Previous in Forum: Pressure Vessel Factory Inspection   Next in Forum: Active vs. Passive Dry Air Conditioning
Close
Close
Close
14 comments
Power-User

Stamping Thin Metallic Sheet

09/07/2011 12:23 PM

I sent to make some pieces to some workshop specialized in stamping or punched pieces. It is a metallic (SS316l) ring with a "U" shape (wall thickness=0,1mm=.004"). Medium diameter rounds 10mm (.04"). Curve radius of "U"=1mm(=.4"). I paid a half in advance. Now he called me to give me back the money because he failed because the material is so thin and gets broken, then he offered me me keep working on without warranties of succes. I asked him keep on working under my responsability and cost of the advanced money. Any help please..

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

Re: Stamping Thin Metallic Sheet

09/07/2011 3:52 PM

Do you have a job now? I thought you were a student.

Describe the present tooling and the process involved. No sense in re-inventing the wheel by suggesting things they've already tried.

Then, we may be able to help.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #1

09/07/2011 7:26 PM

I don't have any idea what they did until now but i know in none of workshops i tried worked with so thin SS sheet (in fact is not common size).The whole technic is new for me and nothing seems exact or predictible.I am not student but you made me feel much younger,i'll try keep learning as one.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - New Member Australia - Member - Torn and breading Engineering Fields - Nanoengineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 74

09/07/2011 4:46 PM

I wish we were sitting at a table and you could explain in detail what it is you are after.

It sounds like you are trying to recreate something that others make and because their product is too expensive you are trying to make it cheaper and are asking us how to do it.

Do you have an image of the thing you are trying to make? Or a drawing?

metallic (ss 316l) ring with a "U" shape (wall thickness=0,1mm=.004"

A ring is created when the length of the pipe reaches its thickness. After that it becomes a washer.

Maybe "U" shaped wedding rings?

Please explain, no rush, Ky.

In reply to #2

09/07/2011 7:33 PM

I would like too meet with you guys and share more than we use to.This don't exists in the market and i am trying to manufacture it.Is not a secret,in fact long time ago i exposed the idea of toroidal dynamic joint: piston plus metallic seal: the thread was not very popular,perhaps coupple posts..Hope pictures downhere helps..

Register to Reply
Power-User

09/07/2011 7:15 PM
Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1662
In reply to #3

09/07/2011 7:28 PM

You can't form this from a sheet. You will have to first cut out a washer of the proper dimensions.

Then, form it over a male tool. Wrinkles will always be a problem.

Once again, what has been done so far?

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #5

09/07/2011 7:39 PM

Next days i'll contact them again,for now:they cut washers as you said and now they will try cutting dishes first and then will cut the interior.Of course they made the male etc.but seems don't work..

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - New Member Australia - Member - Torn and breading Engineering Fields - Nanoengineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

In reply to #8

09/07/2011 7:48 PM

Heat might help but those dimensions are flimsy.

I have one of these in my hands. They would know all about it or could at least point you in the right direction.

In reply to #3

09/07/2011 7:32 PM

http://www.ldm-tuning.de/en/artikel-7234.htm

Maybe these guys can help. Thanks for the drawing. What is it for?

Good luck, Ky.

Anonymous Poster #1

09/11/2011 1:37 AM

use plenty of water solutable lubricate.

Register to Reply
Power-User

09/29/2011 9:14 AM

This is the best they could do...Shorter internal lip.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 243
In reply to #11

12/23/2011 11:52 AM

Was the stainless that you provided annealed? 316L can be deep drawn or formed without much difficulty. However, it does work harden. So question is was it annealled after the last cold working step performed on the metal? (In other words if it was cold drolled to final thickness was it annealled? If not, that may be a potential cause of the forming difficulties.

Is the tooling making this in one hit? Or more? Again, work hardening. Work hardening, work hardening.

Typical % elongation for this material as annealed is 69%; 42% as annealed and cold drawn 9 %. Calculate the max elongation of the part in the press and compare.

Milo

In reply to #12

12/23/2011 5:09 PM

Thanks a lot for your reply Milo.Is now an old thread of a design i quit for now (with defeat taste in my mouth).The workshop didn't "hits" literally, they used a hydraulic (so slow) tool and press the sample.the material used was provided by me, i think raw.They made these tests:i) cut dishes and press (one"hit"), ii) cut dishes with a hole before press, iii) and iv) same cases before but with a profile more "squared", less depth.I saw several pages about drawing (i didn't get anything) in internet where means, could be previously stated if work can be done or not and a way to, but the workshop on the contrary says is a question of several attemps.In some pages theory uses total surface don't change after drawing, in others volume don't.I made a lot of work thinking it would be easy and was a dissapointment to me.I said to myself ask Milo when i read your article.I'll consider your comments here when i face again this manufacture.Thanks again.-

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 243
In reply to #13

12/23/2011 5:43 PM

You're welcome. Milo

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); ferquiza (6); ky (3); lyn (2); Milo (2)

Previous in Forum: Pressure Vessel Factory Inspection   Next in Forum: Active vs. Passive Dry Air Conditioning

Advertisement