Previous in Forum: How Important is the "Prestige" of Your Undergrad Degree?   Next in Forum: Electrical Designing Teaching Institutions in India
Close
Close
Close
18 comments
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376

Give A Man A Fish And You Feed Him For A Day...

04/11/2012 4:05 PM

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb

Many of the questions asked CR4 can be answered with a simple internet search, yet many people don't know how (which is odd because they found CR4, which in many cases is far harder than putting the exact question into an internet search engine with the answer popping up in the first or second hit).

Now, it is all well and good to point people to the google search page, Wikipedia or some other vague place like "look on the internet", but are there any good sites on the internet that people could be directed to to teach them the basics of internet searching so they can answer their own questions both now and in the future?

I spent 9 years at University (and a few more at college) getting the tools and base knowledge to assist in my engineering career and yet my training in one of the most useful tools (the internet) was almost entirely self-taught. Sure training on Math-Cad was nice but I don't use it nearly as much as the internet. Basic internet search training including relevant search and content sites (specific to your profession) should be taught in the first year of any scientific or engineering course in my opinion (or have things changed since then).

Yes a lot of internet searching is basic common sense but there are many tips and tricks that aren't taught you need to learn and pickup to sift through the ever-growing amount of data to separate fact from fantasy and to find that ever elusive answer, part, data sheet or circuit diagram FAST (or at all). Time is money to an employer after all.

What are other peoples views on this subject?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

Re: Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.........

04/11/2012 4:21 PM

How to Search the Internet Effectively should be required reading.

I usually include this link in all new posts that seem to want us to do the legwork.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467

04/11/2012 4:25 PM

I had to use the Dewey decimal system and card catalogues for any research on anything...........after physically going to the library. Anybody that can't figure out how to do an internet search should steer clear of engineering or science................there will be nothing but heartache ahead.

Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 282

04/11/2012 4:26 PM

If you teach a Doorman to fish he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day. CR4 Proverb

Good Answers: 1662
In reply to #3

04/11/2012 4:29 PM

I could probably teach you how to play golf. You don't need a boat for that.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 243
In reply to #3

04/26/2012 10:15 PM

I'll buy that! Milo

Good Answers: 1728

04/11/2012 4:30 PM

I absolutely agree, the internet should be taught as a subject, with the basics covered first year, and progressively more complicated tasks on the internet, until you can do anything, run any program, find anything, contact anyone, run a business, do your banking, taxes, start a family, raise your children, find a home , get insurance, master internet security, pick out a computer, build a system...so on and on and on...

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646
In reply to #5

04/11/2012 4:52 PM

In ten years, today's kids probably won't bother with the internet per se. They'll say, 'Siri, what can you tell me about making electricity from magnets..."

In reply to #6

04/11/2012 5:09 PM

Good one.......................but the computer will be named lyn.

In reply to #9

04/11/2012 5:47 PM

No, the computer will just be quoting lyn....

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376
In reply to #11

04/11/2012 8:14 PM

Lynipedia?

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646
In reply to #11

04/11/2012 9:07 PM

Siri will say "Lyn wants you to do your own d@mn homework"?

Lyn's everywhere, isn't he.

In reply to #13

04/12/2012 7:33 AM

Omnipresent and forever...............................there's no place to hide. If you're stupid, lyn will find you.

Good Answers: 88

04/11/2012 4:55 PM

Well, no wonder it's a Chinese proverb, since the hidden (or newer) version is: ".... teach me to fish and I 'll wipe out every fish in your lake" S.M.

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918
In reply to #7

04/11/2012 5:00 PM

I think there was another one, too: "Build a man a fire and he will be warm for the night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for life."

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

04/11/2012 5:44 PM

Eat life or it eats you....

Guru
India - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 163

Re: Give A Man A Fish And You Feed Him For A Day...

04/15/2012 8:32 AM

If the OP hasn't done any internet search at all, many people will tell him to do that, so i usually don't comment.

If i feel that (a) the OP is sincere and deserves help and (b) the internet search throws up half a billion pages in a few milliseconds which will leave the OP bewildered and (c) i know the specific weblink where he can learn how to fish, so to speak, i give that link in my response. But i have to be convinced that he is sincere. No anonymous posters, no smart-alecks, etc.

Engineering Fields - Petroleum Engineering - Rig Electrician United States - Member - the Oil Patch Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - Drives & Gen's Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - Drive Control Popular Science - Cosmology -

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #15

04/19/2012 6:05 PM

YES you do kv, and should have more GA's for it. just used the beer and foam pic you posted to help teach KVAR & KW on a rig i was on

India - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 163
In reply to #16

04/19/2012 9:30 PM

Wow! i am glad it helped ! A little humor goes a long way ! Thanks for the kind words, they are much better than a GA

For example, you will never forget Pythagoras theorem if you just read this one once :

There was an Indian Chief, and he had three squaws, and kept them in three teepees. When he would come home late from hunting, he would not know which teepee contained which squaw, since it was dark. He went hunting one day, and killed a hippopotamus, a bear, and a buffalo. He put the a hide from each animal into a different teepee, so that when he came home late, he could feel inside the teepee and he would know which squaw was inside.
Well after about a year, all three squaws had children. The squaw on the bear had a baby boy, the squaw on the buffalo hide had a baby girl. But the squaw on the hippopotamus had a girl and a boy. So what is the moral of the story?
The squaw on the hippopotamus is equal to the sum of the squaws on the other two hides.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Hero (1); Doorman (1); jack of all trades (1); kramarat (3); kvsridhar (2); kwcharlie (1); lyn (2); Milo (1); SimpleMind (1); SolarEagle (3); Usbport (2)

Previous in Forum: How Important is the "Prestige" of Your Undergrad Degree?   Next in Forum: Electrical Designing Teaching Institutions in India

Advertisement