Previous in Forum: Alcohol concentration , and use   Next in Forum: PVC Vs. Polyurethane
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Participant

Stainless Steel 316Ti

04/13/2007 11:24 PM

Can I use Stainless Steel 316Ti in the applications that has temperature 800 C?

I want to put some structure made by 316Ti into flue gas duct that has temperature 800 C.

Are there any corrosion problem in this case?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: 316Ti composition stainless steel
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194

Re: Stainless Steel 316Ti

04/14/2007 2:25 AM

Dear sonmech,

I did a quick internet search and came up with this - it will tell you what you need to know.

http://www.alleghenytechnologies.com/ludlum/Documents/316ti.pdf

To get this, I placed the following text in the Google textbox:

+316Ti +composition

It is amazing what you can find on the internet by learning how to effectively use search engines.

Mike

Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Good Answers: 14

04/14/2007 9:27 AM

Such a high-value super-alloy as 316Ti for only a 800º C flue gas duct?

If you want a prompt low-cost delivery, ask Hendrix with your high temp situation, life/cost equation, etc.

They will quote and supply the best value flue duct - ready to use.

CR4 colleagues should see the revealing pictures of corrosion, fatigue, and scaling of alloys at

http://hghouston.com/resources/corrosion-images

Register to Reply
Participant

04/14/2007 11:15 AM

Yes, I need to assure that after some operation my structure will not be burned out and destroy every things

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

04/15/2007 1:30 AM

SS 316Ti characterized very high scaling at 450 deg C and more

Regards

Yuri

Register to Reply
Associate

04/15/2007 8:36 PM

I have experience using valves and dampers to control the exhaust back pressure on automotive engine test stands at temps ranging up to 1000C.

750-800 C (glowing cherry red) is the point at which you need to consider many factors. The chemical makeup of the exhaust, it's moisture content, flow rate and pressure are the most obvious. Is the flow pattern or velocity directly impinging the item or is it in the boundary layer? But perhaps the most critical issue is function and longevity. If our tests were short term and "one off", inexpensive materials could be used. If the components were part of a long term project that was expected to last many months or even years, a lot of thought was given to the cost/benefit issue.

One of the most overlooked details is the effect of thermal cycling on any material. And it's not just the varied "heat treating", the properties of the flue gas change with temperature too.

It isn't clear what the purpose of your "structure" is for. Are you testing something that will be removed or is it part of a control or measuring system, something that has to perform as designed over and over without fail? Or is cost not really an issue and you are just wanting the best material?

Lastly, I've learned to take the spec temperature with a grain of salt. Unless it's a large, high flow rate system, the temperatures vary greatly in the duct with distance with from the source and the actual flow rate. Make sure you know the maximum temp where the item will be located.

Sorry, but I can't be more specific because as always, "it just depends". Since you are considering 316Ti, I assumed this was important to you.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Good Answers: 14
In reply to #5

04/15/2007 9:02 PM

Dear Zippy2,

Good Morning to you.

So mature are your observations.

Couldn't the Original questioner be clearer and more complete?

If he could come out-even now- with more--he will get much more back!

That will be a complete story.

BR

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 6 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Mikerho (1); MUKULMAHANT (2); sonmech (1); Zippy2 (1)

Previous in Forum: Alcohol concentration , and use   Next in Forum: PVC Vs. Polyurethane

Advertisement