Previous in Forum: Groundhog Day, Winter Weather & Much Needed New Ice/Snow Removal Technologies   Next in Forum: Rail track tolerance
Close
Close
Close
4 comments

Evaporation

02/02/2011 11:36 AM

In the arctic does water evaporate?can evaporation happen with any liquid? do you need heat for evaporation?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 282

Re: evaporation

02/02/2011 11:45 AM

My goodness, so many questions!

Would you take a few minutes and tell us a few things about yourself? Do not be specific, but maybe what country you live in, what grade you are in, what the weather is like today where you live... those sorts of things.

And can you tell us: Does water evaporation have anything to do with your weather today? How so?

Good Answers: 1662

Re: Evaporation

02/02/2011 2:05 PM

sciencekid?,

These are all great questions. And we all like helping kids learn.

But, Doorman is right. It would help if we knew something about you.

And now to experts.

I believe that Doorman and redfred and many others here are experts in some fields. But, defining an expert is somewhat subjective. That means that the word means different things to different people. An expert in the field of evaporation may not be an expert in the field of sound or automobiles.

Good luck.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 282
In reply to #2

02/02/2011 4:26 PM

As mentioned by my gracious associate lynlynch, there are many members (and the occasional Guest) with a strong aptitude in one arena or another.

I will stand as an example: should your instructor task you with discovery about spiced luncheon or snack meats, I will be pleased to offer expert testimony.

Anyone around here will confirm, Doorman is FULL of baloney!

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

02/02/2011 8:31 PM

In the arctic, if there is some liquid water with sun shining on it, it can evaporate. Also, ice can sublimate; i.e., go directly to vapor without passing through the liquid phase.

I think any liquid can evaporate under the right temperature and pressure conditions, but there might be some exotic liquids where the conditions are extreme.

Evaporation involves heat, but not always from an external source. For instance, if you have a flask of room-temperature water and draw a deep enough vacuum on it, it will boil. The heat comes from the remaining liquid water, which cools off as it gives up heat to the vapor.

There is a great little book about this, Clouds In a Glass of Beer, that describes many meteorological processes, with experiments you can try yourself. This book is probably a bit ahead of where you are now in your studies, but I think you could "grow into" it quite nicely. Best of luck!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Doorman (2); lyn (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Groundhog Day, Winter Weather & Much Needed New Ice/Snow Removal Technologies   Next in Forum: Rail track tolerance

Advertisement