Previous in Forum: What Makes Turbine Output Difference Between 50 Hz and 60 Hz?   Next in Forum: Problem with PW Loop Water
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Active Contributor

How to Bend Pipe 28" for Flow Gas in Workshop, Not in Pipe Company

03/21/2012 10:31 PM

know i as drafter in once once of consultant engineering consultant. this time i design pipeline for flow gas..
in my job i find pipe bending untill 30o. im really confuse, how to made this bending in workshop area.
so far i know, just the pipe company is can made this bending..
not in workshop area..
but my boss still say it was made in the field...

i need expalin about it from plumbers who is have a lot of experience in piping area...

urgent answer is waiting.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 1751

Re: how to bend pipe 28" for flow gas in workshop...not in pipe company

03/21/2012 10:44 PM

You need a better translator...I'm just guessing here, but you want to bend a 28" pipe at a 30ยบ angle, is that right?? ...and it's for a gas pipeline....is this Stainless steel???...wouldn't you just cut and weld it??

In reply to #1

03/22/2012 2:43 PM

cut and weld it?
to my knowledge. in oil&gas if jointed pipe with welding method is not permit, the arc is not smooth. its can resist the flow.

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 783

03/22/2012 12:31 AM

Ask your boss; maybe he knows how they did it. Maybe they mitered it rather than bent it.

Power-User

Good Answers: 20

03/22/2012 1:48 AM

For gas supply lines very long radius bends are used. I seen 15 degree bend in 24 inch pipe line for natural gas service prepared in approx. 12 mtr length. Complete pipe was heated using heating pads. Rigging fixtures were made and marking was done on the floor. Two ends on the pipe were held as per marking using fixtures and from the centre point of the pipe, pipe was pulled using chain block. Thick plate strap was put on the pipe to eliminate stress concentration. Thining observed was negligible.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

Good Answers: 19
In reply to #3

03/23/2012 9:09 AM

Process can be performed but it does take careful thought and planning to perform. It is a project that is not for the faint of heart, because the heat involved and the rigging forces involved are very large and are applied for a long period of time. Procedure as I imagine it (I have only seen photos in old books) would have required several shifts of work.

Imagine heating the 24"-28" pipe cherry red in holding blocks. Imagine the forces to carefully pull one end of the pipe so it will bend carefully around a mandrel so the shape and thickness are not adversely affected. It can be and has been done, but expect a big price tag to do it. Lots of energy for the heat and the pulling, lots of time in labor to heat carefully and pull slowly.

Good Answers: 131

Re: How to Bend Pipe 28" for Flow Gas in Workshop, Not in Pipe Company

03/22/2012 5:20 PM

You didn't mean 28 mm, not inch, by any chance? 28 mm OD copper pipe is standard in Europe. 28 inch pipe takes some bending, specially in the field, and it's hardly a job for plumbers. Ref to plumbers also suggests 28mm copper.

Good Answers: 131

04/06/2012 5:19 AM

Come on, supraba - is it 28" or 28mm?

In reply to #7

04/07/2012 1:35 PM

pipe 28"

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 8 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Codemaster (2); Mukesh0861 (1); Ried (1); SolarEagle (1); supraba (2); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: What Makes Turbine Output Difference Between 50 Hz and 60 Hz?   Next in Forum: Problem with PW Loop Water

Advertisement