Previous in Forum: Space Suits: Silver or White?   Next in Forum: Maintaining the Tension on a Wire in Extreme Environment
Close
Close
Close
6 comments

Automatic Steam Trap Drain Point Location

07/24/2011 9:17 PM

Is the drain point on the upstream or on the downstream of the automatic steam trap? Thanks for your help.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 936

Re: Is the drain point on the upstream or downstream of the automatic steam trap?

07/24/2011 9:25 PM

I would think that it should be exactly where the paperwork says it should be. Or are you the kind of guy that believes that real men don't use paper.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 817

Re: Automatic Steam Trap Drain Point Location

07/25/2011 8:18 AM

Think it through.

1. What is the job of the trap?
  2. What is the job of the drain point?

The answer will drop out.

Good Answers: 1662

07/25/2011 11:08 AM

You ask some really "interesting" questions.

Do you understand the concept of "upstream" and "downstream", in relationship to the trap?

I'll help you a little. One is before the trap and one is after the trap. When you get this sorted out, the answer may come to you. If not, just let me know and I'll recommend some books that you may not have read yet.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer

In reply to #3

07/27/2011 2:26 AM

I know the "upstream" meaans "before" and the "downstream" means "after".

I suppose that we can know whether or not the automatic steam trap works out of order if the drain point is on the downstream of the automatic steam trap by opening the drain point to confirm that there is no steam leaked. But I'm told that it should be on the upstream, so I'm confused.

I'll appreciate it if you give me some clues or the answer.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 37

07/27/2011 1:04 PM

Steam traps will generally have manual blowdowns (drains) upstream of the trap to get rid of excess condensate during start-ups. Once the piping and traps are warmed up, the manual blowdowns are shut.

In reply to #5

08/02/2011 8:53 PM

Thanks for your help!

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 6 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

ChaoticIntellect (1); cruiser2009 (2); lyn (1); PWSlack (1); redfred (1)

Previous in Forum: Space Suits: Silver or White?   Next in Forum: Maintaining the Tension on a Wire in Extreme Environment
You might be interested in: Steam Traps, Drain Valves, Drains and Drain Systems

Advertisement