Close
Close
Close
4 comments
Associate

Good Answers: 5

Options for Thermoplastic Material Project

08/22/2010 6:30 AM

I have a project where I require a thermoplastic, which must have good to very good thermal resistance, impact, elastic and durability characteristics in addition to small to large production injection or blow moulding properties.

Is there anyone within the forum that could provide any constructive and useful practical advice or possible links to technical sites or publications that may be of assistance in this project?

"Begin with the end in mind." -- Stephen Covey

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Environmental Engineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 101

Re: Options for Thermoplastic Material Project

08/23/2010 9:53 AM

Thermoplastics are designed to deform when heated, so please specify your required temperature range. Also, most thermoplastics are quite brittle, so please provide details as to required impact resistance etc.

What exactly do you want to do anyway? If you can provide the details of your project we may be able to suggest suitable materials for your use.

In reply to #1

08/23/2010 10:19 AM

Thanks for your response. I am fully aware of the issues you refer to, and in many respects this applies to any material, whether it be steel, aluminium, plastic or carbon-fibre.

In answer to your question, the anticipated heat differential will be 12 degrees below freezing and boiling point of water (H2O).

The application is industrial and is inrespect to something to be worn by a laboratory technician (though toxic contact is not specified within the requirement) in the form of a protective garment.

The impact resistance would effectively be determined simply as the objects own weight (less than 70grams) being dropped from around 3 metres.

Flexibility would be required to be roughly 5 per cent deflection over maximum length of item under ambient temperature conditions.

I can furnish more information if you require; I appreciate that simple details are not usually enough, but due to the confidentiality agreement for the project, unfortunately I cannot be too detailed. Nonetheless, some idea of the best thermosplastic materials may be determinable from such a moderate amount of information, if only by elimination of certain materials that clearly have no capacity for thermal variation without losing some strength, durability and pliability.

Hope this helps.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -- Mark Twain

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1666

08/23/2010 2:15 PM

Sounds like polycarbonate or an alloy of PC and acrylic will fill the bill.

Contact any resin manufacturer for cost and delivery and suitability.

I used it as a case for noise cancelling headsets that housed a battery and the SMT cancellation circuit.

Our test was 1 meter onto solid concrete on every axis and corner. No problems. The cases lasted longer than the company did.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Associate

In reply to #3

08/24/2010 2:23 AM

Thank you for your comments, I will indeed follow these options up.

Often equipment lasts longer than the company that uses them particularly in these hard times.

Again thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Register to Reply 4 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

apexmaster (2); DVader1000 (1); lyn (1)

Previous in Forum: Creating P.M.S   Next in Forum: Carbon Emissions

Advertisement