Previous in Forum: Grants proposal process   Next in Forum: Wastewater Stream Foam Removal
Close
Close
Close
22 comments
Participant

Welding Certification

09/22/2010 8:50 PM

My husband has been stick and mig welding for four years, I understand that everything that comes with a certificate has to come with schooling. My father in law has got a job that has to be started these next couple of weeks, with certified welders. Is there anyway around taking the classes and just paying to take the test?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

Re: Welding Certification

09/22/2010 11:25 PM

Ummmm. No. Not ethically, unless there is a specific provision allowing him to use his experience in lieu of the class work for that particular certification.

Wouldn't his father have the answer? He's got to accept the ultimate responsibility.

It probably matters if it's an airframe or a muffler, too.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 16

09/23/2010 5:35 AM

Yes. In the case of welding certification you may do this.

I am telling you this from personal experience as this is what I have done. I had done this in Maryland, USA while working for a small marine towing (tug boat) company. My certifications AWS and are also endorsed by ABS (American Bureau of Shipping).

If memory serves me correct, I needed the company I was working for at the time to solicit the testing to be done.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Hearts of Oak Popular Science - Paleontology - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 75
In reply to #2

09/24/2010 5:53 AM

Works the same over here. Coded welders are subject to periodic retesting, and it's in the interest of the employers to have them pass (in the case of direct employees). Self-employed welders make sure they keep up to standard.

Good Answers: 7

09/23/2010 6:52 AM

Tim is correct, schooling is not necessary. He need only pass the welding test according to the procedures of the required certification as put forth by the classification society or organization, and tested at a facility that is recognized or authorized by that society.

09/23/2010 7:14 AM

bduncan

http://www.aws.org

If the link doesn't work, you can also call AWS @ 800-443-WELD extension 273 to find an authorized testing facility near you.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Participant

In reply to #4

09/23/2010 9:50 PM

Thank you Tim, your a lot of help. I really appreciate it

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #6

09/24/2010 3:10 AM

You may also like to have a look here

http://www.aws.org/w/a/certification/CW/

The Certified Welder program is a performance-based program with no prerequisite courses or certifications required. Final certification will provide "transferrable" credentials that you may take with you wherever you go.

UD15

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

09/25/2010 8:17 AM

So tell us, have you contacted the AWS testing facility in your area?

I took for granted you were in the states, but there are also facilities listed abroad in the links I had provided.

Register to Reply
Power-User
United States - Member - American all the way Hobbies - Target Shooting - Aint nuthin like killing an innocent soup can!!!

Good Answers: 10

09/23/2010 12:46 PM

Sorry,

If he hasn't taken any classes, after 4 years, he most likely does not hold the skills required for the job or the tests. My father was a military welding instructor during The Vietnam Conflict then a farmer afterwards. He ran me through many drills on welding and I had lots of practice on machinery around the farm. At age 25, I was not able to pass the cert tests without actually completing a refresher course because my skills not my knowledge were not up to par.

Good Answers: 35
In reply to #5

09/24/2010 10:38 AM

Hogwash.

Even positions that they require a college degree can be done by someone without a degree, the degree is only a screening tool.

When performing underwater pressure welding or welding heaving machinery or work for a union that's one thing. It doesn't mean someone with only on the job training can't do it. Practical experience carries more weight in knowing what you are doing than coming directly from a classroom.

There are a lot of uncertified welders making a better living than the certified welders. Their knowledge and experience is no different, however they're not paying extra fees that come to having a certification and there is no legal obligation to have certification.

Good Answers: 63
In reply to #11

09/24/2010 12:19 PM

Except in some construction, while not strictly legally mandated it can still be required that welding be conducted by certified welders and certifications be demonstatable to inspectors in-field upon request as a legal obligation under contract. As such, in some positions, possibly because of such contractual requirements, the employee is obliged to have certification for employment, which would be a legal obligation under their employment agreements. Obviously, such strict construction standards are atypical of some industries, housing development, some small business industries, agriculture in particular. However, many larger petroleum corporations always require it. Having a certified welder provides some risk mitigation for future liabilities, the contractor and the owner can show documentation that they employed the proper standard of care as a minimum.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

09/24/2010 3:13 PM

I know that. My response above was in response to the guy that says that someone welding for four years and not ever taking any classes couldn't have any skill. That's why my response was "Hogwash." Essentially saying because I have a BSBA doesn't make me any smarter or more knowledgable than someone without a college degree. The company I work for has a General Manager and a Production Manager that rose up throught the ranks from the Fabrication shop. We manufacture and assemble machines that are larger than a train engine and as long as three box cars, and we install them and we are a global company. Some people have the attitude that because they don't have college degrees they couldn't possibly be able to do that.

In reply to #14

09/24/2010 4:49 PM

But he didn't say anything about going to college to learn to weld. Besides what is a BSBA, doesn't soundlike a technical degree in mechanical, materials or industrial engineering, which would contain component educational training in the nature of materials and related welding processes. He ws talking about taking a training course to prepare for the certification exam, which is probably helpful.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

09/24/2010 5:07 PM

We have up to 5 welders. Only one has certification. The rest are on the job trained. The only time we've had any structural failure of our machines was having some of the welds fail while the machines were in transit on a truck. The person responsible for the welds was the one person that was certified. Some of his welds actually missed the joints.

I just used getting a college degree as an example. My point is he's wrong in his statement that after 4 years without taking a class a person couldn't have any skill.

BSBA is my degree with my primary concentration in Project Management which included Quality Control.

In reply to #16

09/24/2010 5:48 PM

I meant what does BSBA the acronym stand for?

As far as a welder not welding correctly once he is educated properly, well that says more about lazy and unattentive he is at work, and/or something about the complexity of the work he may be involved in as compared to others (in most general cases probably the first). The point about passing the certification exam is valid, they test people on more than the routine mundane day to day work activities, and expect some greater breadth and depth of knowledge than they may ever experience again. So while it is possible to study at home, it is far easier to take a class, though admittedly still possible. A good place to see this as a comparison, using your analogy for 4 year degrees, is to look at the passing rates for the EIT or PE exams, since it is not necessary to have a degeree to obtain a PE license. The State board keeps records on the academic background of those attempting the EIT which is the first exam in the process, including those in sciences, ABET programs, without degrees and 2-year degrees. You might be surprised how much help a degree is in obtaining licensure, just the added knowledge base effect on performance.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #17

09/24/2010 6:20 PM

Bachelors of Science in Business Administration.

In reply to #18

09/24/2010 6:27 PM

LOL

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #19

09/27/2010 10:45 AM

You laugh. While I was getting my degree, I had already been working in the Fabrication Department of the company I was working for, I did 5 years as a fabricator and a few years as the Quality Control Supervisor and now I'm Safety Manager for the same company and I do all the data processing and proofing for the work the engineers produce. Before that I was erecting Metal Buildings.

Safety - ESD - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - Amateur Astronomer Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Writer India - Member - Regular CR4 participant Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 31

09/24/2010 12:24 AM

It is not clear from your profile from which country you are.

But, let me give some information which is accepted in EU countries at least.

EU countries has passed many directives for getting the product CE marked. Without CE mark almost no product is allowed to be sold in EU countries (there are some exceptions). From almost 26 or 29 (I do not remember exact number) one very important directive is Pressure equipment directive (PED). This is drafted for assuring the human safety against failure of any product which has pressure beyond 0.5 bar inside. Thus we may say it is applicable to almost all pressure bearing equipment. In these equipment normally some weld joints will be there.

Besides, many other standards requirements for material to be used, welding procedures, design rules etc. (which we are not going to discuss here as your post is only regarding welder), there is set of standards under which welder has to comply. The set of standards for welder's qualification are there. It is EN ISO 9606-X, EN 287, etc. The applicable standard depends upon the type of welding, material to be welded etc. Also there are standards for tests of welded joints.

If a welder qualifies according to applicable standard, and the weld joints he makes qualifies according to applicable standards, he will be certified as PED approved welder. These certification is done by many notified bodies like any TUV, and training courses for the qualification are conducted by many organisations / individuals qualified as level 3 (let us not go in these details what is level 3)

The schooling is not necessary.

All the best for you in your efforts for your husband, and your husband for qualifying the welder qualifications.

Register to Reply

09/24/2010 9:05 AM

Alltech Inspection Corpus Christi Texas, 361-289-1138.

If you are anywhere close to us we can help. We are a independent facility that test welders (WPQ), qualifies procedures (WPS, PQR) and more. IN SHORT: Most codes require that a welder re-test every 6 months, when he/she has not been current with a given process, or changes employer. There is a wide variety of test that can be taken depending on the applicable code, process, material to be welded, thickness requirements, ect. The welder or weld operator must be proficient to pass typical destructive and nondestructive testing. Typically (if I am understanding correctly) your husband would not have to take classes but pass the required welder performance test. Paying, but not testing is not a option, which could lead to a disaster and legal consequences.

Rick Peel

09/24/2010 2:56 PM

why don't your company hire a licensed welder just for this djob.

Good Answers: 18

09/25/2010 3:19 AM

Schooling is not mandatory for a welder certification. The said welder with his past experience (within a reasonable lapse time in case he was not in touch with practical welding) has to prove his skill and he prepares one or more test specimens following the written procedure ( i.e., an approved WPS/PQR) in every detail.

The welded specimen could require non destructive and (or) destructive testing where actual requirements are based upon the applicable code. The standards of acceptability for evaluating the test coupons are based on either code requirements or company standards.

Welder qualification is the demonstration of a welder's ability to produce welds meeting prescribed standards. the actual standards of performance and weld quality vary from code to code or company Quality Manual.

Welder certification means verification in writing that a welder has produced welds meeting prescribed standards. This implies that, a person has witnessed the preparation of a test weld, has conducted the prescribed testing and record the results in accordance with prescribed acceptance standards.

A certification does not necessarily mean qualification to a specific welding code. It could be based on qualifying to code requirement, a company standard or even to an educational standard such as a high school certificate.

To conclude, Qualified people with demonstrative skill and ability will significantly contribute to weld quality and the efficiency of welding operations. educational qualification or schooling is not a criteria.

Sridhar.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); bduncan (1); English Rose (1); farmatt (1); gsuhas (1); guds777 (1); Janissaries (5); lyn (1); mareng (1); RCE (4); Richard Peel (1); SRIDHAR (1); Tim in Mexico (3)

Previous in Forum: Grants proposal process   Next in Forum: Wastewater Stream Foam Removal

Advertisement