Previous in Forum: Allen Key Size   Next in Forum: Welding a Pipe Under Seawater
Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 2

Hydraulic Cylinder Port Pipe Removal

03/28/2011 9:50 AM

I bought a Hydraulic Lift trailer with 4' cylinders that was plumbed with galvenized 1/2 inch els and these were broke off smooth to the cylinder and I need ti remove the threads any type sugestion will help. I don't want to damage the cylinder threads.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

Re: Hydraulic Cylinder Port Pipe Removal

03/28/2011 10:03 AM

They make extraction tools to remove broken off pipe. Check you local hardware store. They also make an internal pipe wrench which would be my first choice. Grabs the inside of the tube so that you can back it out.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 781

03/28/2011 10:20 AM

This type of tool is often called an "Easy-Out", with various trademark spellings. They are made in sizes to fit internal pipe diameters, and various other internal diameters. By using this term, people will understand what you are looking for.

03/28/2011 10:51 AM

Thanks for the input. I went all around the horn looking for an easy out that size and got nowhere. the extraction tool and internal pipe wrench are both names that sound good. I'll work on that today..

Guru
Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 28

03/28/2011 12:39 PM

Google cam action internal pipe wrench. Here's what one looks like.

In reply to #4

03/28/2011 1:05 PM

Hey,RDGRNR, Thanks for the Pic. I was raised in a Mechanical and Electrical and never had an occasion to venture on to this little object. Bet it will work. I goggled it and have one on the way. Thanks again

03/28/2011 2:41 PM

Hi there ,

Not to sound to dumb or stupid but i found with my experience in the hydraulics industry that easy outs don't always work. Depending on how tight the threaded section has been tightened into the port i have had a degree of luck taking an old hex shafted flat screwdriver, Hammer it into the damaged fitting and then fitting a suitable adjustable spanner to the shaft.

It had worked for me numerous times with little or no damage to the threads. and if the port is parallel threaded all the better.

I can't promise that it will work in your case though. But may be worth a shot.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200
In reply to #6

03/29/2011 3:25 PM

I do almost the same (did one last week), but I cut a slot on each side first with a Dremel tool. No need to hammer into place either then.....just turn.

Make sure the dust stays outside!!!

Good Answers: 774

03/28/2011 2:48 PM

Being I work around farm and industrial equipment I have came across that problem many times. When I can I weld a bolt into the broken off fitting and screw it out that way.

If that does not work I take a Dremel or die grinder and a small bit and cut the broken fitting into two or more pieces, Not all the way through just until I hit the threads, then collapse it with a chisel or punch.

If I do nick a few threads I typically use JB weld to reseal the new fitting in place. It fills in the rough spots and makes fore a very solid leak free seal.

Register to Reply
Associate

03/28/2011 2:52 PM

Nice tool suggest there, bummer they don't get them here in the UK i better look at getting a full set imported from the USA..

Register to Reply
Guru
Australia - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 23
In reply to #8

03/29/2011 8:48 AM

Check out Ridgid spline extractors, I have had very good results with these as they do not deform the thread which can make extraction easier.

Also if the piece of broken pipe section has been fitted with thread sealant they can be extremely hard to loosen. In this case it is a good idea to fit a brass plug in the hole and apply some judicial heating this will soften the sealant so the extractor wont need to much force .

United States - Member - USA! Hobbies - Musician - Sound Man Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - More than a Hobby Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 99

03/28/2011 7:55 PM

Just a word of caution... Do not use galvanized pipe in any hydraulic system that uses any standard form of hydraulic fluid. I see this practice in the field, and it always ends in disastrous results to the entire system. Not sure what happens chemically, but it tends to build up some goo like substance in the circuit. Any good Hydraulic Engineer/designer should be aware of this. If anyone knows what happens chemically I would be very curious to know. All I've seen is the aftermath, which is never good.

In reply to #9

03/29/2011 10:40 AM

RVZ717, Thanks for the input, This ole lift trailer touches the 15K lbs and the connections to the Cyl. were galvinized fittings and the thought occured they should have been black or brass. I'll go back probable with brass. These Cyl.'s are 4' and not old. I'ed like to do it right as possible the lifting part is about [?] 4 ton and heavy to dump grain trailers so I don't need to mess up the threads on the two 4' cylinders. I'm not a farmer, just an ole man past his prime doing a project to resale. I've found throughout life that we are all idiots, just on different subjects...thanks again..

United States - Member - USA! Hobbies - Musician - Sound Man Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - More than a Hobby Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 99
In reply to #11

03/29/2011 11:55 AM

"we're all idiots, just on different subjects" Boy isn't that the truth... My wife always says she isn't as smart as me, but I always tell her that I could never decorate a house so nicely, and there is no way I could ever do her job well, hair/nails and fashion are all a mystery to me. Let me at a machine of some sort and I'm at home. Depending on the pressure in your system, you might look at steel or stainless fittings. We only use brass in our low pressure lube/pneumatic systems. Only Steel or Stainless steel for the high pressure hydraulics... But then again, I'm sure you are aware of the old saying "there are many ways to skin a cat" (no offense Del)... Cheers!

Good Answers: 129
In reply to #11

03/29/2011 4:17 PM

Heat is a good idea - as Garthh said.

300 C0 will breakdown the usual range of sealants.

Do not use brass fittings for hydraulics - they are only good to around 500 psi

Do not use 'hot dipped gal" fittings - they are also rubbish steel

Only use passivated zinc [or cadmium] plated fittings from a hydraulics supplier.

Pirtek or ENZED or any of a bunch of others - in Australia?

Also you need the correct thread and mating face detail - which is - or maybe - similar looking - but not the same series.

Not to it properly is A. inviting disaster [and liability] B. will fail rego.

Their van guys also have extractors and are not afraid to use them.

p.s. I wouldn't use a dremel or grinder anywhere near hydraulics - unless you are intending a full strip and solvent wash-down of the cylinders.

In reply to #14

03/29/2011 4:33 PM

hahaha i used to be one of Pirteks van guys as you so say... 8 1/2 years i did..

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 129
In reply to #15

03/29/2011 5:27 PM

No surprise, given you put up the screwdriver technique and are lusting after that internal wrench.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

34point5 (2); Andy Germany (1); garth (1); jtd405 (3); ozzb (1); RDGRNR (1); RVZ717 (2); taurus66 (3); tcmtech (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Allen Key Size   Next in Forum: Welding a Pipe Under Seawater

Advertisement