Previous in Forum: NASA Tech Briefs   Next in Forum: What is Least Likely to Happen in 2011?
Close
Close
Close
11 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 129

Qantas QF32 Flight From the Cockpit

12/16/2010 1:45 AM

I thought this may interest some of the flying members.

-----------------------------------------------

Added on 08 December 2010 by Tim Robinson

On 4 November Qantas flight QF32, an Airbus A380 outbound from Singapore, ran into serious problems when a turbine on its Rolls-Royce Trent 900 engine suffered an uncontained failure. We caught up with one of the five pilots onboard, who describes how the crew professionally dealt with the incident, the sequence of events, and how the most dangerous period was after they had landed.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

Re: Qantas QF32 Flight From the Cockpit

12/16/2010 3:18 AM

Great account. No doubt those guys were sh*tting a few bricks at the time, but you can see how they relied on their knowledge of the systems to figure out pretty closely what was going on, and to respond accordingly--and successfully! Kudos.

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918
In reply to #1

12/16/2010 8:17 AM

I can't speak specifically about this crew, but generally, aircrew are so well trained that any mishap is dealt with in a very professional and measured manner.

I doubt that there was any "brown trousers" moment in the cockpit, contrary to what we are exposed with left and right from Hollywood.

Besides hearing many stories from other pilots, I personally have experienced/observed a number of mishap situations where the pilot in command conducted their procedures both professionally and without drama.

Guru

In reply to #2

12/19/2010 1:52 AM

Quite true as it's what is done.

However there are several other things that interest me about this, 'hidden in the CFI speak' - so I am busy holding my tongue to see if others see the same 'things'.

Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Member United States - Member - Army Vet in the aviation industry

Good Answers: 112
In reply to #4

12/21/2010 10:32 AM

There's a lot of stuff openly 'hidden in the CFI' speak relative to Airbus aircraft design in general.

Enough stuff that I have always avoided traveling in Scarebus aircraft as their designs always seem to be determined to take human authority away from cockpit decision making. Not to mention, "Why the phreak can't I shut off that gd engine?"

Hooker

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #5

12/21/2010 4:07 PM

Indeed loosing 'authority' over the 'good wing' is a tad "inconvenient".

United States - Member - Preserve and protect...

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #5

12/25/2010 11:13 PM

Although I agree wholeheartedly with your message, I might caution that put-on words such as "Scarebus" might turn otherwise curious readers off of the meaty gist of your message.

Not a fly-by-chip fan myself, either, I must then echo your concern: Why the phreak couldn't they shut off that engine?

point5, to you go kudos for the post; I'd sadly resgistered the intent to keep track of this, but then I must have let my thoughts wander..

BUT to that crew, no matter the composite level of expertise (I've experienced corporate panic in flight), kudos for the professionalism! Damn, to have my hands on a yoke again. WHAT A RIDE!

Regards,

Gene

Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Member United States - Member - Army Vet in the aviation industry

In reply to #7

12/27/2010 8:27 AM

Sorry, can't apologize for the use of Scarebus. It's quite common for those of us in the US aviation industry.

We even do it to US companies. My favorites, though I'm showing my age:

Agony Airlines - the old Allegheny Airlines

Useless Air - US Air

Tree Top Airlines - Trans Texas Air

Boing - Boeing

And too many more to list...

Hooker

Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #8

12/27/2010 4:14 PM

In reply to #9

12/27/2010 5:03 PM

One of my sister Chinook Companies in Viet Nam. Only the 1st Cav could've gotten away with that insignia!!!

Hooker

Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #10

12/27/2010 6:13 PM

Was actually looking for the "fly united" airlines t-shirt one - but fell over that and thought - 'yep, just right for a Hooker' - though perhaps not the 'riposte' you deserve for "Scarebus".

United States - Member - Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Electrical Construction

Good Answers: 58

12/16/2010 10:09 AM

WOW - Great read - Thanks.

My hat is off to the flight crew, very well done!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

34point5 (4); Anonymous Hero (1); euhodos (1); Hooker (3); KJK/USA (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: NASA Tech Briefs   Next in Forum: What is Least Likely to Happen in 2011?

Advertisement