Previous in Forum: Material Certificate Issue Change from EN10204-2.2 to EN10204-2.1   Next in Forum: Cleaning Tar from Etched Concrete
Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Hearts of Oak Popular Science - Paleontology - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 75

Home Brew Nuclear Fission

08/05/2011 3:53 AM

I was surprised this isn't in the News section yet ... ... mad scientists are still around! On the radio interview with Mr Handl I heard last night, he said he bought the Radium on eBay.

A Swedish man who tried to set up a nuclear reactor in his kitchen at home has admitted his plan was "crazy".

Richard Handl said he had just been "curious" and wanted to see if he would be able to split an atom.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14406766

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819

Re: Home Brew Nuclear Fusion

08/05/2011 4:04 AM

According to radio news reports this morning, the individual was arrested after melting a hole in his cooker and phoning the authorities for help.

Murder Mystery Weekend in Scandinavia, anyone?

United Kingdom - Member - Hearts of Oak Popular Science - Paleontology - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #1

Re: Home Brew Nuclear Fission

08/05/2011 4:10 AM

That was after the Radium, Beryllium and Americum mix he was boiling in Sulphuric Acid exploded....

Authorities are deciding whether to charge him under the Nuclear Safety laws. As of last night, he has still to appoint a lawyer...

News reports this morning said that the authorities could not confirm or deny whether had had achieved his aim of splitting the atom

08/05/2011 4:11 AM

Title should read FISSION.....

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646
In reply to #3

08/05/2011 7:30 AM

I guess you were confised.

/I thought original posters were able to change the titles of their posts. Have you tried?

In reply to #4

08/05/2011 7:56 AM

I looked but couldn't find an edit button Guess I could ask SavvyExtra....

United States - Member - Lifelong New Yorker Popular Science - Biology - Animal Science Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Technical Writer

Good Answers: 59
In reply to #5

08/05/2011 8:27 AM

You probably exceeded the 15 minute edit window. I've updated the title for you despite the misspelling of my user name.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 283
In reply to #3

08/05/2011 1:38 PM

So, does this mean that LynDoor™ Industries might be wise to discontinue development of our Mr. Fusion, and revive the shelved Mr. Fission?

It appears this chap has been able to achieve one of our noble goals. How do we get ahold of him?

Good Answers: 114
In reply to #8

08/05/2011 2:49 PM

I think I would have named Mr. Fission as Mrs. Fission, considering the action involved.

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918

Re: Home Brew Nuclear Fusion

08/05/2011 8:04 AM

In the US private fusion research is not illegal and there are a number of individuals that belong to the "The Club".

Fission is another matter.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 9

08/06/2011 1:21 AM

You don't suppose in all the conFusion that those in Sweden will come to the conclusion that the truth is stranger than Fission?

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

In reply to #10

08/06/2011 7:36 AM

I like this guy, he's punny.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #11

08/06/2011 8:21 AM

All wise-ass comments aside....

This silly Swede cannot achieve a nucear chain reaction because he is working with the wrong nuclear isotopes. Radium, Americanium (smoke detector materials) and others cannot sustain a chain reaction and generate large amounts of heat.

The only radioactive isotopes that have been turned into sizeable reactors are Uranium, Plutonium and Thorium.

Guru

In reply to #12

08/06/2011 12:02 PM

Very true, but, as they say, the guy may have a full six-pack - he just doesn't have the plastic thingy to hold it all together.

Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

Good Answers: 104
In reply to #13

08/06/2011 12:16 PM

In reply to #14

08/06/2011 1:23 PM

Needs some ribs to go with that beer.

Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1038

08/06/2011 2:34 PM
Register to Reply
Register to Reply 16 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Hero (4); Anonymous Poster (1); Doorman (1); English Rose (3); passingtongreen (1); PWSlack (1); RG2 (1); Rixter (1); SavvyExacta (1); StandardsGuy (1); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Material Certificate Issue Change from EN10204-2.2 to EN10204-2.1   Next in Forum: Cleaning Tar from Etched Concrete

Advertisement