Previous in Forum: Electrical Designing Teaching Institutions in India   Next in Forum: Reg, BOE Exams in kerala
Close
Close
Close
19 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 1

Back to Study

04/27/2012 5:06 AM

Hello to the community ( there are no politics there)!

Lets say that you were for 10 years in a boat with out been able to get that books and science notes and you were not given time to practice the maths and phisics... But now you return home and need to get the lessons back to memory! From were to begin and what kind of study suggestions you could give?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Active Contributor

Re: Back to Study

04/27/2012 6:16 AM

if i would have to re-start my education where i forgot everything, then i will start with

1. calculus and application of calculus in real life.

2. study of fluid mechanics, heat transfer, mass transfer, and seperation process. ( ever wondered that coffee making is a process of leaching ? what is it actually ? )

3. then some hands on electrical and electronics would be good.

so basically buy PERRY'S CHEMICAL ENGINEERING HANDBOOK, as it is a perfect book for all engineering branches. study it slowly. give time. and enjoy it like some old wine.

Good Answers: 30
In reply to #1

04/28/2012 9:07 AM

Thanks very much, I just got a copy on Ebay for $18 delivered.

Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467

04/27/2012 7:31 AM

It all depends on the reasons for wanting to relearn stuff. If you just want to refresh, post #1 has it pretty well covered. If you want to turn the knowledge into money, find out what fields have the best job opportunities and only study the things that pertain to those fields of work.

India - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

04/27/2012 8:15 AM

Start reading "books for dummies".

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1682

04/27/2012 10:49 AM

I'd retire and live on the royalties from the personal appearances, endorsements I'd be making for survival gear that I used, endorsements for the boat I was on and book and movie deals. Not to mention the political endorsements I would make, given my new-found celebrity status.

Of course, you realize that what you suggest is a total fantasy.

And, politics are everywhere!

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Power-User

In reply to #4

05/02/2012 10:05 AM

Jiiiiiiiiiiiiii!! My life is everywhere! May be so ( the suggestion) but it made a lot of sound! Have a nice day you all !

In reply to #4

05/04/2012 4:42 AM

and what I meant about the politics (community≠communism)! that´s all

Good Answers: 114

04/27/2012 3:39 PM

I'd get a computer and look things up on Wiki.

Good Answers: 1682
In reply to #5

04/27/2012 3:58 PM

Why bother with Wiki when you could just ask CR4?

Guru

Good Answers: 114
In reply to #6

04/27/2012 4:38 PM

People would make fun of me and give me wrong answers

India - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #7

04/27/2012 10:04 PM

You can't see it among us(Indians) because we are broad-minded. No offence

Register to Reply
Guru
Panama - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 213

04/28/2012 1:14 AM

1. I spent ten years alone on a sail boat.

2. Getting back up to speed technically was not nearly as much a challenge as getting back up to speed on the social graces.

3. The symbols used in modern Calculus texts look nothing at all like the symbols we used when i was studying calculus. The laws are the same, they just changed the way they write them.

4. For general studies, nothing beats MIT's OpenCourseWare.

5. A really good place for basic electronics is All About Circuits. Perhaps a little basic for someone educated as an EE, but includes most of what you need to hack simple circuits and run simulations in SPICE.

Power-User

Good Answers: 17

04/28/2012 1:16 AM

Bone up on fuel alternatives, power electronics particularly related to automotive applications, heat transfer and insulation problems, applications from DNA sequencing, optics with lasers with applications to computers, home economics (finance), and communication theory plus associated statistical theory, materials and processes particularly composites. Forget nuclear physics, steam engines, solar energy (unless you are going off-grid).

First year uni physics, stat maths, economic and financial maths, chemical engineering process maths, biology. Get hold of basic Freshman texts, second-hand of course, (no need to pay big dollars to fatten the publishers), and Schaum Outline texts.

Make sure you know how to design and use a spreadsheet and the functions available.

Read the lay press to see what people are thinking about eg Popular Mechanics and other Popular magazines, New Scientist (English), Scientific American (USA), the better newspapers. The internet is OK if you look at known reliable sources. Hopefully you have enough life experience to know bull**** when you see it.

Consider very carefully what the economists and government money controllers say. Do your own research before deciding where the truth lies.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

Good Answers: 22

04/28/2012 3:35 AM

I left school walking straight into a job which required none of the skills learnt at school. 21 years later, I went to Uni to study these subjects. It was amazing how quickly the things I had learnt all those years before came back! I had learnt more of some subjects than the younger ones in the class, so could aid some of their studies and they could teach me how to use a computer.

04/28/2012 3:57 PM

hello there,i could suggest that the easiest part to begin is learn some basic algebra to have some drill on worded problems,after that take some of basics in trigonometry regarding trigononometric function and relation to phytagorean theorem then try to solve any problems related to it.try to searc in the internet regarding the subject matter, then after that you could start you start to read on physics. its been related to the two i mention earlier.by the way have fun to get on reading and analysis..

goodluck..

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - New Member Australia - Member - Torn and breading Engineering Fields - Nanoengineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 74

04/28/2012 4:43 PM

That's what happened to me just that the boat was an Island. As Lyn states joining CR4 would give anyone a leg up. It has helped me in many ways. It has even assisted me understanding the American political psyche better.

As for books? If no other books are available the one in front of you will do just fine.

In reply to #14

05/03/2012 5:33 AM

Yes, I do have some good texts...!

Hobbies - Musician - New Member Australia - Member - Torn and breading Engineering Fields - Nanoengineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 74
In reply to #16

05/03/2012 6:11 AM

How good

05/09/2012 6:13 AM

I am not a telecom geek, but for a starter a good and simple suggestion to start the practice gents (and ladies)

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

cwarner7_11 (1); diagon123 (1); electronick (4); GM1964 (1); hithuanand (2); kramarat (1); ky (2); lyn (2); passingtongreen (2); PFR (1); Phaddy (1); XAS35 (1)

Previous in Forum: Electrical Designing Teaching Institutions in India   Next in Forum: Reg, BOE Exams in kerala

Advertisement