Previous in Forum: Ball Technic System for Condenser Tube Cleaning   Next in Forum: Deep Sea Trench Generators
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Associate
Indonesia - Member - About Me

Tension Strength of BOLT

03/07/2012 7:03 PM

I found means of bolts code A4-70, thats mean bolt have tension strenght 700MPa, yield strenght 450 MPa,

now, I want to know, Why tension strenght of bolt better than yield strenght of bolt,likes olt A4-70 above??

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1666

Re: Tension Strength of BOLT

03/07/2012 8:21 PM

I don't know. Let us know when you figure it out.

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 15

03/07/2012 8:49 PM

"Tension strength" is the load at which the bolt will break. "Yield strength" is the value at which the bolt will start to deform. So, when you start loading the bolt it will start deforming at 450MPa and will break at 700MPa. Hope this helps.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 4)
Power-User

Good Answers: 20
In reply to #2

03/08/2012 3:37 AM

If you see the sress-strain diagrame, you will find that small amount of plastic deformation happens at lower load then actual tensile strength of the material, which increases after this plastic difformation due to strain hardening. However material fails at considerable lower load but at very high value of strain. At tensile stregnth material is not suppose to fail but at this load, plastic deformation starts set in.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194

03/07/2012 9:08 PM

This does not seem hard to understand. Here is a question for you: "Why would a bolt NOT deform (albeit perhaps imperceptibly) before it breaks?"

Location: Commissariat de Police, Nouvions, occupied France, 1942.
Good Answers: 76
In reply to #3

03/08/2012 5:02 AM

Er, if it were made of a brittle, inappropriate material?

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194
In reply to #5

03/08/2012 11:35 PM

Inappropriate how, private?

Even so, tension strength would equal yield strength; it would not be less.

Think about it, princess!

Good Answers: 114
In reply to #3

03/08/2012 9:21 AM

I was working at a refinery in the early sixties and there was a rash of bolts being broken by the pipe fitters. They complained to the distributor and he exploded, "I told you that you must use a torque wrench with these bolts. But you knew better didn't you" (I have understated his actual words). It turned out that this problem was not unusual, in tests they found out that with normal steel bolts, the fitters "feel" the yield and stop there. You cannot feel the yield point on alloy bolts, the transition is smooth. Because they didn't feel the yield, the fitters kept on torquing till the bolts broke.

Edit. Ooops, I should have made this OT.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

avasco73 (1); Crabtree (1); lyn (1); Mikerho (2); Mukesh0861 (1); passingtongreen (1)

Previous in Forum: Ball Technic System for Condenser Tube Cleaning   Next in Forum: Deep Sea Trench Generators

Advertisement