Previous in Forum: Power Plant   Next in Forum: How to Connect this Relay
Close
Close
Close
10 comments

Resin Embedded Components

10/06/2011 3:47 PM

What type of resin is used to embed/encase electrical components? I want to hold a mercury bulb at an exact position insde of an alluminum enclosure. I built a prototype using polyester resin and it worked the way I wanted it to. I know there is probably another resin that is better suited for production, just dont know what I'm looking for.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1663

Re: Resin Embedded Components

10/06/2011 3:56 PM

Lots of electrical components are embedded in epoxy resin. But polyester, polyurethane, acrylics, syntactic and poured-in-place foams, have all been used. Depends on how much protection you want to pay for.

I used 'em all during my 20 years in the aerospace electronics packaging industry.

Look for "potting compounds"

Here's a small selection.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Power-User
United Kingdom - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member

Good Answers: 36

10/07/2011 4:49 AM

As Lyn has said, potting compound is the way to go. However, if you are going into production, the mercury could be a problem as the use of mercury in products is banned or restricted in many regions.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918

10/07/2011 7:26 AM

I would start with Lyn's suggestion and then contact some manufacture's and ask for a field application engineer. They are tasked with working with customers to help them select the right product for their application.

Not only do you get professional advice, it is also free!

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 1663
In reply to #3

10/07/2011 10:27 AM

Yep,

These guys are always looking for new consumers for their resins.

Be sure they know if you have stress sensitive (glass) components. Cure shrinkage and thermal expansion and contraction should be considered.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 57

10/07/2011 8:28 AM

Assuming you don't require any special optical properties, and that the mercury bulb is glass, I suggest you first encapsulate or coat the bulb with a softer material like silicone rubber, or a foam material. This will minimize stress concentrations that can damage a glass envelope. After that, your choice of potting material will be less restrictive. Remember that potting materials generally shrink as they cure and can apply considerable stress to components.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 7

10/07/2011 8:38 AM

If it meets your need then only thing you need to work on can I decrease product cost by selecting cheaper resin. There is laundry list of resin people have used which works and from cost side I always prefered silane for on ground use and cost effectiveiIt repels water and makes me happy

10/07/2011 10:48 AM

Thanks everyone...I'm going to re-think this a little.

Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Old Member, New Association

Good Answers: 72

10/07/2011 11:11 AM

Actually glass is used more often than resin. It sounds like a tilt switch.

You might want to consider a device that has an air bubble inside a water filled chamber and some photo transmitter/receiver pair. This technology is used for wireless mouse inside a handheld remote controller.

Everybody seems to be afraid of mercury, yet it is all around us. Comes down with the rain from volcanic eruptions and fossil fuel combustion all the time. It is the alternative choices that have driven all the panic.

10/07/2011 4:21 PM

Yes, it is a tilt switch of sorts. It shuts down a function on a machine if the angle of operation is too great. I am working with a solid state inclinometer that I will be using on future machines. This mercury switch is just a tempory retrofit.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 57
In reply to #9

10/07/2011 6:18 PM

These tilt switches http://www.comus-intl.com/comustilttip.asp should be relatively insensitive to encapsulation stresses.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 10 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Hero (1); Chankley (1); lyn (2); Masyood (1); NotUrOrdinaryJoe (1); retrotech (2); welderman (2)

Previous in Forum: Power Plant   Next in Forum: How to Connect this Relay

Advertisement