Previous in Forum: Radius of Piping Elbow   Next in Forum: LPG and CNG Liquefaction
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Associate

Cadworx Plant

06/23/2011 1:17 AM

Is there any possibility for two persons to work(piping) on single file of cadworx plant. I have to prepare a layout using a draftsman but time is very limited. so I want two of my draftsman to work on same layout. please help if its possible.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

Re: Cadworx plant

06/23/2011 1:31 AM

Suppose drafter 1 saves his/her updated file, and then later drafter 2 saves his/her updates. Wouldn't this overwrite drafter 1's updates?

In reply to #1

06/23/2011 3:27 AM

actually i want both drafstmen to work simultaneously so save time. if one opens the file its read only for other. i want sheetset command but i cant unlock it for editing for both

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780
In reply to #2

06/23/2011 3:46 AM

Then only one of them will really be working at a time, while the other basically just watches. I don't think this will save much time.

Guru

Good Answers: 15

Re: Cadworx Plant

06/23/2011 7:50 AM

Can 2 files be merged into one?

1 drafter could work on the north side of the plant and the other work on the south side of the plant.

Then when they are finished insert them into a the overall plant drawing.

I am not familiar with cadworx but that is what I would do in AutoCad or SolidWorks or ProE.

good luck

Good Answers: 35
In reply to #4

06/23/2011 9:51 AM

There is also the possibility of working in a version control system typically used for software development.

Give the two users instructions to work on separate parts of the plant to minimize the chance of conflicting changes, but, a vcs (like git) can detect conflicting changes and require a person to review changes that appear to be in conflict and resolve the conflict.

Git, imo, now that I've learned it, is fairly easy to use. It is easier to learn if you do not have to unlearn some other VCS (Version Control System). (Other names for the same thing (in general) are CMS (Code Management System).

Git is free software, both as in free beer and as in freedom of use.

There are other free and commercial products similar to it.

If you need help learning it, look for a Linux User Group (LUG) or Linux consultant near your location.

Those tools work on a line basis to detect conflicts--as long as the content of the file is some variation on ASCII text, divided into lines, and interpretable by a human, a VCS should work. If I were trying to help you, the first think I'd do is look at one of the design files and confirm that the file is ASCII text, divided into lines, and interpretable by a human.

The "interpretable by a human" is sort of a flexible requirement--it only becomes an issue if there is a conflict in the files that a human must resolve. There are workarounds--in many cases, he can view each file and deduce the meaning of two conflicting lines.

Also, if the tool makes a directory of files, a VCS can handle that as well--that's their strong point.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Associate

In reply to #5

06/23/2011 10:07 AM

thanx dears..

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 35
In reply to #6

06/23/2011 10:22 AM

I recommend that you don't refer to people on CR4 as dears--you will foster ill-feelings toward yourself.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Register to Reply 7 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

ddk (1); rhkramer (2); shanii (2); Tornado (2)

Previous in Forum: Radius of Piping Elbow   Next in Forum: LPG and CNG Liquefaction

Advertisement