Previous in Forum: A Brave Step To Curb China's Influence   Next in Forum: Murphy Has a Beard! Lead-Free Solder Problems
Close
Close
Close
38 comments
Active Contributor

Reasons for Absence of Women Gurus in CR4

11/17/2011 5:04 AM

hey all,

i have been using this website for almost a year now and one thing i noticed is that the female gender is almost absent in this enlightening forum. There are/were few some months back, but now its all just empty. i even had told my female friends who had Graduated in electrical engineering to join Cr-4 but they said its no fun. Sadly they prefer facebook or linked-in than Cr-4. So is it just me or anyone else had a similar experience? or is there a possibility that they don't have enough practical experience/ knowledge to share their thoughts/ideas on this website. This is not a sexist remark. Sorry if it offended anyone.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467

Re: reasons for Absence of Women Guru's in CR-4

11/17/2011 5:52 AM

It's possible that there are some women around. It's also possible that women just have more fun things to do.

Those of us that love it here may be a little quirky too. I've tried to get male friends of mine on here, (engineers), and they think it's a bore.

In reply to #1

11/17/2011 6:06 AM

"Woman is a miracle of divine contradictions" Jules Michelet

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 144
In reply to #1

11/17/2011 11:52 AM

There are more declared women here than westerners realize, as was pointed out in a previous thread by one of our Indian friends - we don't recognize the female names.

I also agree this place is not for everyone - and a woman who is 'quirky' enough to enjoy the content and companionship at CR4 probably wouldn't benefit by announcing she is female.

It's true we have some women here - English Rose and Sue come to mind - who are accepted and aren't subjected to any prejudicial treatment afaict. (Other than threads like this - "absence of women gurus" pretty much ignores them, doesn't it? ...) In fact, every time we have a thread discussing the "absence of women" there are guys who make prejudicial remarks, pretty well answering the question - why would a woman who actually likes this place, be better off gender anonymous.

We seem to assume that women in engineering or the trades who might come to CR4 are not carrying a history of being treated with prejudice. I think that is a mistake. If women are more comfortable being gender-anonymous here to avoid the attitude, well that's alright. Hope there are lots of em! Enjoy yourselves, gals!!

Anonymous Poster #1

11/17/2011 7:21 AM

Everybody knows the kind of toys boys prefer.Its all moving parts of toy cranes,car,bus rather than barbie doll.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Hearts of Oak Popular Science - Paleontology - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 75
In reply to #3

11/18/2011 10:12 AM

PMSL.

Never had a barbie (never wanted one). Aged 5, I picked out a wood working set as a present for myself. I have a clockwork railway and a Matchbox motorway set. I would set them up together and build bridges from bricks and sticklebricks.

Aged about 8, I was identified as "special needs" (the bright end) and when given boxes etc to build something, built a classic JCB digger. Funny thing was, I didn't intend to build one. I just played with the egg boxes and stuff and that's what it turned into....I seem to remember the teacher looking slightly concerned.

She also taught us ship navigation and how to take bearings and back bearings.

The family spent summer weekends at Classic bus rallies. I helped Dad fix the car (when Mum would let me!)

Quite frankly, I never stood a chance! Qualified Mechie, working in the Heavy Duty sector...with full HGV licence!

Now. Who wanted to discuss women in engineering and gurus on CR4???!

Good Answers: 128

11/17/2011 7:41 AM

How do we know? Many of the usernames are made up and could be either sex. Reasonable assumption though.

In reply to #4

11/17/2011 8:02 AM

I know for a fact that there are female moderators, so I try to keep the potty mouth in check...........................I'm usually successful.

Good Answers: 1661

11/17/2011 8:21 AM

Why would someone who already knows everything want to come here and play?

Now that'll get the ladies out in force.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Hearts of Oak Popular Science - Paleontology - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #6

11/18/2011 10:28 AM

It the philanthropic amongst us that come out to teach....

Good Answers: 1722

11/17/2011 8:35 AM

Female geeks?? It's almost an oxymoron,,,or perhaps it is....Sorta like albino roaches,,,I've heard they exist,,,but I've never actually seen one....Oh yes there are female engineers and scientists and other geeky fields that women work in,,,but they don't seem to actually revel in it, the way men sometimes do...This is most certainly a product of society, where women are taught from birth that they must be attractive to men, and there's nothing less attractive than a know-it-all woman...On the other hand men, who are knowledgeable, are likely to be good providers...These type of stereotypical misnomers are changing, but as we all know, change, in society, is slow...Having said all that, I would like to close with a little reminder,,,,not all women on line are women, and not all men are men...

Good Answers: 129

Re: Reasons for Absence of Women Gurus in CR4

11/17/2011 1:02 PM

Perhaps when you have been here a bit longer, you might become aware of who is what gender. And by then, you may realize gender is irrelevant when it comes to knowledge and expertise.

"they said its no fun" could be a way of saying they find much of CR4 too stupid to be bothered with.

Or they see remarks like "that they don't have enough practical experience/ knowledge to share their thoughts/ideas" as an ingrained male attitude.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 83
In reply to #9

11/17/2011 9:25 PM

what he said.

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

11/18/2011 1:51 AM

Two other gurus: Jaxy and Savvy Exacta.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 83
In reply to #11

11/18/2011 6:57 AM

and English Rose.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

11/18/2011 10:13 AM

Two mentions! Does that mean I'm twice as good? Or just twice as loud?!

11/18/2011 10:26 AM

As a number of others have said, it depends on which bits of CR4 people (male or female) see. There's a lot of rubbish gets posted. There are a lot of facinating and informative threads. Finding what you want means searching...

There are a bunch of groupings (cliques is a bit strong) and a stack of in-jokes. Women are less into breaking into these things than men IME.

Forums and threads are funny things. Ones you think will get lots of attention don't, or wander off the point. Others that sound trivial, like "how to break a cast iron bath", take on a life technique all of their own...

When I joined CR4 (3 web incarnations ago after about 3 years of the GlobalSpec newsletter), I wanted to make two things clear: my nationality and my gender. It's worked to my satisfaction and I have rarely had gender-specific insults here and those have been dealt with swiftly.

Who cares whether you've got dangly bits or bumps in the blouse...share what you know, ask about what you don't. That's what CR4 is all about.

Oh. And pretending you're a furry animal, a flower or eat vast amounts of carrots. Or live in a warren.

Anonymous Poster #2
In reply to #15

11/18/2011 10:34 AM

yabbut, what if one has both dangly bits and bumps in the blouse?

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Good Answers: 28
In reply to #17

11/18/2011 10:53 PM

I'm sure there's a gynecomastia forum "that's just dien' to meet you"

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

11/24/2011 7:21 PM

Too bad this news item came up a few days after the thread:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/discoblog/2011/11/21/ncbi-rofl-the-mere-anticipation-of-an-interaction-with-a-woman-can-impair-mens-cognitive-performance/

We don't want anyone's cogs impaired here. Henceforth, when answering questions, please pretend that all "female" avatars, including moderators and OP's are males.

Good Answers: 129
In reply to #19

11/24/2011 8:08 PM

In reply to #19

11/25/2011 5:07 AM

I can adapt the HUMS (Helicopter Usage Monitoring System) for ground-based, human cog continuous monitoring duty...just to put everyone's mind at rest.

Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 36

11/28/2011 8:07 PM

"i even had told my female friends who had Graduated in electrical engineering to join Cr-4 but they said its no fun. Sadly they prefer facebook or linked-in than Cr-4."

That isn't a gender thing, it seems to be an age thing. Younger people are generally more interested in social networking/media, not just females.

"or is there a possibility that they don't have enough practical experience/ knowledge to share their thoughts/ideas on this website. This is not a sexist remark."

It is a pretty sexist remark...

I think the point is, and most people probably already think this... you don't know if someone is male or female just by looking at their name. That is the beauty of the internet, no one really knows who anyone is and you can act how you want without much consequence. I am sure that there are a number of people that are assumed male or female based on their responses. There are feminine males just like there are masculine females, you can never tell gender over the internet.

Also, even if you don't (think you) hear from them, it doesn't mean that they aren't listening...

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

In reply to #22

11/28/2011 9:34 PM

Hey, Jaxxy. Nice to hear from you for a change!

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #23

11/30/2011 7:29 PM

You knew I would come back to support women engineers

Guru

In reply to #28

11/30/2011 10:26 PM

Sure... but given the title of the OP, you could have given us a reason for your absence! I'm assuming you've been up to something interesting.

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #22

11/29/2011 1:35 AM

I know I'm looking like a creep. but that is a GA. Slacky will back me up.

In reply to #24

11/29/2011 3:57 AM

Looking like? That's the least of your worries.

If it looks like a creep, sounds likes a creep and slimes likes a creep....it must be a squirrel.

(PSST: Jaxy! watch out, he's after something. Pesky Squibble)

In reply to #25

11/29/2011 10:19 AM

You wanna see What Ducky and Ed just did to me. I can bide my time

In reply to #24

11/30/2011 7:26 PM

Why does giving me a GA make you a creep?

Guru

In reply to #27

08/20/2015 8:08 AM

Finally got out from under the weight of PMs....

Looks like the divisive common language has struck again.

In the UK "creep" can mean both a slimy horrid person (generally a male), as it does in the US, and also someone who sucks up to someone in authority.

Kris used it in the second sense, I deliberately misunderstood and used it in the first, in order to poke fun at him, making a pun.

The poking fun at Kris, specifically, was of course a shibboleth of one of those groupings I mentioned in an earlier post.

Lord: Engineering knowledge and experience; social psychology commentary; and joke analysis. What a catch I am!

In reply to #31

08/20/2015 12:17 PM

I was enjoying the confusion !

In reply to #32

08/25/2015 8:14 AM

After 4 years, I figured no-one but you would notice!

In reply to #33

08/27/2015 3:41 AM

ROFL

United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 69

08/08/2015 1:45 AM

Guess it's better late than never, just wished I seen this thread while is was active and not 4 years later. I am a male and it does irks the crap out of me to see a question or a statement addressed to males only. There are and still are some very knowledgeable women on this forum. There was one time when a "new comer" introduced himself(?) and proceeded to pose a question towards the male gender. I politely welcome him to CR4, a place where even a woman could give you the best answer to your question! Ideal Smith might remember it? Just I find it so condescending to limit oneself when he's the one here asking the question, hoping 'someone' might have an answer for him.

Here in the States women left the kitchen back during WWII and don't think any of them have looked back! Go forward and don't look back, it's not worth it, no matter what country you or they are from.

08/30/2015 3:03 PM

Has it really been 4 years?

In reply to #35

09/03/2015 2:54 AM

It only matters if put in a perspective. A mayfly might think that an aweful long time, but it's just the blink of an eye for a Croc.

In reply to #35

10/01/2015 8:08 AM

Four and a half if you're a pedant.........if you believe IHS's date system

In reply to #37

10/12/2015 5:13 PM

JD is rather good at noticing stats, so I think you may find 4 1/2 to be incorrect if we seek exactitude . That said, the margin of error is insignificant compared to a certain shop I know*.

* For anybody puzzzled, 2m = 6 1/2" (according to some bloke in a local shop). Don't ask any more detail - IHS havn't enough server capacity for the ranting reply that would happen ! 'Brickdust on foerhead is the usual Brit expression.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

34point5 (2); Anonymous Poster (2); artsmith (4); Codemaster (1); dj95401 (1); English Rose (9); harrybrown (1); Jaguar (1); Jaxy (3); kramarat (3); Kris (6); lyn (1); SolarEagle (1); sue (2); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: A Brave Step To Curb China's Influence   Next in Forum: Murphy Has a Beard! Lead-Free Solder Problems

Advertisement