Previous in Forum: Flowmeter   Next in Forum: Custom 6mm diameter PM step motor
Close
Close
Close
Participant

Fabric Behavior

03/18/2007 12:24 AM

Dear friends,I would like to know the required force which can lead to a permanent shape on a fabric,for a exemple a small dome.What I need to know is the experimentations that can be done on a fabric in order to determine its behavior.By these exparimentations I'll try to decide the required efforts that could lead the febrics fiber to the plastic zone.

Thank you in advance.

ezzoo5070@yahoo.fr

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Commentator
United Kingdom - Member -

Good Answers: 2

Re: Fabric Behavior

03/20/2007 8:28 AM

In order to achieve permanent deformation of a metal component you need to stress it beyond the material's yield point (or proof stress, depending on material). The load it takes to achieve this varies with the proportions of the component.

Most commonly used engineering materials have already been tested and have tables published of their mechanical properties, so don't re-invent the wheel here unless you really have to.

A good reference book such as Machinery's Handbook or Roark's Formulaes will probably give you the equations you need to calculate the stresses in your particular application, or alternatively use an FEA programme on your computer.

Drew

Register to Reply
Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: Flowmeter   Next in Forum: Custom 6mm diameter PM step motor

Advertisement