Previous in Forum: Solar Collector   Next in Forum: Capacitor That Serve For Domestic Appliances
Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

Geothermal Energy

12/05/2011 6:05 AM

geothermal energy seems to be the obvious solution to nuclear, fossil fuel, and impractical, undeveloped green energy. hydro power plants also have dramatic effects on the enviromenent. i don't see a down side to geothermal energy.

i think we already have the technology to produce geothermal power on a large scale basis, but it's rarely mentioned and developement is under funded.

i believe our government is turning a blind eye in developing geothermal power because it may put enormous and powerful companies in the power producing industries in a position where future exploration and developement substancies will dwindle as geothermal energy takes off. not to meantion the trillions of dollars they have already invested in a losing cause.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 832

Re: geothermal energy

12/05/2011 6:27 AM

Geothermal energy is already the norm in places where it can be readily harvested, such as Iceland and New Zealand, among others.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #1

12/05/2011 7:42 AM

i may be wrong, but i thought geothermal heat is available anywhere on earth. i realize that there are hot spots nearer to the surface of the earth in certain area, but there are drilling rigs capable of drilling 1,000's of feet to extract oil and gas. they're sinking holes well over a mile deep in pennsylvania in search of natural gas. off shore rigs are capable of going much farther.

what would be the temerature at the bottom of 10,00 -20,00 foot hole near a fault line?

developing a drilling rig capable of reaching these depths would seem to be much simpler than building an off shore oil rig.

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
In reply to #2

12/05/2011 7:44 AM

OK.

Invoke economic considerations and see what happens in each case.

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #3

12/05/2011 9:42 AM

your answer to my question makes abloutely no sense. you don't have any meaningful input. nor does the government for that matter.

Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376
In reply to #4

12/05/2011 12:55 PM

Geothermal power has advantages but it has two big disadvantages that have been holding it back

1) It is expensive compared to other forms of power generation

2) It is site specific

Like hydro power, for optimum return on investment there are limited places you can place geothermal plants. New technologies are being developed and tested to increase the number of potentially economical viable sites as well as advances in lower infrastructuren and running costs (but you won't see this news unless you go looking for it in the engineering and scientific news sites on the internet).

We have large quantities of geothermal potential down here in New Zealand but few plants, mainly because of the excessive infrastructure costs compared to (say) natural gas plants (which we have plenty of gas for and are fairly clean compared to coal).

Currently wind power is the big environmental thing down here (as well as else where in the world), mainly again because of the increased number of sites it can be placed compared to geothermal plants.

I commission windfarms but prefer geothermal plants, but if they are to expensive and you don't have access to the required sites to build them (don't get me started about the resource consent act and the construction approval processes) what are you going to do?

Rest assured geothermal is being quiletly improved in the background as a viable environmentally friendly alternative to coal and oil fired power plants.

In reply to #4

12/07/2011 3:12 AM

Please feel free, together with Anonymous Poster #1, to carry out research towards generating schemes and estimates elsewhere, then.

Good Answers: 125
In reply to #4

12/15/2011 4:38 PM

Well getting the government involved is not likely to make things cheaper.

By the way, are you AP1 in an uncloaked state?

Anonymous Poster #2
In reply to #4

03/01/2012 12:19 AM

Dirtieduck, I think you are the Anonymous poster-1.

Guru

Good Answers: 16
In reply to #2

12/05/2011 11:16 AM

Not exactly accurate in all cases....

You have something called string weight to deal with offshore, so if you begin a well at (lets say) 1000 meters, you have this string weight to deal with before you even start a hole.

Now a days companies like Weathorford are using some pretty impressive land rigs to reach very deep locations here onshore in Mexico. I have toured the rigs and must say they are impressive. Doesnt even resemble a conventional drilling rig!

Like the very inteligent poster says, run the numbers. It will become clear as mud as we say in the drilling industry...

Guru

Good Answers: 13
In reply to #2

12/29/2011 11:43 AM

no, there are just a few places on earth where you can access temperatures high enough to make electricity.

Guru

Good Answers: 129

Re: Geothermal Energy

12/06/2011 5:26 AM

If you don't see downsides to geothermal you have not researched how it is done - especially when remote from a natural leak.

It is quite difficult and expensive to find the right strata combinations, temperature/pressures/distances/porosity and lack of nasty stuff that can dissolve in steam and/or eat the piping/plant.

It is 'site sensitive', quite high maintenance and so far from a 'universal answer'.

Good Answers: 14

12/22/2011 10:48 PM

In the 60's NASA engineers designed a solar panel to be constructed in a starionary orbit that was 1/2 mile by 1 mile in size that could generate enough electricity to power the entire world (1960's version).

No takers?

Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376
In reply to #10

01/02/2012 3:31 PM

That (and variants such as the solar reflector that redirects sunlight to extend summer and hence increase crop growth) have been re-looked in to over the past few decades as technology has developed and people have re-tried to make the ideas work or economical (have a quick internet search for the latest articles).

Solar panels and associated equipment are still hopelessly inefficient (a system) but the solar reflector idea was nice, just too expensive.

Good Answers: 14

01/02/2012 6:34 PM

I have installed multi-ton HVAC system in SW Florida using two water wells, pumping up from one, through the compressor units and back into the other well for cooling large homes over 4000 sq. ft.

The wells were ~200 feet deep and about 100 feet apart.

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 13
In reply to #13

03/01/2012 10:15 AM

wrong geothermal, the poster was taking about high temperature formations that generate power. You geothermal doesn't generate 1 drop of energy, it leessens the amount used.

Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Power-User

Location: OHIO, tri-State design and installation, and travel nationally and consults also are international
In reply to #15

11/14/2013 9:29 AM

no "geothermal" produces, geothermal just "EXISTS" and "IS" and is of any energy that was already there before a cooler material was placed in a warmer material location

what is "lessened" by the energy required to get out or use any "geothermal" heat transfer or whatever at what ever distance below grade?- -- "deep" compared to a 6ft human, or shallow near-grade, whatever...?

scale, scale, scale...

as far as "people who want to profit" it is about 76% free energy resulting from heat pump exchanges, so why not figure how to make that 86% or 96% "free exchange" in a productive and positive engineering attitude?

www.chillitchillers.com does, along with now 5 dozen other manufacturers, and growing...

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

129CBRider (2); 34point5 (1); Anonymous Poster (2); durtieduck (1); jack of all trades (2); JP76 (1); PWSlack (3); Tim in Mexico (1); vicini (2); WJMFIRE (1)

Previous in Forum: Solar Collector   Next in Forum: Capacitor That Serve For Domestic Appliances

Advertisement