Close
Close
4 comments
Associate

Good Answers: 1

Solenoid Valve in Hazardous Area

01/22/2011 3:28 AM

Dear!

I purchase a pneumatic control valve for mud process system in an Oil Rig (hazardous zone 1 and outdoor condition).

Vendor offered me a solenoid valve ex. and water tight types 3, 3s, 4, 4X, 6, 5P, 7, 9? I not sure is this suitable for hazardous zone 1 and outdoor condition?

thanks for helping!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 35

Re: Solenoid valve in hazardous area

01/22/2011 10:39 AM

I would think so, but you need to be sure. I am more used to the classifications like your vendor has specified, e.g., Class I, Div.1 or Class II, Div. 1--I'm not 100% sure what you mean by hazardous zone 1. I'm *guessing* that what somebody means is Class I, Div.1--but somebody associated with the oil rig, or oil rig engineering, or the "Authority having jurisdiction" should (well, d%$n well better) know for sure.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 63

Re: Solenoid Valve in Hazardous Area

01/22/2011 9:22 PM

In the US, both explosion proof and Intrinsically Safe are technologies for Class 1 Div 1 (zone 1) hazardous areas. But both require their own special electrical installation requirements (rigid conduit & sealoffs for EXP or appropriate cable and an I/S barrier for I/S).

Solenoid valves can be purchased with either EXP coils or I/S coils.

Just having a hazardous area rated solenoid valve does not mean it can be plumbed and wired like a non-hazardous area solenoid valve. Proper installation is as important as the valve coil rating.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru

Good Answers: 10

01/22/2011 11:43 PM

If you took this from the vendors info:

This covers Class 1 Div 1 and you can use this pneumatic valve in that environment.

What is listed in there are NEMA classes, 7 Covers Class 1 Div 1 Classification Groups A, B, C and D for indoor use. Being this also seems to carry 4, 4X, 6, 5P and 9 you are covered for outdoor use.

You can use this on the rig.

Good Answers: 122

01/23/2011 11:55 PM

dcongvt,

Both Jimh77 & CarlE have given you good answers. The hazardous zone type of description originated in the European community, but it has been recognized and incorporated into the 2008 NEC (National Electrical Code), in addition to the North American use of Class/Division/Group. The vendor's equipment meets the requirements you have. As was pointed out also, the installation must comply with rules in the code, particularly those requiring properly executed seal-offs near the device and near boundaries where the wiring would go into spaces with a lower classification.

This work requires the knowledge and experience of a qualified industrial electrician. Choose carefully, if you are involved in the installation side of the project.

Don't go boom! --JMM

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 4 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Carl_E (1); Jimh77 (1); jmueller (1); rhkramer (1)

Previous in Forum: Queries on Weld Strength   Next in Forum: Yield Strength

Advertisement