Previous in Forum: PLC Digital Output Card is It Only Give 500mA?   Next in Forum: What is 2 wires signal and 3 wires signal?
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Participant

PT100 4 Wire.

06/06/2012 1:55 AM

dear engineers,

i have pt100 4 wire used to sense motor winding temperature, i have to connect it with temperature monitor system (TEC NT-538) where i have only 3 inputs.

pt100 4 wire = two red + two white.

tempt. control device = two red + one white.

please advice, if i connect two red and short two white at temt. control device, is there any complication.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 1728

Re: pt100 4 wire.

06/06/2012 2:29 AM
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

06/06/2012 2:33 AM

I'm not sure, but I think on the 4-wire RTD you should use just one of the white wires and ignore the other. (The idea is to keep the resistance the same in all of the used wires.) But to be sure, you should check the RTD wiring diagram.

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467

06/06/2012 2:37 AM

Connect red and white to resistance inputs, other white to 3rd terminal. Cut back (if long) and insulate remaining red.

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Apple II -

Good Answers: 46

Re: PT100 4 Wire.

06/06/2012 4:02 PM

Both Tornado and JohnDG are correct: don't connect the second white wire of the RTD to the "white" terminal on the monitor system. The reason for this is that 3-wire systems are able to compensate for wire resistance only if the two current-carrying wires have exactly the same amount of end-to-end resistance, and therefore drop exactly the same amount of end-to-end voltage.

If you were to land the second white wire to the same monitor terminal as the first white wire, it would parallel the two white wires, resulting in that wire pair having approximately half the resistance as a single red wire. Therefore, a measurement error will result. The longer the cable, the greater the error, all other factors being equal.

Power-User

Good Answers: 6

06/07/2012 10:21 AM

Imran,

A 4 wire RTD is used for more accurate measuring where resolution and reliability is critical:

1. Both red wires are attached to the (+) (same point) junction on the RTD.

2. Both white wires are attached to the (-) (same point) junction on the RTD.

3. A pair (One (1) red and One (1) white) provide the actual feedback signal to your monitoring device (PLC I/O, controller, display etc.).

4. There is no way to get exact wire/cable length distances when the instrumentation is installed, and in critical applications a deviation of small magnitude can cause significant process control error(s).

5. The second/other red & wite wires are used to measure the impedance/resistance of the circuit so that the monitoring device can "null" the impedance of the cable/wiring between the RTD and the monitoring device.

6. This provides maximum temperature signal feedback accuracy and a means of isolated feedback alarming if either the red or white wire express "out-of-range' readings or failure.

The 3 wire RTD functions the same as a 4 wire RTD however, it uses one monitor wire in conjunction with one of the sensing leads to facilitate use of the feedback signal as a means of measuring the cable/wire length to "null" out the added impedance and correct the offset.

This may seem confusing:

Any 4 wire RTD will work in a 3 wire design application.

A 3 wire RTD will not work properly in a 4 wire design application as the "nulling" circuit will cause/show a "failed" RTD an/or the readings will be inaccurate (offset).

Most manufacturers provide connection diagrams with their product that illustrate how to adapt and install/use a 4 wire in a 3 wire application.

Go to omega.com on the internet and download their free technical files that come with their catalogues. You can get a hardcopy "hard-bound" set of reference books, cd, or e-form documents. (your choice) There is a wealth of information in their documentation that will help.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Power-User

In reply to #5

06/11/2012 8:40 AM

Hi All,

Please refer to the vendor and request for more detail on the RTD/TC

Regards

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 818
In reply to #6

11/12/2020 8:02 AM

GA.

It's probably even in the instruction leaflet that came with it.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

JohnDG (1); PWSlack (1); ronron (1); SHOCKISCAN (1); SolarEagle (1); tonykuphaldt (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: PLC Digital Output Card is It Only Give 500mA?   Next in Forum: What is 2 wires signal and 3 wires signal?

Advertisement