Previous in Forum: At Last Progress for Power Cells   Next in Forum: Relay Use for SCADA Interface with Circuit Breakers
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Anonymous Poster

Permanent Magnet Based Generator

08/24/2010 11:19 AM

frends,

i want to design a permanent magnet based generator which should get energised by itself after initial start.

one way is to select a high capacity permanent magnet based generator which consumes diesel and run itself.second way is instead of a fuel battery is used to energise the rotor (permanenet magnet based)and it starts rotating using an external dc motor connected by battery.then the generator must produce so much energy that it starts supplying it to the same motor which had initially used battery to run the rotor.and whatever is the surplus electricity produced will be used for household activities.

thank you

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194

Re: Permanent Magnet Based Generator

08/24/2010 11:27 AM

Good Answers: 2

08/24/2010 12:26 PM

Some generators already have a permanent magnet to power excitation, its needed for fault clearing (Breaker Tripping) on higher quality gensets

Anonymous Poster

08/24/2010 1:02 PM

You'd be better off attaching wires directly to the permanent magnet and siphoning off its electricity. Save money and don't use the rotor, battery, motor, etc. - the result is exactly the same in the end.

Guru

Good Answers: 182

08/24/2010 3:29 PM

Good luck to make a revolution in physics: power from nothing!

Better take a degree in physics to understand the IMPOSSIBILITY to do it.

Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467

08/24/2010 4:10 PM

Deja vu, all over again. I guess we will just do this thread or something similar every week. What fun!

I wish someone would just build one that works, so I can get off the grid.

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Location: California, USA, where the Godless live next door to God.
Good Answers: 796

08/24/2010 8:56 PM

Ahhh... memories.

I asked this question of my Dad when I was in fifth grade. Instead of answering it for me, he challenged me to make one and prove it. I did so with small motors from my erector set (which as it turned out were indeed PM motors) and D-cell batteries because I had already learned (the hard way) that motors can become generators. When it failed to work, he made me try to learn why. The explanation resulted in a school Science Fair project explaining conservation of energy and why perpetual motion cannot work for which I won first prize. That by the way sparked my lifelong interest in electricity and motors!

In reply to #6

08/25/2010 1:12 AM

I hope the Industrial Applicaion of the concept is 'BRUSH LESS EXCITATION'.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 822

08/25/2010 2:18 AM

This is always worth a look when designing this sort of machine.

United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 180
In reply to #8

08/25/2010 12:41 PM

That's a brilliant site

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); biswanath.das (1); JRaef (1); kramarat (1); Mikerho (1); nick name (1); norton850 (1); PWSlack (1); TonyS (1)

Previous in Forum: At Last Progress for Power Cells   Next in Forum: Relay Use for SCADA Interface with Circuit Breakers

Advertisement