Previous in Forum: Egg Pasteurization   Next in Forum: Particular Standard for High Voltage Test and Insulation Resistance Test
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Active Contributor

Inspection of Medical Lab

10/22/2010 12:02 PM

Hi all I am inspecting a medical lab building. The building contains several labs plus admin section. What are the risks issues I should look for and check to make sure that they are complying with the standards and codes. My concern will be the engineering aspect not medical or health risks Thanks

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: inspection Laboratory Risk
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 282

Re: Inspection of medical lab

10/22/2010 12:21 PM

Hello duraidali.

Is it within your current scope of responsibility to review and issue citations for non-compliance with standards and codes regarding the "engineering aspects" of these facilities?

These "engineering aspects"... such as number of parking spaces provided, number of toilet stalls provided, illumination (including emergency lighting), solid waste management systems, exit door and corridor configuration, evacuation plan... please explain further the overall scope of your inspection responsibilities.

Good Answers: 1662

10/22/2010 12:25 PM

Why would you take a job about which you know nothing? Isn't there some risk involved if you make an error in judgement?

I'd think you should, as you have stated, "check to make sure that they are complying with the standards and codes."

Good luck.

Oops, stepped on someone's toes.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Anonymous Poster

10/22/2010 12:28 PM

Hello Doorman,

thanks for your reply, my resiponsibilities is the internal and extarnal risks which may affect the operation. The owner concern is this facility should remain function 24/7 and comply with codes and standards. Some of the risks which I need to identify are;

1- Is there a -ve pressure system in the lap area?

2- Is there seperate HVAC system for the labs and office section

3- Is there adquate backup electrical na d HVAc system in place

I will apreciate if you can highlight other area of concern

Thanks

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 282
In reply to #3

10/22/2010 2:20 PM

Is this a 'friendy' inspection? That is to say, the inspections and reports are requested by the facility, and will not result in fines/citations/penalties. The reports are for the eventual purpose of confirming compliance, and to identify where upgrades are required or advisable.

If yes, the facility engineers, electricians, plumbers, painters, carpenters, etc. can be a great help, and you can (probably) get their input. As-built drawings, service and maintenance records, previous inspection reports, equipment lists and equipment documentation (this is pretty important) can all be useful. These should all be readily available if it is a friendly inspection.

These together with thorough knowledge of the codes in force should result in an accurate representation of the systems in place, and their compliance.

The MINIMUMS for internal and external risks are considered within the model codes. For example, I cannot recall an inspector saying anything like "Your standby generator is too large, swap it for a smaller one", or "You have too many fire annunciators and detectors, remove some of them".

In closing, I will echo lynlynch and ask, are you truly prepared for this task?

Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 23

Re: Inspection of Medical Lab

10/23/2010 1:34 AM

This thread inquiry should have been originally posted on the BioMech & BioMed section CR4 Discussion page - Admin; what gives?

Please retain the 'General Section' of CR4 for 'general' discussions, general, and not what it should be - and not topic specific. Thank you, Loupy.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Doorman (2); Loupy (1); lyn (1)

Previous in Forum: Egg Pasteurization   Next in Forum: Particular Standard for High Voltage Test and Insulation Resistance Test
You might be interested in: Lab-on-a-Chip (LOC) Devices

Advertisement