Previous in Forum: Shrikumar   Next in Forum: Google Doodles - The Olympics
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Petroleum Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member

Good Answers: 149

Converting an Already Modelled Part/Assembly in Solidworks to a Macro

08/07/2012 12:51 PM

OK, I know it is possible to distribute a macro that generates a part and/or assembly in any version of Solidworks as far back as 2001. Baldor for instance distributes their models in that manner. What I want to do is do the reverse. Take a model and generate a macro from the data in the feature tree so that I can pass that macro on to someone who is using an earlier version of solidworks. I have a feeling that this can be done since it is possible to save features off as library features and the system can save earlier versions of parasolid kernal files, but Dassault won't help or even admit it is possible because they want to try to force everyone to buy the upgrades, which makes sharing models with customers and vendors that have a lot of time and money invested in earlier versions and can't make the business case to upgrade yet very difficult. Does anyone know of a utility that will do this?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1726

Re: Converting an Already Modelled Part/Assembly in Solidworks to a Macro

08/07/2012 2:31 PM

I am not familiar with this software, but there might be something here...

http://solidsmack.com/category/resources/

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Petroleum Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member

In reply to #1

08/08/2012 11:17 AM

hmm, not sure that solves my specific problem but interesting.... thanks.

08/08/2012 9:27 AM

That is an excellent idea for backwards compatiblity and although I haven't tried it and I am not sure of the limitations, you could possibly start the macro record when you begin modeling the part so that when you are done you should have a recorded macro. I have not run across any method of taking an existing component and converting that to a macro, but if you do find one, please post as that could be extremely useful.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #2

08/08/2012 10:51 AM

problem with that plan is that you have to know from the outset that you need to generate a macro of the part. PLUS I'm not aware of a way to edit the part macro to accommodate any changes that might have to be made in the lifetime of the part. a utility that would take a already modeled part would alleviate those issues.

In reply to #3

08/08/2012 11:45 AM

If you search the Solidworks forum, there is some discussion going on over there that might provide some insight into an approach. Another thing to keep in mind, and I have never seen a macro generated part incorporate it, would be to try and drive as many of your features as possible with a design table.

Good luck, if you do find a way, please share.

Cheers

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

08/08/2012 12:29 PM

CADENAS GmbH in Germany is the company that Baldor contracted with to supply the macro models.

http://baldor.sp01.partcommunity.com/PARTcommunity/Portal/baldor

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Rorschach (3); rsanderson (2); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: Shrikumar   Next in Forum: Google Doodles - The Olympics

Advertisement