use the dusk till dawn as a switch, put the neutral to the pump & take the live to the D t D switch & back to the pump so when it makes a circuit the pump will start, Just put an isolator on the cable where you pick it up from or if it's on a plug that will do.

Bazzer

In reply to #12

08/23/2010 6:18 AM

Bazzer could have a good point there. Can you post details of your light operated switch?

In reply to #17

08/23/2010 12:33 PM

... and the pump, while you're at it.

In reply to #17

08/23/2010 5:53 PM

What Bazzer said. Would'nt that make the pump come on at night?

If not, please let me know and I"ll wire the front bird bath that way and see which last longer, with or without relay.

The pump motor is 1/16HP.

The photo cell is a UTILITECH #005679.

Instructions as shown on package below; Also see sketch below, just ignor the comas. Need them to keep the lines in place.

It assumes a light is been turned on.

1. White from photo cell ties into White from input line and goes thru to light.

2. Black from photo cell to black input line.

3. Red from photo cell to black on light.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Photo Cell
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,[__________]
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,B|,,,W|,,,,R|,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ______
,,,,,,,,,Black,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,|,,,,,|,,,,,,|____________|,,,,,,,,|
____________________|,,,,,|,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,|,,,,,,,,,|
________________________|________________|,,,,,,,,,,|
,,,,,,,,,White,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,|______|
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Light

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #23

08/23/2010 7:16 PM

Here's the circuit:

It's shown with light on, so the photocell switch is open, relay de-energized.

Afraid I couldn't find data on the photocell from the Utilitech site (or anywhere else!), but it should be OK.

I hope you can work out the relay pins numbers, either from what's on the relay & base, or from the suggestions in the thread.

Good Answers: 6

08/23/2010 6:25 AM

Why not try RS components or Farnell.

They have a vast range of collection of Electronic components & Data Sheets

Register to Reply
Guru

08/23/2010 1:31 PM

OK, now that people better than I have pointed out that this is NOT an octal base relay,unfortunately you now have two possibilities of "standard" wiring diagrams. In both of them, the coil terminals are the two that are oriented 90deg from the others. The terminal numbers of those two, which will be embedded in the plastic mold of the base, will determine the terminal numbers of the others:

First is Coil terminals labeled 13 and 14. In that version, NO are 9 & 5 or 12 and 8, NC are 9 and 1 or 12 and 4.

Second style would have the coils labeled 7 and 8. In that case, NO are 5 & 3 or 6 and 4, NC are 5 and 1 or 6 and 2.

Assuming you have a standard outdoor lighting photo switch, they are "Operate on Dark" so they will have a NO contact that is closed when there is insufficient light. Here is a very typical manual for one. What YOU want is the opposite logic; you want the fountain pump to CEASE operating when the light fails. So you want to wire the relay coil hot (one side) to the photo eye output (typically the RED wire), then you want to wire one side of the pump power to a NC set of contacts on the relay according to the above. Tie all the neutrals together. So with full daylight, the photo eye is off, the relay is off so the contacts are closed and the pump is running. At sundown, the photo eye energizes, the relay energizes, the contacts change state to open and the pump is off.

Don't run the pump directly from the photo eye. Some of those are solid state contacts, not relays and the inrush of starting a pump motor will fry them. The relay is cheap and if/when it fries, you unplug it and plug in a new one. Relay contacts like that typically carry a HP switching rating of about 1/3HP at 120V, I seriously doubt your bird bath pump is more than 1/16HP.

08/23/2010 1:54 PM

For about $20 you can purchase a photocell stake unit designed for outdoor lighting. Check out www.homedepot.com dm MFG Brand Name : GE MFG Model # : 15137

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Participant

08/30/2017 2:56 AM

You didn't think and study in your whole life dude.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 6)
Register to Reply 25 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Bazzer Englander (4); Bud (1); danmessina (1); Haajee (2); JohnDG (6); JRaef (3); novicearc (2); Robert Sollano Sepanton (1); TonyS (4)

Previous in Forum: Electrical Engg. question   Next in Forum: Nicad Charging, Cuttoff Circuit for Large Pack

Advertisement