Previous in Forum: Mechatronics Course   Next in Forum: FE Certificate
Close
Close
Close
12 comments
Participant

Ranking of Integrity at Research Institutions

10/24/2010 3:00 AM

A survey and review of Integrity at Indian Research Institutions is being carried out to be completed in 2011. The review is privately commissioned on behalf of parties having an interest to fund research at Indian Institutions and is independent of any of the Institutions. Integrity of course is more than just retractions of published papers (whether for plagiarism or some other misconduct). Retractions themselves may be for reasons other than misconduct. We are currently gathering information and are trying to devise an "Integrity Index" which can be of practical help to parties (mainly European companies) who are interested to fund research at Indian Institutions. http://ktwop.wordpress.com/2010/10/10/survey-and-review-of-integrity-at-indian-research-institutions/ What constitutes integrity? And can it be measured? Is it, in fact, possible to rank the integrity of an institution?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
India - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 163

Re: Ranking of Integrity at Research Institutions

10/24/2010 12:14 PM

i am not quite sure what you are looking for in response here, perhaps it is a question of semantics, English being a foreign language to both of us....

Are you looking for a universal "Integrity" index? Then good luck, you will get about $10 million for it in the first hour after finding it.

And why only Indian research institutions ? The rest of the world is above reproach ?

And why do you want to invest in Indian research institutions ? Plenty available in Sweden, and neighbouring countries ?

And why is an eminent Indian (though NRI perhaps) called KKP doing this ?

Some clarifications may get better responses ?

In reply to #1

10/24/2010 1:24 PM

Perhaps I was not sufficiently clear. A number of parties wish to fund research in India. But they get concerned about what they see in the press about plagiarism and other misconduct. They are therefore looking for a way to select institutions on the basis of integrity. Of course they look at many other factors before judging where to fund research but "integrity" - however it can be defined - is also now an explicit factor. I am only looking at Indian institutions at this time because that is where they are looking to fund research activities. There are many criteria that could be used to define and measure "integrity". I am looking for views and suggestions on which are the most important constituents of "integrity" and how they can be measured. This is more an issue of practicality rather than philosophy.

In reply to #2

10/24/2010 11:14 PM

Perhaps it is best to invest in an own research facility. Many have done it, ABB and Volvo for example, to mention the two Swedish giants. Hundreds of European and US companies are doing the same.

That way, you are in control locally. One can access the brain power available in research institutions on a daily, hands-on basis. i used to interact with IISc, Bangalore on behalf of ABB and GE when i used to work for those companies.

United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 180

10/24/2010 3:43 PM

Why do you use an avatar showing fine Swedish engineering then your looking for excellence in Indian research facilities?

Good Answers: 54

10/25/2010 12:39 AM

Our family took a backpacking tour through Jaipur, New Delhi and Varanasi last year. Every small town we went through seemed to have its own "University" issuing degrees in Engineering, Opthalmology, Hairdressing etc.

One Indian newspaper article indicated that 30(!) Indian universities had just been shut down due to "irregularities", although our guide didn't find this unusual. When I've asked some "degree qualified" Indians, they've happily told me they bribed their way through their studies. This is acceptable in some fields (law/marketing/commerce) but not in Engineering.

Some Westerners may be reluctant to hire Indians if they can't be sure their qualifications are legitimate. A (trustworthy) integrity guide will be a great help.

Good Answers: 31
In reply to #5

10/25/2010 1:55 AM

Not to mention the reservation system used in India where some of the lower castes can manage to get through school due to the status - and not much more.

The IIT universities (and some others) produce some top flight students - many others produce kids that have been in a holding area for four areas.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 25
In reply to #5

10/25/2010 7:37 AM

This has happened as Aussies started beating up Indian students. Such violence was the reason for creation of many universities..

Good Answers: 31
In reply to #7

10/25/2010 9:46 AM

A small amount of truth mixed in maybe - how many students got beaten?

Many of the new universities are for pay - the amount paid can determine many things. These are big bucks for the owners and the state has not exercised all that much effort at control.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 64

10/25/2010 10:08 AM

Talk to people in related areas of work. Reputations are established one way or the other; with either good results where people want to work with the said party on a continuing basis, or where the reputation is bad and there is no repeat business/interaction.

How do you define integrity? Integrity is the uniformity between what is believed/said and the subsequent actions. Ideally what is believed is based on principles that are accepted by moral and societal law.

There should be consistency of behavior regardless of the situation. No situational ethics or the thinking that "I will portray myself this way this time because I will benefit from this situation if I do". You do what is right regardless of whether you will get the business or not. I've heard it said that "integrity is doing what is right when no one else is around to observe my behavior/when the lights are out".

The benefit of working with companies with people of integrity in leadership is that they influence the rest of the organization, with one of the results for the customer/consumer being trust. Trust elicits long-term relationship/business.

In reply to #9

10/25/2010 11:23 AM

Thanks. I think I will have no option but to go for a mix of qualitative, subjective assessments (reputation) together with a few quantitative parameters such as the ratio of retracted papers to total published, a relative incidence of cases of misconduct and the incidence of internal application of ethics policies. I think it will be impossible to remove the element of subjectivity but some objectivity can be assured by giving more weight for positive assessments from third parties and more weight to negative assessments from within the institution. Of course even these may be biased and unrepresentative and then corroboration of opinions becomes important.

In reply to #10

10/25/2010 12:06 PM

Look K2P.... i don't know if you are Dr Pillai yourself or not. This whole thread on CR4, and on your main website, are pathetic. You are asking people in general how to measure integrity....this is pretty childish.

You better ask your client what exactly is the research they want to sponsor...which will surely narrow down the number of research institutions in the fray, then approach them individually and assess yourself.

Just curious, would such an assessment not help choose the President/Prime Minister/ etc of a country ???

United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 13

10/25/2010 4:25 PM

GA, Fac-mgr,

I would be interested in seeing the results of this study, I have a patent that I need to validate and cannot afford the prices of American engineers, at least not until I have some preliminary proof, then the investers will be more interested in funding and I can have a large reputable firm do the CFD and FEA to validate the patent and move forward with production. The use of Indian resaercher is an opportunity for cheap quality preliminary research, before spending big money on published research. But I have no clue as to which institution to hire.

Do you have any preliminary opinions?

Spacecannon

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

facilitiesmgr (1); ffej (1); ktwop (2); kvsridhar (3); russ123 (2); spacecannon (1); suresh sharma (1); TonyS (1)

Previous in Forum: Mechatronics Course   Next in Forum: FE Certificate

Advertisement