Previous in Forum: Model Designing Software   Next in Forum: .pdf to Auto Cad Conversion
Close
Close
Close
4 comments
Power-User

Computer Virus Hits U.S. Drone Fleet

11/14/2011 4:09 PM

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/10/virus-hits-drone-fleet/
I was reading Wired.com and there was interesting but frightful story, how the US army drones has got a computer virus. Skynet anyone.
English is not my first language so please don't bite my head off for spelling or proper use of words. I thought this story is just so interesting i wanted you people to read it.
Thanks and greetings from Iceland.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 44

Re: Computer Virus Hits U.S. Drone Fleet

11/14/2011 7:22 PM

What very few of these sensationalized stories will tell you, the average reader, is that the "virus" was designed for use on the internet. None of the ports or exploits which could be used by the "virus" are used by/for the intended application or user since the drone fleet operates on a closed and classified network. (i.e., you cannot contact your host controller on a network which is not connected to the Global Information Grid.)

The "virus" was very likely planted through the simple act of moving a flash drive from an unclassified network to a classified one and dumping the "virus" through any one of various means.

Some military brass like to play this up in order to garner more funds for pet projects and such.

If there was a real-world threat to our military strategy I would surely hope some blow-hard three or four star general would keep his hole shut. If he can't then they are no worse than the wikileakers.

Register to Reply
Participant

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #1

11/15/2011 1:38 AM

I guess with regards to virus affecting computers there's always a way to clean it up, so I agree with cuba_pete, there's nothing to worry about..:)

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 93
In reply to #2

11/15/2011 4:27 AM

Welcome to the CR4 community gwynethF.

I note from the article that they say they have removed the virus but it keeps re-infecting so their clean up methods would not seem to be that good. It's a little worrying that this managed to slip past their anti-virus measures. No damage this time but who knows what's next....

Engineering Fields - Construction Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - Member - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Location: Latitude 38.701979 Longitude -90.439540 Coordinates 38.701979, -90.439540 N38°42.11874, W090°26.3724
Good Answers: 15
In reply to #1

11/15/2011 4:47 AM

Just goes to show that even people WHO SHOULD KNOW BETTER than to use a flash drive they have been using on a personal computer outside of their normal high security work environment which may have a virus are dumb enough to bring one into a in HIGH SECURITY facility and plug it into the system.

Makes you feel a little less like a dumb A%$ when you allow a virus to get into your own computer.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

cuba_pete (1); gwynethF (1); Nigh (1); scotchdrnkr (1)

Previous in Forum: Model Designing Software   Next in Forum: .pdf to Auto Cad Conversion

Advertisement