Previous in Forum: Entity Parameters   Next in Forum: DP transmitter Calibration
Close
Close
Close
Power-User

Good Answers: 6

How do I calculate Polaris TUC for my location

01/04/2011 8:53 AM

I have an antique Keuffel and Esser transit which I got on e-Bay and is in near mint condition after 70 years of storage. The Optics are crystal clear and the original green factory grease is still on the threaded moving parts. I am not a surveyor but I like to dabble in these areas because I love fine instruments. This morning Jan 04/11, I was observing Polaris with the instrument from a place in my front yard and I noted that it seemed to reach the lower culmination around 07:14AM which was 11:14GMT

What my question is and I hope I don't sound too stupid asking this is how do I convert the published Time of Upper Culmination or TUC found in the Sun and Polaris Ephemerides into the exact time for my yard which is at Longitude 69Degrees 54Minutes 20.89Seconds West and for the lower culmination I saw this morning.

I thought I knew how to do this but I seem to be making a mistake somewhere which I cannot figure out so I thought I would ask you guys to help me out.

Since the above observation was real and quite accurate I should be able to check those numbers favorably with the ones in the ephemeris.

Thanks

John

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Polaris Observations
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 111

Re: How do I calculate Polaris TUC for my location

01/05/2011 9:45 AM

You really need a boat navigation or astronomic website, or a professional book on navigation from library to answer a question like that!

Register to Reply
Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: Entity Parameters   Next in Forum: DP transmitter Calibration
You might be interested in: Explosives Storage Magazines, Hydrants, Electromagnets

Advertisement