Previous in Forum: Solid State Drives vs. HDD   Next in Forum: Information on Power Logger for Wind Turbine Project
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Active Contributor

Thermal Glue Replacement

08/01/2011 12:15 AM

I have problem with my TX1000 HP notebook. i always do reheating the motherboard.

there is a suggestion that afer reheating i should put thermal glue on top of the chip.

But i don't have thermal glue here. i only found silicone compound that i think is not applicable for it.

Does anyone know what is the possible replacement for thermal glue? does any type of silicone ok?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Power-User

Good Answers: 9

Re: Thermal Glue Replacement

08/01/2011 11:16 PM

Are you sure that it is supposed to have thermal "glue" and not thermal "heat sink compound"? If the "glue" goes between the chip and a heat sink, then it should have heat sink compound placed between the chip and the heat sink to allow the heat from the chip to transfer to the heat sink which allows for more cross-sectional area to dissipate the unwanted heat away from the chip.

If this is your application, then silicone (as in silicone RTV) is not the right product for your application. Your product should be a white greasy compound if it is silicone based or a clear greasy salve-like compound (not sure if it is silicone based).

I hope this helps.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Active Contributor

In reply to #1

08/02/2011 12:06 AM

oh. i think your right!

I will put it between the chip and the heat sink (with fan).

thanks a lot. it really helps.

Can anyone suggest what brand of thermal heat sink compound best suits my tx1000?

Register to Reply
Power-User
Australia - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 22

08/02/2011 1:15 AM

Silicone Grease is what you need to use. It IS the "white greasy" compound referred to above. Dont know of a particular brand, but you should be able to source it through electronics parts outlets.

Power-User

Good Answers: 19
In reply to #3

08/02/2011 6:51 AM

Silicone grease is colorless and transparent. By itself, it doesn't conduct heat very well, but it is better than nothing. It reduces the thermal resistance between a component and its heat sink by filling in the microscopic voids in the zone of contact, effectively increasing the contact area.

Some heat sink compounds improve the thermal performance of silicone grease by mixing Zinc Oxide with it. Another type of heat sink compound uses finely divided silver in a dispersant. When applied, it has the consistency of thin mud, but it sets as a soft solid and excludes air from the interface so effectively that it becomes difficult to separate the component from the heat sink.

Thermoplastic heat sink pads are also used to improve heat conduction. There is no one best method, but some are better suited for a particular application than others.

Why not write or e-mail the manufacturer and ask for a recommendation? You aren't compelled to follow their advice, but someone at the company has given the issue some thought, and it's a good starting point.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Power-User
Australia - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 22
In reply to #4

08/03/2011 10:32 PM

Well said! Probably what I used to buy as "Silicone Grease", was in fact SG with zinc oxide mixed into it. I haven't used it for years, so am a bit out of the loop.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Member United States - Member - Army Vet in the aviation industry

Good Answers: 113

08/02/2011 7:59 AM

Arctic Silver is the brand I usually use.

See Here

There are other brands but I've never had an issue with this stuff. Non-electrically conductive, but can still be very messy to handle and cause capacitance issues if mishandled on pins and traces.

Hooker

Power-User

Good Answers: 5

08/04/2011 5:56 AM

Hi Jenuel, all that responded and said to use a heat sink compound are correct.

The heatsink compount asists the transfer of heat from the chip to the heatsink, without it your chip may fail. The heat sink compound that I use is "Unick" and it is a silicone based heat transfer compound, It works well and also has a good shelf life.

Best Regards

Joe

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

08/04/2011 11:04 AM

high guys,

thanks for your answers and suggestions.

for joe, is "unick" a brand or an adjective?

by the way if my english is not that great just forgive me ok :-) .....

i really like this site.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 8 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

bubbapebi (1); Hooker (1); jenuel (2); Joe Sparky (1); OldTechNewToys (2); RG2 (1)

Previous in Forum: Solid State Drives vs. HDD   Next in Forum: Information on Power Logger for Wind Turbine Project

Advertisement