Previous in Forum: "Wet" Cement Slab And Moldy Vinyl Flooring?   Next in Forum: Wind Turbine Coil/Flywheel Hybrid
Close
Close
Close
54 comments
Commentator

Good Answers: 1

Ecomagination Challenge... Challenge The Future

03/05/2011 1:27 AM

Development and idea's for the 21st Century.

A Challenge to bring new idea's to LIFE.

In every technical field , for energy savings in every country.

Enter the Challenge , be CREATIVE !

don't just support my idea , take a look at all of them.

This is my idea , with a little help of everybody here at CR4

These are bright idea's from people who actually THINK.

THX T L.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

Re: Ecomagination Challenge... Challenge the future

03/05/2011 3:16 AM

Plurals are not generally spelled with apostrophes.

--Editor Crankshaft

Good Answers: 1662

Re: Ecomagination Challenge... Challenge The Future

03/05/2011 10:00 AM

I'm not sure if this is off-the-wall or over-the-top.

Next IdeaPrevious | Solar Roadway Home Application Name: SRGuy Location: Sagle, Idaho USA Overview: Multi-functional solar panels for driveways, walkways, patios, sports courts etc., will prevent accumulation of snow/ice, be illuminated at night, recharge electric vehicles with renewable energy, allow the family to play interchangeable sports/games in one small space and - most importantly - power the home with energy from the sun. Links http://www.solarroadways.com

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 182
In reply to #2

03/05/2011 10:18 AM

We had on CR4 some of the guys with "great ideas" and all where very very sad that we did not agree with them on their statements about efficiency and other possibilities. The same way as the one who wants to save the world with the barges. I remember one who wanted to convice that a reaction engine has a higher efficiency than a piston one, among others.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1662
In reply to #3

03/05/2011 10:26 AM

I'm all for innovation, and someday, who knows we may be driving on solar cells.

But, some thought about practicality should be used.

The barge guy was a real hoot.

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #3

03/05/2011 3:24 PM

Does it matter ?

Still there is some US$ 100,000 for a REAL winner with a real idea.

My prototype is working since some 10 years , it doesn't matter to me, my neighbors are jealous , I'm sitting comfy for a few bucks and some ideas.

They wanted to crucify Gallileo with his thoughts about the earth spinning around the sun.

New ideas , concepts ,thoughts , they're not all valid.

We only need ONE great one !!

T L.

In reply to #2

03/05/2011 3:13 PM

It doesn't matter Lyn,

As long as we try to get a better world as which is left to us we should work on it.

Don't know exactly what's up with SRGuy , besides that he's in the contest with ideas from last year.

I found an new idea over there which will work exactly in conjunction with my prototype.

It's all trying to create ideas, solutions , new sources , even revive old ones

As long as we can save energy and keep our planet livable

T L.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

In reply to #2

03/05/2011 3:20 PM

More like under-foot or around-the-bend.

Good Answers: 152

03/06/2011 10:15 AM

A real contribution to ecology would be to find alternative uses that do not involve burning, for all of the products of the crude oil cracking process.

If we are still going to crack crude oil to extract light oils for lubrication, naptha for solvents and plastics production, and kerosene for aircraft fuel, there is no point in replacing petrol engines with battery or hydrogen fuelled alternatives. Cracking produces all the crude oil fractions in a well defined ratio, so how do we do use the surplus petrol fraction if we don't put it in cars?

Equally efforts to drastically reduce the use of heavy fuel oils in shipping only make sense if we have an alternative use for heavy fuel oil.

There are precedents for this. In the early twentieth century the increased use of cars and the demand for petrol created a surplus supply of the other fractional products. For bitumen, products like lino and roofing felt were created, and the use of tarmacadam greatly increased to soak up the surplus. Napha became an important chemical solvent. The excess of kerosene was used for lamp oil. Later kerosene for aircraft fuel was an expanding market when kerosene for lamp oil was contracting so the balance was maintained. LPG was one distillate where an immediate use (or more accurately, method of storage and distribution) could not be found, and this led to the widespread practice of flaring off. It was regarded as a waste product and had to be disposed of.

New technology will only be adopted if the balance in oil based technology is maintained, or there are alternatives for all the oil fraction derivatives, permitting oil based technology to be abandoned.

The challenge is as much about developing new outlets for old technology, as it is about developing new technology.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Participant

In reply to #8

03/07/2011 9:21 AM

I believe that we should do everything possible to replace fossil fuels by renewable energy, while seriously working on energy conservation with energy neutral residences as ultimate goal. We, and other serious participants in the GE Challenge gone to great lengths to achieve this. For new construction it is definitely feasible, once architects and contractors see the light. The GE Challenge will allow the best ideas to become reality by financial, technical and operational support. Here are my concepts; I would appreciate votes and comments at my Challenge pages. I especially welcome critical questions (as long as they are polite) as this allows me to further explain the concept. Here are my entries: [linkurl="http://tinyurl.com/smartsolar"] SmartSolar true Solar A/C Until now, solar A/C was solar PV panels with traditional (compressor based) A/C's. SmartSolar uses the much more efficient thermal to thermal approach, dramatically improving payback time. Solar A/C means space heating, cooling and dehumidification, in combination with thermal energy recovery ventilation. The system just uses small pumps and fans, no other active components. Especially on the subject of seasonal thermal storage I would appreciate a meaningful discussion, as this technique, with an origin many centuries ago, is not on most engineer's radar. [linkurl="http://tinyurl.com/smartwind"] SmartWind RidgeBlaster This ridge mounted wind turbine is a revolution in residential wind energy as it breaks the cost barrier and is aesthetically pleasing. Both are important as they are currently the reasons why residential wind energy is an exception. With our concept the price of a 1.8 kW wind turbine (3 kW max) including a 3 kW inverter is reduced to $ 4,000 (end user). By placing the turbine over the full width of the roof, he diameter could be small (for residences 1'10" - 45 cm) which is by no means intrusive. Do watch the video; this is really an out of the box approach! [linkurl="http://tinyurl.com/ECC2011"] Energy Conservation Controller By detecting motion in rooms, ECC automatically switches lights on and off and modifies the temperature to user defined short and long absence levels. It also doubles as an advanced alarm system that sends alert messages to cell phones. In larger buildings with new construction the payback time is zero, as relatively expensive thermostats are replaced with low cost sensors and a central control system. We built this system in the 90's and installed it at our office to impress visitors; to find out later that our energy bill was reduced by 25% - 35%. We are currently working on a wireless version. I really appreciate votes and comments from CR4 forum members as I recognized that most of you are well informed and experienced.

In reply to #40

03/07/2011 10:40 AM

I had a look at your presentations. As written once I have to repeat "paper is patient" being dutch you know this german proverb. However the ideas are not so bad I see only a problem the houses have all of them be build with the ridge perpendicular to the most probable wind since your turbines are not turning in the wind. Or do you intend to orient the whole house to the wind ? It is possible but costly. An other problem is the efficiency of the turbines with their rotation axis vertical or horizontal. The wind acts positive on half of the projected area and as a brake on the other! Who wins ? You should have a second look at the design of your rotor. The text gives the impression to be written by a VERY good salesman, are you the one ? I highly appreciate terms as super-efficient converter and similar. I think that if you have a serious look at the problem you could find a viable solution but not really the one you show. I agree with you that: - we should make energy economies - we should build better but we have as well to be realistic and thing about how much it will cost and what are priorities one of them being food for those who do not eat enough for instance.

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #41

04/08/2011 10:11 PM

When we entered the competition we had little time to make the animation, which initially did not show the ramp that guides the wind to the upper section of the rotor. In the new video this is corrected and this also shows the solar CPV unit mounted on top.

It is not correct that all houses are built with the ridge perpendicular to the most probable wind. And of course we realize that in certain cases the efficiency will be less because of an unfavorable prevailing wind direction. But as our blades are very cheap it is no problem to compensate that by using a larger blade area.

The strengths of the SmartWind turbine are:

* aesthetically pleasing

* extremely low cost: a 1.8 kW (@ 10 m/s) turbine including 3 kWp inverter will cost US$ 4,000

* system includes a anemometer (that responds much faster to wind changes than a rotor). This way we can more exactly predict the wind speed at any given moment and offer the optimal load. Because of this feature we could also integrate a data logger into the inverter. Each system can produce statistics via the Internet

While it is not unique to have designed a 97% efficient inverter it is top of the line.... And we did it and because of this, we could mount the inverter in an IP65 enclosure and hang it outside -wind cooled.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #40

03/07/2011 11:38 AM

While my comments may be simple,

When the hobbity crowd comes here shilling for votes, there isn't going to be a positive reception

you seem to understand the point & have provided much more information...

But as you can see there is going to be a much more rigorous review of the technical aspects here than would be typical on the GE site

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 129
In reply to #40

03/07/2011 5:53 PM

It took me a while to find the video. Please in future provide a direct active link to the target E.g. http://challenge.ecomagination.com/home/SmartWind-RidgeBlaster-18-kW-wind-turbin

The link tool in the header provides this facility.

The concept

On the numbers given and some counting, you have 20 rotors, 2m long x 450mm diameter. An area of 9 m2

At a wind velocity of 6m/s, this would potentially yield ~486 W in a well designed HAWT.

However the rotors - as illustrated - are simple 'drag devices' and would only be turned by the difference in boundary layer velocity over the roof. Or if the wind in the video was 'from' camera' - rotate in the opposite way to that shown. They will also 'beat' with each ridge pass. Expect high noise and vibration levels in the roof structure.

The 'power' available from drag differential devices (such as cup anemometers) is a few % of that which can be captured by a momentum harnessing device. Meaning the 486 W just became ~10 W

You could design the rotors for 'momentum capture' - however the proximity to the roof would then make the rotors 'mono directional' - so only work efficiently in one wind direction.

The claim of wind from all directions is false. You cannot just lay a VAWT horizontal and not 'update the characteristics'.

A tip for the future - and several other contestants: You cannot 'funnel' momentum without losing momentum.

Good luck with the prototype

In reply to #46

04/08/2011 11:12 PM

First of all please note that the initial animation was primarily intended to show the aesthetic impact. Meanwhile we have an updated video, that shows more details as well as the optional solar CPV mounted on top.

In your calculation you mention 20 units of 2 meter x 45 cm; that would have been 18 m2. But realistically, a typical roof for a larger free standing residence is 20 meter wide. That yields 9 m2, so coincidentally your 9 m2 figure is correct.

The HAWT XL1 of Bergey generates 856W @ 10 m/s and 224W @ 6 m/s . Using the same ratio your 486W @ 6 m/s comes to 1.85 kW @ 10 m/s. Let's conclude that we agree on your 486W.

There are a number of effects in this specific application that affect performance, both negative and positive.

Negative

Unfavorable position towards the prevailing wind reduces output.

Turbulence

Positive

Funnel effect of the roof concentrates the wind.

Clearly when the prevailing wind is parallel with the ridge this design is not suitable. But for wind that comes in under an angle of up to 50 degrees it will work with some loss in performance. As our price is extremely low (US$ 4,000 for the 1.8 kW model including a 3 kWp inverter) we can accept lower output for that reason and still be financially viable.

Please appreciate that in the max. 50 word text at the challenge it is difficult to explain much detail.

Once we produced our 0-series we will produce statistics, which we can reliably do because each system comes with a anemometer and built in data logger. By that time I will get back to CR4 and let you judge on the basis of real data.

Thank you that you toke the time to comment. Have a look at the new video

03/06/2011 11:21 AM

Check out my invention http://challenge.ecomagination.com/home/The-Shrouded-Dual-Turbine-Generator-a-hi for "Powering the Home"

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 114
In reply to #9

03/06/2011 1:23 PM

Here's a link to your site link

short on facts, if you want to talk about the nuts & bolts of your design, you've come to the right place, if you're looking for cheerleaders....

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #10

03/06/2011 1:35 PM

Thanks. I've been sharing more details and answering questions on the Challenge.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

In reply to #11

03/06/2011 2:46 PM

then why are you posting here?

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 13
In reply to #13

03/06/2011 5:32 PM

Isn't it obvious?

Bridge rule #1: Nobody is as good as he thinks about himself nor as dumb, as his partner thinks...
Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #16

Ecomagination Challenge... Challenge Credibility

03/06/2011 6:14 PM

Someone left the door to PESwiki open?

We get these sorts of threads from time to time, they don't generally get beyond

Save the planet, send us money so we can develop our nearly plausible [patent pending] idea

on a positive note I have seen any mention of HHO :D

take This for instance, anyone want to take a crack at the basic flaws with this concept?

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #17

Re: Ecomagination Challenge... Challenge Credibility

03/06/2011 9:04 PM

The Gravitational Vortex Power Plant is on the PESwiki. The guy who invented it has won awards in at least 3 countries.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #19

03/06/2011 9:14 PM

But which three countries?

A little ways off of I-5 in SW Oregon, there is a tourist trap called the "Oregon Vortex." It's the "house that Jack built," with everything askew and out of plumb or parallel. The optical illusions throw almost all visitors off, but it is a hoot to listen to the dopey "explanations" offered for these "phenomena." It's a mind-warp rather than a space-warp.

In reply to #20

03/06/2011 10:47 PM

USA, Switzerland and Austria.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #19

03/06/2011 11:34 PM

Gravitational Vortex Power Plant is a reasonably good idea complete with explanation, drawings

Just because the inventor happened to end up on PESwiki we may not hold it against him

this is A far cry from a wind up generator that is little more than a 1/2 baked concept

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #22

03/07/2011 1:54 AM

It's an interesting concept I'm reasonably sure if you plugged in the same mass-flow and head numbers into a Francis you'd get a superior result.

You may note the 'similarities' in principal (if not the fluid dynamics).

I'd call it a case of make it look different and people (without a background in the Engineering Art) think it's "New" and wonnafull.

But at least the embodiment is 'documented' well enough to understand the physics, and claims, and principals - so you know it's for when you can't afford, or the mass flow is too small - to do it 'properly' - from a cost benefit POV, or as a 'backyard project'.

Obviously this comment is not directed at Garthh

In reply to #25

03/07/2011 2:14 AM

Hi, 34.5, I don't think the Francis can do the same low head as the gravitational vortex. Apparently the big advantage is that fish can pass down and up! THROUGH the turbine. How much is that worth? I think the smallest head it can do is about 0.7 meters.

A few videos about the gravitational vortex. The second one with the guy tightening the blades shows the clearance at the bottom (presumably to let fish through) and he is standing in water.
I think this is a 1.5 meter head model.
Blades delivered http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JJNZJ4XrkE
next shows a guy tightening the blades inside.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9Hj2IBiGR8
3rd shows it starting up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_3xYjZhKjA
This final one shows it running (less turbulent than starting up)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4NTth-KvPI

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #27

03/07/2011 2:47 AM

Yep; it's leaky inefficient 'fish friendly" (good luck super fish) green goodness 'less energy capture' wunnafullness.

In reply to #28

03/07/2011 2:59 AM

GA. The turbine article was especially good, and a nice find.

In reply to #29

03/07/2011 3:20 AM

Thank you kind Sir - but not zacly hard in 'find' terms - 'twas just sitting there at the foot in Wiki 'citations'. Oh for a world in which people actually "researched" the f**king "principles"!

In reply to #30

03/07/2011 3:33 AM

You're certainly right about seeking out the principles.

The dam turbines in the Columbia and Snake Rivers in Washington State have been caricatured as "Cuisinarts" that chop up fish. Actually, they are quite slow-turning, and most fish simply make it through in the slipstream; although a few would get whacked by the leading edge of a turbine blade. You would quite likely be interested in The Great Salmon Hoax, by James Buchal (not sure of the author's name).

In reply to #31

03/07/2011 4:00 AM

There is the thing called a "fish ladder" So just how "behind the times" does your average "Oh! 700 mm" 'green bozo' have to be?

Do they know nothing about 'fish' and the migrating, or 'selection' of the species?

Never mind proper system design!? <deep breath> & & & & <choke <thump

In reply to #32

03/07/2011 4:12 AM

Seals, Herons and otters love fish ladders. They are GREAT!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #28

03/07/2011 4:07 AM

So, I guess you can tell me which other turbine can work on 1 meter head and let fish up and down through it? And while you are at it you can price it out too?

Because actually the return on money invested counts for a lot more that the theoretical efficiency.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #33

03/07/2011 4:19 AM

You are the Gaia who needs to do 'home work' - not set me to do it for you

In reply to #35

03/07/2011 4:33 AM

None of the homework was relevant. All non specific stuff. The problematic sites are big flow low head sites.

2 meters and less. It is very hard for any turbine to harness those economically.

Herding fish with fish ladders for otters is not a viable fish management strategy. It is interesting that you refuse to look at the gravitational vortex in depth. Seems you mind was made up before you looked at any figures.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #36

03/07/2011 4:59 AM

Well, then give us some figures, even if only preliminary ones. The figures for the one shown in the videos are not likely to be very promising.

In reply to #36

03/07/2011 5:17 AM

How did otters get into it?

Fish ladders are employed world wide - otters aren't

Unless you mean Twin Otters

How is 'mass flow' not relevant?

Or is this a solution that makes all the Laws obsolete?

If you want 'my mind made up' it will indeed be by figures - but unfortunately you don't seem to have any 'better than prior Art".

In reply to #36

03/07/2011 10:58 AM

"The Francis turbine is a reaction turbine, which means that the working fluid changes pressure as it moves through the turbine, giving up its energy. A casement is needed to contain the water flow. The turbine is located between the high-pressure water source and the low-pressure water exit, usually at the base of a dam. The inlet is spiral shaped. Guide vanes direct the water tangentially to the turbine wheel, known as a runner. This radial flow (in fact the flow is NOT only radial it has also a swirl movement due to angle of inlet vanes as pictures show it in the wikipedia chapter) acts on the runner's vanes, causing the runner to spin. The guide vanes (or wicket gate) may be adjustable to allow efficient turbine operation for a range of water flow conditions. As the water moves through the runner, its spinning radius decreases, further acting on the runner. For an analogy, imagine swinging a ball on a string around in a circle; if the string is pulled short, the ball spins faster due to the conservation of angular momentum. This property, in addition to the water's pressure, helps Francis and other inward-flow turbines harness water energy efficiently."(from Wikipedia) The swirl turbine is an action turbine using the kinetic energy of water. The same momentum conservation law is the reason for the swirl since the inlet is tangential at the utmost diameter. There is -but the reaction of the Francis turbine- a very good similarity between the 2 solutions. I think that it is possible to design a better vane profile which will make more from the level differences which are not completely used but of course it could be more expensive and not justified if the higher power harvest does not allow a shorter RIO. The example is a 10 kW harvest unit(the display of the power meter in one of the movies shows it). It is a solution for remote sites with availability of water and low demand where the connection to a grid would be prohibitive. It could supply only for appliances and small requirements (not for heating) about 3 to 6 houses. The investment is not as small as it could appear (one of the movies has as title "free (gratis) power from the whirl": - Earth moving for the channel, the cup and the outlet - Concrete pouring - Structure in stainless steel (Pureinox marked on the van) - Gear box - Generator - Control panel - Putting all in place - Water flow control - Maintenance The water fall to the vanes seems to be about 3m (there is a slope). The rotor turns at about 12 rpm , the blades are about 2x1.2m (from the movies). This leads to a tangential speed of about 0.75m/s. At same radius it can be assumed from the pictures that radial speed is about 1.2 m/s so that the flow is about 8 m^3/s. The power in the water flow is 24 kW. This means that at 1st glance the solution is not so bad with an efficiency around 40 %. I think that the plant was build because the owner is a civil engineer and has I suppose a company able to do the whole work. It should be mentioned that a turbine of higher power has efficiencies around 95% and up to 98%.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #25

03/07/2011 1:16 PM

A Francis turbine needs 10 meters of head according to wikipedia. (I couldn't remember so I checked)

"I'd call it a case of make it look different and people (without a background in the Engineering Art) think it's "New" and wonnafull".

So go ahead and "plug in the numbers". But don't be surprised if your Francis is so huge that it does not even turn. Its working principle requires that high pressure.

By the way, Austrian engineer Franz Zotlöterer (who makes the vortex and has the patent) is guess what? an ENGINEER.

So lets do a demolition job on him, shall we? Your comment on doing it "properly" is super. So what should we do?

Lets dam the lowland rivers to get 10 meters of head every 5 or 10 miles. Who cares about flooding millions of hectares of farmland?

We can use a FRANCIS, yeah!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #44

03/07/2011 4:31 PM

As you have noticed I am not against the system I only notice that the efficiency is very low and it could be a problem of return of investment time. I also agree that under circumstances it could be a solution, but what you say about the Francis turbine is wrong whatever wikipedia said. In the solution you defend there is a lot of energy not harvested because of the vanes geometry. What is used is ONLY the tangential impulse and nothing from the vertical flow. In general Francis turbines are huge because they were designed for huge flows. It is possible to design for small flows as well with lower efficiencies but higher than the one your pet turbine has. A Francis turbine does not need only 10m head and cannot work with less it can but with not economical results. Of course the complexity of the design is justified only for big flows. As I wrote between the Francis turbine and the one you present there are NOT basic differences: both generate a swirl one with a tangential entry the other with a stator which directs flow, both have cup profiled vanes but the Francis turbine makes a better usage of available energy in the flow. Look a bit deeper and after reading a few pages about hydrodynamics you will see the truth.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #45

03/07/2011 6:21 PM

1. It is not my pet system.

2. It is being used in low head situations, Francis isn't.

So people are not comparing like with like.

3 It is less than a decade old and is patented so maybe the truth is not that obvious.

4. Other solutions like the hydrodynamic screw are also available.

(Beating the Francis on low head sites But only allow downstream fish migration)

5 Efficiency is not a correct comparison. Return on investment is more accurate.

And finally, (and this is as deep as anyone has to look)

If the fishermen or local government do not allow you to put in a Francis,

How can it possibly be relevant to this discussion?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #44

03/07/2011 6:26 PM

I'm not quite sure what your issue is.

Nick has done an excellent job of explaining the parallels in principles. Even the likely efficiency of a 'low head version'. WE have both said it may have some application - just don't expect 'high performance per dollar expended'

It seems Now you have also learned the Francis is a 'medium head' turbine principle. Excellent.

SO - if you only have a metre of head - why wouldn't you use the proper turbine technology for the application?

Next time your in Wiki, maybe "remember" this or this

In reply to #48

04/09/2011 3:19 AM

My issue is that all your solutions kill the fish and that is a no no in the situations where you want to install the turbines. So even if you had 100% efficiency it would still be useless.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #52

04/09/2011 10:48 PM

If they are killing fish - and we've been through that - you are doing it wrong.

In reply to #17

Re: Ecomagination Challenge... Challenge the Future

03/07/2011 12:12 AM

Well well,

So you really want to say General-Electric and all it's subsidiary companies are a hoax.

All their employees are fools and or nitwits ?

All these contributors have REAL ideas.

Patents and their numbers can be checked.

The financial Companies supporting this Challenge are a hoax too ?

Off course you're posting anonymously, you have no ideas of your own,

you're just plain JEALOUS

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #23

Re: Ecomagination Challenge... Challenges Credibility

03/07/2011 12:43 AM

You can at any time provide more detailed information about your projects than the vague platitudes seen so far about saving the planet

Patents are mostly meaningless

The ecomagination challenge is PR for GE

Stop trying to use this site to bootstrap your way into credibility

Anonymous Poster #1

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #24

03/07/2011 8:44 AM

I agree with Timelord that your comment is all too simple. There may be entries that make no sense, but there are many that are well thought over and can have a significant impact when they get financing. So you must look a bit more careful before you judge. You are correct though that one of the considerations of GE is PR, in addition to making sure that they benefit from the latest in energy conservation. But I don't see why this hurts, as during the process they invest 200 million $ in promising startups and give them operational and management support. [linkurl="http://tinyurl.com/smartsolar"] [linkurl="http://tinyurl.com/smartwind"] [linkurl="http://tinyurl.com/ECC2011"]

In reply to #39

04/08/2011 11:01 PM

THX James,

He's posting anonymously so why bother.

As stated before it must have something to do with the person not having

their own ideas, own thoughts or the own capability to invent something.

T L.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #50

04/09/2011 8:44 AM

Your comment is just an attempt to divert attention from the basic flaws

You & the rest of the Ecoimagineers are trying to use this forum to increase credibility for 1/2 baked ideas, that don't stand up to serious review

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #23

Re: Ecomagination Challenge... Challenge the Future

03/07/2011 2:02 AM

In your profile you say "Quantum Dimension, where even the Borg Collective is a retarted species."

I have to ask; what is a "retarted" species?

Is that like "mutton dressed as lamb"?

Just curious

OT obviously

In reply to #11

03/06/2011 3:06 PM

More informations, please...

About Your Dual Turbine Generator...

Andrew

I hope - You like my invent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et6zrzNL1FE

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #9

03/06/2011 4:11 PM

off course I checked it out Laura

03/06/2011 1:39 PM

Thanks Timelord for invite!

I hope You liked my idea of cheap, efficient and simple to perform Stirling Engine...

Video is only idea! Now I am working on prototype. And after that I will know what differential temperature wiil "turn on" my engine. My invent is using two chambers with rotating displacers working in opposite phases. Thus we get the engine air / cylinder work / - twice the pressure / force /

At your request I present an abbreviated version of the video on the applications of my invention...
Single Rotary Stirling engine (WASE2) can be connected in series or in parallel, creating flat panels, similar to the solar panels. Each such panel has an individual generator
( alternator).
The temperature difference between the surfaces causes the panel WASE2 rotation all connected motors, which in
turn generates an electric current in alternator.
The difference in temperature due to cooling one side of the panel and simultaneously heating the other side.
Cool we flowing air, water or other medium, a low temperature.
Heat can be any heat source such as solar, steam, biological, geothermal energy, chemical, nuclear sources or waste heat from industrial processes.
Or another heat sources: energy of each combustion of any fuel like gasoline, diesel, natural gas, propane, bio-diesel, hydrogen, coal...
Therefore, it seems clear the possibility of such panels:
- In co-generation systems and heat recovery in industry
- Complete as a unit of electricity in electric vehicles and hybrid vehicles
- A combined heat and power (CHP) system
- As a small, portable electric power generator in places lacking electricity network especially in space...

Heating and cooling
If supplied with mechanical power, a Stirling engine can function in reverse as a heat pump for heating or cooling.
Experiments have been performed using wind power driving a Stirling cycle heat pump for domestic heating
and air conditioning...
In 1978 y I was reading about Stirling engines.
I found that existing solutions are too complicated...
I've devised own type of engine ...
And I forgot about it for 30 years...
A year ago, I remembered my old idea...

I have not yet come across a similar solution...

I would like to run my "patent" soon...

Best and warm regards

Andrew

Videos about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et6zrzNL1FE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW1yZq30QFM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml6PsaFDQGg

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)

03/06/2011 6:48 PM

Hey Galileo, You miss-spelled retarded in your fascinating introduction.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

34point5 (10); Andrzej (2); Anonymous Poster (4); gaiatechnician (9); Garthh (3); indel (1); James Post (4); jhhassociates (1); Laura (2); lyn (2); nick name (4); SmithW6079 (1); timelord (5); Tornado (6)

Previous in Forum: "Wet" Cement Slab And Moldy Vinyl Flooring?   Next in Forum: Wind Turbine Coil/Flywheel Hybrid

Advertisement